Hello from a new T2

Cath16

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. My name is Cath, age 52, married to a wonderful man and have 2 fantastic kids.

I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago with T2 after having lots of the usual symptoms and finally accepting that I really should go to see my GP to get checked. I had bought a BG testing kit and had varying levels between 12.3 (my lowest FBG) and 19.3. My HB1 test came back at 81 or 9.5 which I know is not good. Was immediately put on Metformin which is now at 2x500mg twice daily. As I have HBP which I am also on medication for I am now also taking a daily dose of baby Aspirin.

Since then, with my husbands support, we have been watching (and reduced) our carb intake quite well. We have cut out white bread, white pasta, chocolate biscuits and cakes etc and I think this, combined with the tablets, is starting to show results. I wonder though if people with more experience could offer me some information/advice.

My morning FBG has been around 8.5 for the last week or so which I am really pleased about even though it's still high cos it's a bit of an improvement. I have been testing before and after eating and those levels are improving too.

Here comes the question (which is probably stupid) but I'll ask anyway. I have had a few times when my BG has gone down 7 or just under. I feel absolutely starving and a bit shaky. Why is this? Is it just that these levels are a lot lower than my body is used to? Will it gradually get used to it and not feel as bad? I know it will just have to but any words of reassurance would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Cath

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Cath, I'm sure that Daisy will be along shortly with the advise for the newly diagosed, but you're probably getting "false" hypo symptoms because your body is used to running at the higher BG level than it should, as it gets used to "normal" levels this should ease off. BTW welcome to the club, have a good nose around the site and as as many questions as you want, they're a helpful bunch on here. Most of us only speak from personal experience though and what works for us might not work for you, so try, test and try again.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Yes, your false hypos should fade away. As you probably know already it's not until you go below 4mmol when settled for a hypo to possibly appear. The better diet should help reduce any excess weight and reduce blood sugar at the same time. The Metformin will also help a bit.

Cath16

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.