Hello, can I come in please?

castaway

Hello! I've been lurking outside for a while and thought maybe it was time for me to come in from the cold.....you all seem very helpful, and I could certainly do with some advice.

Well,..I'm 47 and was diagnosed with Type 1 last November. It was totally unexpected, I went to the doctor after realising I'd lost a stone in weight in two weeks, had insatiable thirst and was just feeling a bit out of sorts. My BG was high and so I was admitted to hospital the same day. They let me out that evening and I went back the following morning to be taught how to inject etc.

I saw a Consultant in January, had blood tests and a chat with the dietician but apart from that I have been left totally alone. In the very beginning, the nurse phoned each day to take my BG readings and tell me how much to inject, but by Christmas that had all stopped and I was on my own.

I had to go to the doctor last week about something completely different and so asked for my blood test results ( otherwise I wouldn't have seen the results for 6 months! ) My HBA1C was 8.9 and cholesterol was 4.7

I seem to be in the "honeymoon period" as I'm on very little insulin now. I take 1.5 units of Humalog for breakfast, 3 for lunch, 5 for dinner and 3 units of Lantus at bedtime. Does this all sound normal? I just feel like I'm guessing at amounts all the time which results im my BG levels going all over the place. I know it's early days but I feel a bit abandoned!

Sorry this is such a long post, maybe I should have come in sooner!

Sarah

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Sarah.
Welcome to the Forum. Have a good look around and ask your questions. There is uasually someone with an answer.

There is a Type 1 area here as well. As I am a T2 I will leave you to await the arrival of our resident T1's who I am sure will advise you better than I on Insulin and other things.

You are very welcome on the forum, and I am sure you will get to know all the friendly folk on here.

Ken

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
HI Sarah,

Welcome to this community. I have been here for about a month as a type 2 diagnosed in January and the support and advice has really helped.

Like you, i felt that the health proffessionals had left me alone and i didn't know which way to turn. I am now getting on top of my condition and learning to help control with low carb dieting - an excellent section of the forum.

We all have our good days and bad days and you can post all things on here. There is always someone that knows how you feel and can offer help.

Best wishes

Carl

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Castaway and welcome to the forum. :D

It is such a steep learning curve, seems so particularly for T1s, so hope all goes well for you and you quickly get to grips with everything.

Lots of help to be found on here and I am sure there will be a T1 along very soon. 8)

finney

Hi Sarah
I have just joined this site too. Diaganosed myself at 65 years - 18 months ago. It was very confusing at first and I got very angry as no one gave me the skills to work out the hows and whys.

ASAP I recommend you go an Diabetes UK weekend course (saved my sanity) and nag and nag until they put you on a Carb Counting course or give you individual tuition. Now I manage very well, feel very confident even in a recent crisis with toothache. My Diabetic Team decided I was also a brittle diabetic and I was offered a pump in September, it arrived last week and am to have it fitted mid March. I am very lucky. Almost all the time I am very well. Walk dogs, swim a bit and play a lot of golf. Golf can be tricky.

Keep demanding attention. The NHS seems very overloaded now and you have to fight for what you want.

Good luck tricia

irishrichard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the site :)
people on here are extremely nice and pass on great information so you won't regret joining

castaway

Many thanks for all your replies, I feel better already!! :D

It's nice to come on here and find people who are all going through the same thing, it can sometimes feel like a very isolating condition can't it?

frenchkittie

Hi Sarah, like you I was diagnosed Type 1 in November, and am in the honeymoon period (and we're about the same age too). The only difference is that I live in France, and my level of care, advice and general hand-holding have been very good.

Having said that, the most useful stuff I've learned has definitely come from this forum, and thanks to what I've learned here my control and BG levels are really pretty good. So take some time to have a good read, and feel free to ask as many questions as you need.

castaway said:
I seem to be in the "honeymoon period" as I'm on very little insulin now. I take 1.5 units of Humalog for breakfast, 3 for lunch, 5 for dinner and 3 units of Lantus at bedtime. Does this all sound normal? I just feel like I'm guessing at amounts all the time which results im my BG levels going all over the place.
Sarah

"Normal" varies for everyone, depending on how many carbohydrates you eat at each meal and how active you are, but if your BG levels are "all over the place", then I'd say that you need some more help and encouragement. The recommended BG levels are 4-7 before meals , and less than 9 after meals. Can you speak to your Diabetes Nurse again?

Also, ask if you can attand a DAFNE course...
http://www.dafne.uk.com/scripts/typeonediabetes/typeonediabetes.html

Good luck!