Hello Everyone

DB261171

Where do i start???

I am 37 and been T1 diabetic since i was 8. didn't really have any problems until 2005 when lost sight in my eye due to diabetic retinopathy. since then dvla in their wisdom has taken driving licence off me even though have never had accident since i have been driving.

Am on 4 injections daily and trying to lose weight but can't shift it. Father is diabetic and he is now having kidney problems with being sick and waiting for transplant. Just wish i could turn back time and do all the things that you are / are not supposed to do with being a diabetic - control the blood sugars / don't drink too much alcohol / don't eat chocolate etc, etc,.

For all those who have just become diabetic it is imperative that you do all the the blood sugar and eye checks that you have to. in the back of my mind is that the sight in my other eye will go due to my own stupidity.

Apologies if this message seems a bit morbid but all these issues do get me down and it is good that i now have somewhere to post my feelings.

DB

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum ,DB. have a good read round and just maybe you will find some help to get better control of your diabetes and keep the sight in your other eye.Some of the damages diabetes does can be reversed with better control as long as they have not gone too far.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi DB
Hope we can make you feel better
Have you tried altering your eatin to a lower carb intake. It reduces your need for insulin and can help with weight. It has even been known to help with retinopathy, but even though it may not help the eye that has deteriorated badly, it might protect the other. Since it costs nothing, and can't harm you, it is worth a try. Look on the "Success Stories" thread

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome to the forum :D