Hello from the Midlands

aparsonsmoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, my name is Alex and I was recently diagnosed with T2D. Lots of people noticed I was losing weight and some 'friends' pointed out that this was great unless it was the big C. However, it coincided with me feeling unquenchable thirst and a need to p*ss all the time. In some ways it's a perverse illness, forcing me to adopt a way of life that I would like to revert to. However, I know that this would be detrimental to my health and in 3 months, I haven't had sugar in my coffee, a piece of chocolate or a biscuit.

The upside, I have returned to cycling, a sport that I love and can now get home from work in under 45 minutes and at an average speed of 18mph. Unthinkable 6 months ago. I also have started wearing suits that were on the way to the bin as having been too tight to get on.

So in may ways this is a double edged sword - a means to reevaluate what life means and to take steps to improve it, but the realisation that this could have potentially been avoided.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi and welcome to the forums, if you were losing weight (unexpectedly) before you got your diagnosis did you get any tests to see which type of Diabetes it is, because unexpected weight lose before diagnosis can be a sign of Type 1 rather than Type 2.

Do you know what yours sugars normally are - ie do you have a blood test meter so you can check?

aparsonsmoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the forums, if you were losing weight (unexpectedly) before you got your diagnosis did you get any tests to see which type of Diabetes it is, because unexpected weight lose before diagnosis can be a sign of Type 1 rather than Type 2.

Do you know what yours sugars normally are - ie do you have a blood test meter so you can check?

Thanks for the response. I didn't have any tests prior to the diagnosis. Had a variety of blood test due to the weight loss and symptoms and was then diagnosed as type 2. Since then I was given a blood test meter and prescribed medication. All the symptoms have largely disappeared and bloods usually within the range I was told.

Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the response. I didn't have any tests prior to the diagnosis. Had a variety of blood test due to the weight loss and symptoms and was then diagnosed as type 2. Since then I was given a blood test meter and prescribed medication. All the symptoms have largely disappeared and bloods usually within the range I was told.
Hello!
I’m from near the midlands originally too and your symptoms matched mine when I was diagnosed back in the day. Although weight loss is often with type 1 it can be with type 2 also. I remember it was so quick, I’d had pre diabetic levels for a while (but not told what to do about them) and then suddenly chained to the sink, drinking like it was going out of fashion and losing a load of weight quickly

the pills and other drugs stabilised it pretty quickly but it’s taken me too long to get into the exercise regime and I am finding reducing my carbs has helped too.

stopping the biscuits and chocolate etc is one thing but dropping carbs is a whole different challenge but this condition is not always treated by doctors the way that works best for us.

drugs worked for me for years and still help, but I had to seriously look at my weight and carbs recently as the drugs were starting to not work as well.

what drugs are you on and what’s your blood levels?

aparsonsmoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello!
I’m from near the midlands originally too and your symptoms matched mine when I was diagnosed back in the day. Although weight loss is often with type 1 it can be with type 2 also. I remember it was so quick, I’d had pre diabetic levels for a while (but not told what to do about them) and then suddenly chained to the sink, drinking like it was going out of fashion and losing a load of weight quickly

the pills and other drugs stabilised it pretty quickly but it’s taken me too long to get into the exercise regime and I am finding reducing my carbs has helped too.

stopping the biscuits and chocolate etc is one thing but dropping carbs is a whole different challenge but this condition is not always treated by doctors the way that works best for us.

drugs worked for me for years and still help, but I had to seriously look at my weight and carbs recently as the drugs were starting to not work as well.

what drugs are you on and what’s your blood levels?
Hi Andydragon

Thank you for your reply. I've seen about dropping the carbs on here, but not looked at it in any great detail, which I will do.

The exercise regime wasn't really difficult for me to get into. Ironically, the rapid weight loss helped with this as I was able to cycle more freely than I had been able to do so for many years.

I am currently on Metformin, a statin and a replacement drug for the Gliclazide. Blood sugars range from 5.2 to 7.2 although occasionally go higher than that.

Reactions: KB1978