Hello

gazzab

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I'm Gary, aged 48 type 2 of 15 years.
A little about me I am separated for 24 months live with my son who is 15. I have a few complications of diabetes these are ED peripheral neuropathy in feet and hands. I was very recently diagnosed as suffering anxiety depression. I also suffer from shin problems knee problems lower back pain frozen shoulders and neck pain. I was prescribed with metformin for many years then Lantus painkillers and brufen anti-inflammatory, I am waiting for surgery on my shoulders.

Recently a doctors appointment the GP said to me why aren't you taking medication, to which I replied I honestly don't care. She asked me if I was suicidal which when I thought about it I am not, don't get me wrong if I was in the middle of the road crossing and a car came speeding to me I wouldn't leap out of its way, but I wouldn't jump from the pavement in front of a speeding car.

I am in constant pain from feet and no tablets have helped with that, this was why i was seeing my GP, from our conversation she diagnosed me with anxiety depression but has said before I go on tablets (which I wouldn't take anyway) she has requested that I be visited at home by therapists to help me, once she is happy I am taking tablets she then says she wants to address diabetes and complications. I can understand why she said this as I probably wouldn't take the tablets anyway.

My GP also recommended this site as a safe none judgmental site where I can talk to people who have probably suffered/suffering the same things, so here I am and hi btw

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi @gazzab, welcome to the forum. Sorry to read about all the **** life and diabetes is throwing your way. I will tag @daisy1 for a new members post for you tomorrow.

Hope you get what you need from being on the forum with people who understand. This place is a mine of information and experience.

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you able to control your diabetes just by diet?

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Have you tried gabapentin, it is supposed to be good for nerve pain. Maybe ask GP if you can try it.
Sorry you are in pain, I have chronic pain too from inflammatory arthritis.
Take care

gazzab

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
Have you tried gabapentin, it is supposed to be good for nerve pain. Maybe ask GP if you can try it.
Sorry you are in pain, I have chronic pain too from inflammatory arthritis.
Take care
for nerve pain i have tried Gabapentin, Tramadol, amytriptilin and duloxetine

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@gazzab

Hello Gazzab and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 259,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
i was seeing my GP, from our conversation she diagnosed me with anxiety depression but has said before I go on tablets (which I wouldn't take anyway) she has requested that I be visited at home by therapists to help me, once she is happy I am taking tablets she then says she wants to address diabetes and complications. I can understand why she said this as I probably wouldn't take the tablets anyway.
Hi @gazzab and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear of your physical and MH problems. I just wanted to ask why you wouldn't take medication for your anxiety depression.

I have coped with episodes of depression for over 50 years. I didn't like the idea of taking anti-depressants, but found that they were the only way to cope. I would stop taking them as soon as I started to feel better, then the depression would recur.
The episodes got closer and closer together, and two years ago I decided to stay on the anti-depressants permanently, as I couldn't take the 6-8 weeks of mental pain before they took effect again.

I think the depression partly contributed to my Type 2 Diabetes, as I was eating junk food and comfort eating sweet stuff because I couldn't be bothered to cook healthy food.
Staying on the anti-depressants has meant I could take action to deal with the T2 diabetes. If I was still in depression, the overwhelming dark thoughts and hopelessness would have prevented me from dealing with the diabetes.

I think you should consider taking anti-dp medication to control your MH condition, before you are able mentally to deal with your diabetes and other physical conditions.
Take care.

gazzab

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @gazzab and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear of your physical and MH problems. I just wanted to ask why you wouldn't take medication for your anxiety depression.

I have coped with episodes of depression for over 50 years. I didn't like the idea of taking anti-depressants, but found that they were the only way to cope. I would stop taking them as soon as I started to feel better, then the depression would recur.
The episodes got closer and closer together, and two years ago I decided to stay on the anti-depressants permanently, as I couldn't take the 6-8 weeks of mental pain before they took effect again.

I think the depression partly contributed to my Type 2 Diabetes, as I was eating junk food and comfort eating sweet stuff because I couldn't be bothered to cook healthy food.
Staying on the anti-depressants has meant I could take action to deal with the T2 diabetes. If I was still in depression, the overwhelming dark thoughts and hopelessness would have prevented me from dealing with the diabetes.

I think you should consider taking anti-dp medication to control your MH condition, before you are able mentally to deal with your diabetes and other physical conditions.
Take care.

Hi, Thanks for your reply.
I havent been given anti depressents at all i was prescribed amytriptilinefor neuropathy but they never worked so i stopped after 2 months, in fact i stopped taking any medication there are 2 reasons for this. firstly I couldnt care less if i get better or worse, my GP tells me this is the Depression and secondly i could never rememnber to take the tablets even sparodically i have had prescritptions filled and simply stuffed them in a drawer and left them there. I recently asked my pharmacy to collect these out of date and old tablets. They took away over 3 full carrier bags worth. I honestly dont see a way through this. i did a blood check using my glucose moniter for the first time ever and having had nothing to eat for several hours it read 16.1.

I wish i could get the motivation to do something but i dont see the point, I honestly believe i wouldntbe missed if i wasnt here and if i was a braver man i would consider ending it, but i dont have the nerve for that. Who would have guessed cowardice has kept me alive.

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
I joined this forum one week ago, and I am so glad that I did, great people here, I am diabetic type 2, have PTSD and did have serious depression, like you, I just did not care, add to this 4 fractures in my spine, both hips shot, every joint and muscle group in pain, the only reason to stick with it was my family.

The reality is that you can be either your best friend or worse enemy, and in reality, the only person to get you through is you. Others can help and advise, but you have to make the descision.

It is common for diabetics to get depressed, me, I quit all drugs except metformin, went on a low carb high fat diet, it is still early doors, but I am losing weight, my blood sugars are falling, I am making low carb eating fun not a chore, and my mood is not as dark, I am discovering the land of hope, with my injuries, it is hard to excercise, but I have bought a 12 month pass to Newquay zoo, I visit it often, and I walk whilst being fascinated at the antics of the meerkats,monkeys etc. I used to struggle around on a pair of crutches, now I can get around with a stick. Recently I was told that the diabetes has attacked my heart, just another hurdle to overcome. But I will overcome,

Stick with this group buddy, try the low carb diet, avoid spuds, rice pasta flour, all starchy foods and root veg, there is plenty of info about it here, discover cooking veg in butter and double cream. The best person to save you is...you. But we are all here if you need a mate.

gazzab

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I joined this forum one week ago, and I am so glad that I did, great people here, I am diabetic type 2, have PTSD and did have serious depression, like you, I just did not care, add to this 4 fractures in my spine, both hips shot, every joint and muscle group in pain, the only reason to stick with it was my family.

The reality is that you can be either your best friend or worse enemy, and in reality, the only person to get you through is you. Others can help and advise, but you have to make the descision.

It is common for diabetics to get depressed, me, I quit all drugs except metformin, went on a low carb high fat diet, it is still early doors, but I am losing weight, my blood sugars are falling, I am making low carb eating fun not a chore, and my mood is not as dark, I am discovering the land of hope, with my injuries, it is hard to excercise, but I have bought a 12 month pass to Newquay zoo, I visit it often, and I walk whilst being fascinated at the antics of the meerkats,monkeys etc. I used to struggle around on a pair of crutches, now I can get around with a stick. Recently I was told that the diabetes has attacked my heart, just another hurdle to overcome. But I will overcome,

Stick with this group buddy, try the low carb diet, avoid spuds, rice pasta flour, all starchy foods and root veg, there is plenty of info about it here, discover cooking veg in butter and double cream. The best person to save you is...you. But we are all here if you need a mate.

Thanks for your reply, i honestly just wish i could get rid of this huge black blanket that has me smothered

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
Two cannibals were eating a clown, one turned to the other and said, "does this taste funny to you"

You can do it mate, pull up yer socks, and make the first positive move. Even if you have to force it at first.

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
being naturally cheerful I have found that the only times I have been at all dismal were when forced into eating what is obviously not my natural diet - though I had my blood test done after a carb laden lunch and it was 17.1 - when I got the diagnosis I dropped in at the butcher and ordered a freezer full of meat. That was over a year ago now, and in 80 days my Hba1c was below diabetic so I can only urge you to get yourself some foods which are good to eat and will not raise your blood sugars.
Last night for dinner I had avocado cauliflower and sirloin steak, berries and cream and coffee, also with cream. Dead easy to prepare and even easier to eat and enjoy.

gazzab

Type of diabetes
Type 2
being naturally cheerful I have found that the only times I have been at all dismal were when forced into eating what is obviously not my natural diet - though I had my blood test done after a carb laden lunch and it was 17.1 - when I got the diagnosis I dropped in at the butcher and ordered a freezer full of meat. That was over a year ago now, and in 80 days my Hba1c was below diabetic so I can only urge you to get yourself some foods which are good to eat and will not raise your blood sugars.
Last night for dinner I had avocado cauliflower and sirloin steak, berries and cream and coffee, also with cream. Dead easy to prepare and even easier to eat and enjoy.

Not that long ago i would say i always said the glass was half full rather than half empty, I guess the main thing is motivation. In a short period of time i lost my father and my marriage fell apart. I started with serious issues with my feet, having suffered with knee and shin problems for many years. I also have hip problems lower back problems and 2 frozen shoulders i ache all over. I also have arthritis in my hands.

I want to give myself a kick up the bum and get going but i dont have the energy or the will to do anything about it. I am hoping the therapist that visits at home will help me. Don't get me wrong i know there are people worse off than me and i wish i could feel sympathy in fact i wish i could feel anything other than pain.

I know i should take any tablets prescribed, but i dont and at the end of the day i have only myself to blame for it all.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I havent been given anti depressents at all

i honestly just wish i could get rid of this huge black blanket that has me smothered

Hi @gazzab You should ask your GP for help in treating your depression. It can be treated by counselling and/or medication.
The anti-depressants have helped me. They do take a few weeks to build up in your system before they take effect, but I don't think I could cope without them.

gazzab

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @gazzab You should ask your GP for help in treating your depression. It can be treated by counselling and/or medication.
The anti-depressants have helped me. They do take a few weeks to build up in your system before they take effect, but I don't think I could cope without them.
Hi Prem51,
My GP wants me to start the therapy so i will start to take medication. Honestly if i was given medication now I wouldn't take it itso there is no point getting any,

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
All I can say buddy is, if you have metformin, take it, if you are drinking, stop it, go on a low carb diet, lose a few pounds and you will lower your blood glucose, you might feel like xxxx but I don't suppose your son is thrilled either, at 15 he needs you, his head must also be spinning, and watching you go down must be real bad for him, and if you do nothing, he will be faced at a young age with being alone. So pull up yer socks, shake your feathers and get on with it. Put yourself in your sons shoes, would you want to wear them?

I don't know all the answers, all I can say is look at your problems, can you fix them, if the answer is not today, lock them away and get on with it, in a few days unlock them, can you deal with some of them? Fine do it, if not lick them away again.

Your son needs you, and in a few years so will your grandchildren, if you want to go to his wedding, and in the future hold your grandchildren in your arms, then today is as good a day as you will get to start turning things around. Take your metformin. If you don't have any, get some on Monday.

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Gary & welcome.
I think you've come to the right place. You will get lots of support and practical advice here. It sounds as though you've had a few turmoils the past couple of years and those mount up on your health. I think you already appreciate that diabetes is at the root of a lot of the problems, so let's see what the good folks here can do for you. But the start of your turnaround is to recognise the mental depression is medical, that you will need to approach your path to health and happiness again with positivity and perseverance.
So, with regards to your T2d control, tell us how you monitor it - are you testing your blood glucose at the moment? If not, persuade your GP that you have serious problems that you want to address and that you think tracking it, even if you test once a day, is part if the fix. With luck, they'll prescribe you one; if not, get a cheap one like SD code free or similar.
Secondly, what is your diet like? Do you cook for yourself? Drink? What about exercise?
I appreciate these are all repeats of what the doc has probably already ask you, but we can dispense top tips in abundance.
Lastly, would your son help you out if he thought he would get a happy dad back?

Reactions: Biggles2 and Prem51