Hello & Test Strip Availability

Bodybones28

Hi

My name's Peter and I've been type 2 for last 10 years, I regularly look at the forum but this is my first posting. My diabetes is well controlled and thankfully I have no problems, my last 6 month blood reading was 6.3 with cholestoral at 3.8.

Like all of you out there I was told I was no longer able to obtain test strips as being type 2 there was no need for me to test! This has continued to make me annoyed with my surgery, well, that was until today when my Doctor (reluctantly) allowed me 2 test strips a year, I think purely down to my polite but persuasive manner.

I just wanted to say that there is still hope in getting test strips again on prescription, albeit in my case after 6 months of refusal, so please don't feel it's a never ending battle.

This is a good forum with lots of good advice from people who know, so anyone who has problems will not feel alone. Well done to you all.

Regards

Peter

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Two test strips a year - can they afford it :?: :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I'm hoping you meant 2 BOXES a year ? However that in itself is totally ridiculous. :roll: No way is that enough to help maintain good control over a year.

Not all of us have problems though....it all boils down to cash strapped PCT's and a negative attitude towards testing, especially if you are a T2. My GP allows me to have 200 strips a month and more if I need.....an enlightened man and also someone who basically tells the PCT 'where to go !' Brave soul :D

Ken

Bodybones28

I am thankful for 2 boxes a year. That's 100 strips out of 365. I don't need to test every day as that would be pointless for me, and a waste of money but I'm aware other people have different needs. I'm grateful for what I get.

If you get 200 test strips a month how often do you test? What's your glucose levels like?

Peter

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
My levels are perfect for me, no more than 7 mmol/l most days.

I test frequently as I am trying to avoid hypo's due to being over medicated after a recent bout of anti Cancer treatment and recovery. Just had to reduce my dose of Byetta because of this. I test probably
6 - 7 times daily as I also drive long distances frequently and need my wits about me.

I prefer to keep a tight control of my Diabetes, I couldn't just rely on a HbA1c reading......that misses out any highs and lows. My Endo/SDSN/GP all are happy with what I do. My way of dealing with my Diabetes.

I do get 200 a month.....that doesn't mean to say I USE that many.......depends on the circumstances. I do have some left over some months, so I am never short. I am one of the lucky ones I suppose.

Ken

Dislikes
Smoking, poor oral hygeine, tatoos
Hello all,

I'm T2, have been for 12 years, but I need insulin 'coz of other meds I take. My GP is another who tells the PCT where to go. When I'm really ill I get extras without any hassle as he knows I need to test even more. As it is I do 4-5 a day normally but it can get up to 10 at times! My poor fingers... :(

Regards from Thea