Hello

thesmileyone

I am sort of pre-diabetic I think.

I used to be near 400lb, now around 320.

I have a problem with where I was abused when young and I ate chocolate to cope and it became an anchor and so every time I felt bad I would eat sweets. I managed to negate this for a year or so through an expensive hypnotist but due to high IQ and low persuasiveness the hypnosis wore off.

M

Member496333

Hi!

Do you have any symptoms? Being overweight doesn’t necessarily mean you are going to get diabetes. It almost certainly means you have elevated blood insulin concentration, but many people have a bulletproof pancreas that can keep up. Think of your excess fat as your body’s natural way to safely store unused glucose.

Of course that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t intervene, but I wouldn’t automatically panic unless you have symptoms associated with diabetes. It’s a ticking time bomb though in many cases, so you should maybe see a doctor and express your concerns. Do some reading here on low carbohydrate eating and see if it’s perhaps something you think you may benefit from.

And enjoy the forums. It’s one of the friendliest internet communities I’ve ever been fortunate enough to join :)

thesmileyone

I get reactive hypo sometimes, "food coma" and I also get shakes if I have not had carbs for a while, which tends to be around 20 hours. If I can stick to 20 hour fast 4 hour window I do quite fine but half an hour over and I get the shakes.

I got a blood glucose meter lately and have been fine but today after 20 hours and light shakes it registered "Lo" twice which is worrying as that means <1mmol/g.

I have just had some soup and some chocolate and a bit of fruit juice and can feel the "high" coming so gonna test again in a few mins then again in 2 hours and see where I'm at.

This is ofcourse if the £17 kit is accurate.

I have 3 month spaced doctors checkups as he is worried about T2 at my bodyweight but they always come back as "perfect" including blood pressure. The only wierdness is my blood always comes back with slightly higher white blood cell count...for the last 8 years.

M

Member496333

Unfortunately your doctor probably isn’t testing for any insulin abnormality.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Normally, if not enough blood on the sticks the meter will give you some kind of error sign depending on the model. It won't give you a random number. By the way, a blood glucose level of <1mmol/m would signify life threatening circumstances, that figure is not just 'Lo' it is extreme.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK so it appears I am not getting enough blood on the sticks.

Test 20 mins after food - 8.6

Why are you testing 20 mins after food. Fundamentally as waste of strips. You need to wait at least 90 mins. Even non diabetics with the greatest of response will spike to one extent immediately after food but then sort it out quickly, which is the bit type 2 can’t do.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are sensitive to carbs, getting sleepy after meals, then I'd advise avoiding high carb food and drink, go for lower carb foods as that seems to be the key to avoiding extremes of high and low blood glucose.
Fruit juice is not a good idea, but coffee with cream seems to help a lot of people - as long as it is not strong enough to cause palpitations.
Those who are glucose sensitive often suffer from easy weightgain, which low carb can help with a lot - and it can ease stress and strain too, though I do not know if it is acting on the emotions directly or if the extra energy promotes more physical activity which alters things.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those numbers are not particularly high - I should not worry too much about them if you are consuming high carb food and drink then they are probably a normal reaction.

M

Member496333

I’m not sure I’d agree that 8.8mmol/L five hours after eating should be described as not particularly high. In my view it indicates insulin resistance which is becoming a problem beyond just putting on weight.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you get the details of exactly which tests your dr has done and the scores? Ask the drs surgery for these details.

Have you checked the obvious with your meter eg batteries and the instructions for what error messages mean what precisely.

As well as a fasting level for diagnosis or not the amount you rise by 2hrs after food as compared to what you were at immediately before eating indicates how well you processed that particular meal. Post a few of the before and after figures along with which food you ate and we’ll see what we can make of it.

thesmileyone

They won't give me scores. They just did a full spectrum fasting blood test - high WBC's, everything else normal or within ranges. Perfect blood pressure, which surprised him. Was diagnosed anxiety and offered depressants.

Broke 16 hour fast earlier with a large bowl of veg soup. half an hour later I feel sleepy. Done glucose test and it just says "Lo"

eUvD3XM.jpg

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you in the U.K.? They have to give you the scores and the test names. It may need to go via a dr for approval but they can’t withhold it except in exceptional circumstances where to tell you would harm you. I was told normal when in fact I was prediabetic and even in diabetic range at least once in the 4 yrs before diagnosis.

Honestly I’m thinking there’s may be a problem with your monitor. Half an hour after eating and showing low when allegedly your blood tests are normal sounds distinctly odd. Have you changed batteries? Can you access another monitor for a comparison? Possibly at a chemist who do fingerprick checks? Though I confess low readings are not something I have to contend with or any experience of. Do you take any meds?