Hello everyone

Lucie216

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My name is Lucie, I'm 35 from the UK and was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic around 2 weeks ago.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welome,

A couple of questions if you don't mind. What was your HbA1c? Have you been prescribed any medication?

A little about me- I'm a lot older than you and overweight. When I was diagnosed I was devastated. The advice from my doctor was to reduce portion size (? assumptions ) and eat healthy carbs- don't test my levels and at some stage I would need to start insulin. I found this site- went very low carb. HbA1c well within normal from first test after diagnosis- 3 months in and remaining in normal range and have lost weight. My doctor horrified but unable (not unwilling) to argue that low carb is working- very unhappy with method albeit happy with result.

So have you been told not to test your levels or to test them. No matter the advice my strong recommendation is to get a meter and test. This is the only way to work out what effect whatever you are eating is having on your levels. Without this information you cannot make informed choices.

My second recommendation is to at least log your carb intake- other advice very much depends on whether you are on medication.

Read around and post- I promise you have found the best place in the world (in my opinion) for anyone diagnosed with diabetes.

Welcome.

Reactions: Lucie216

Lucie216

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi thanks for the reply.

My HbA1c was 65. My doctor wanted me to take medication but without explaining much about the condition to me. I have since seen the diabetic nurse who was very helpful with lots of information. I decided I would rather try diet control first and then look at medication if there's no improvement, so I've got 3 months to lose some weight and hopefully lower my HbA1c. The nurse said she would sort a testing metre for me at my next appointment in 3 months time as it was a lot of info to take in at once. I've been calorie counting and so far lost half a stone, I'm struggling a little with the carb counting but have just ordered some books regarding carb and calorie counting so hopefully that will help too

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My name is Lucie, I'm 35 from the UK and was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic around 2 weeks ago.
Hello Lucie,

Welcome to the club, though I'm sorry about your diagnosis. Is here anything we can help you with? If you do have questions, give a shout. I'm assuming you're getting the Carbs & Cals book? You're doing well with the weight loss, which should help some with any insulin resistance you might have, but really, counting carbs is a tad more important than calories, in the long run. Carbs directly affect blood sugars. So if you need some extra help there, do let us know eh? Also, I don't know whether your nurse'll be able to swing a meter (most T2's don't get one funded by the NHS unless they're on blood sugar lowering medication like gliclazide or insulin), and having to wait three months is a bit long... You can't see what is happening with your blood sugars and what meals agree which you and which don't. There's no other way to tell other than to test, I'm afraid. But all in all you've hit the ground running, which is really good! If you want to know more about this whole diabetes deal before your book comes in, https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help some, as can dietdoctor.com . Also, if you want us to sort through your meals and drinks in an average day and see if anything raises a red flag, go ahead and list them. If not, no pressure. ;)

Good luck and again, welcome!
Jo

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lucie welcome to the forum.
This is the right place.Take time get a cuppa and study on here.You will learn a lot from friendly and supportive people who have been through it.We get it
I put my T2 in remission within 6 months and dropped BP and cholesterol and fatty liver etc.It can be done.
I do not wish to lecture but for brevity some bullet points or topics to study here:
Low carb lifestyle ( let’s not use diet).
Get your medical data all of it especially hbA1c
Eat to your meter
Take some exercise even walking
Read up on ‘what have you eaten today’( this lot are inventive ).

It is confusing at first but you have to take control and that requires knowledge and that knowledge is here.

Hope that helps just stick with us and you will be fine.

DisFanJen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

I'd say welcome to the club but while we're all friendly here we'd really prefer no new members for obvious reasons, so let's go wit welcome to the forum. :)

Sounds like you've got a good plan in place which is great. I'd highly recommend the Carbs and Cals app, pretty much everything from the book but you can actually work out and record your meals in it, set targets, etc. It can be a little glitchy but I swear by it.