Debbiedodah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Can’t think of any
Hello everyone,
I’m Debbie, 56 years old, edging towards 57 (which I’m trying to do slowly!)
I was diagnosed last week with type 2 and am on a positive streak of ‘thank goodness I will feel better’ after having just about every symptom since just before Christmas!
My BG was anything between 21.6 and 27.7. HbA1c 120, kidneys were good, liver was slightly up (whatever that means- I should of asked!) and no ketones . I’m on Gliclazide and staying off high carbs and BG is just into single figures .
I have been mooching around the forums and have found lots of helpful advice. Thank you for that and I look forward to mooching a lot more.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @Debbiedodah. Have a read round the forum and ask any questions you want to.
The people on here are friendly and supportive and you will get a lot of good advice.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Hey hey and welcome to the forum @Debbiedodah I do hope you enjoy your stay!

Reactions: Prem51

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Busy towns and cities, heavy traffic, noisy people, rubbishy televison or radio shows, rap music.
Hello everyone,
I’m Debbie, 56 years old, edging towards 57 (which I’m trying to do slowly!)
I was diagnosed last week with type 2 and am on a positive streak of ‘thank goodness I will feel better’
emoji2.png
after having just about every symptom since just before Christmas!
My BG was anything between 21.6 and 27.7. HbA1c 120, kidneys were good, liver was slightly up (whatever that means- I should of asked!) and no ketones
emoji2.png
. I’m on Gliclazide and staying off high carbs and BG is just into single figures
emoji2.png
I have been mooching around the forums and have found lots of helpful advice. Thank you for that and I look forward to mooching a lot more.

Hi to you,- Debbiedodah, a positive attitude is the best medicine you can have, and you appear to have that, just by knowing what it is, and saying -Okay lets beat this thing, gets you started to a better place with your life.
Have a look at the diet doctor site which will show you all the different foods and how they react, get yourself a test meter and do test regularly, it is the only way you will know what foods are doing what to you, do not let anyone, however knowledgeable they appear to be tell you not to test, it really is so very important for you to know how your body is reacting to different foods.

Initially Test before you eat, then 1 hour after to see the spike, then 2 hours after you have eaten, to see the result of how your system is coping, ideally your first test prior to eating and your last test 2 hours later should be within 2 mmol of each other.
Once you have gotten over the initial hunger pangs and learned what foods are good and what food spikes bad, you will find you know when you need to test, and will not be having to do the three stabs at the finger per meal.
You will be okay if you keep at it, I found the first month is the awkward time, and after that it gets better, never really easier, as we are surrounded by temptation, just remember, you are not alone, on here you are never alone, there will always be someone to walk by your side.

Debbiedodah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Can’t think of any
Hi to you,- Debbiedodah, a positive attitude is the best medicine you can have, and you appear to have that, just by knowing what it is, and saying -Okay lets beat this thing, gets you started to a better place with your life.
Have a look at the diet doctor site which will show you all the different foods and how they react, get yourself a test meter and do test regularly, it is the only way you will know what foods are doing what to you, do not let anyone, however knowledgeable they appear to be tell you not to test, it really is so very important for you to know how your body is reacting to different foods.

Initially Test before you eat, then 1 hour after to see the spike, then 2 hours after you have eaten, to see the result of how your system is coping, ideally your first test prior to eating and your last test 2 hours later should be within 2 mmol of each other.
Once you have gotten over the initial hunger pangs and learned what foods are good and what food spikes bad, you will find you know when you need to test, and will not be having to do the three stabs at the finger per meal.
You will be okay if you keep at it, I found the first month is the awkward time, and after that it gets better, never really easier, as we are surrounded by temptation, just remember, you are not alone, on here you are never alone, there will always be someone to walk by your side.

Thank you for all the great information Groundgripper.
After mooching about on here I did check out the Diet Doctor site and will be starting to use it to help me eat properly .
I have got a BG meter but my PN only wanted me to do checks first thing in the morning and 2 hours after my lunch and dinner! I will bring it up with her about doing it more often on my next visit.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
After mooching about on here I did check out the Diet Doctor site and will be starting to use it to help me eat properly .
I have got a BG meter but my PN only wanted me to do checks first thing in the morning and 2 hours after my lunch and dinner! I will bring it up with her about doing it more often on my next visit.
Hi and welcome! Even though I am not Type 2, I do know that no matter how good the hospital clinic is, much medical advice works on a cycle of fashion. There will inevitably be some who are "politically" (in the medical sense) driven that they seem to ridicule your very real experiences and talk condescendingly to patients of any age or intelligence. I felt I had grown up once I had learnt to subtly humour nonsensical advice. Before that I would be sent to somebody else to try their brand of lecturing. Obviously I wouldn't be here now if some of their colleagues had not given me very good advice, having carefully assessed my body chemistry. Good luck!

Debbiedodah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Can’t think of any
Thank you. It will only be my second visit to PN so I shall see how seriously she takes me now that I have a bit more knowledge on the subject.

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Busy towns and cities, heavy traffic, noisy people, rubbishy televison or radio shows, rap music.
It helps if your practice nurse is sincerely interested, I have been very lucky with the two ladies at my local medical centre, but you will read on here many times where others have had not such a good response, no matter what you are told by a "professional" just grin and nod, and do your own thing, they will see you once every six months your PN, so it is down to you to defend yourself against this illness, as I said before, do the tests regularly and get to know yourself from a new perspective, then as you become more self aware you can regulate as to how often and when you feel you need to test.
On a final note, please do not try to do too much too quickly, it can be easy to slip the other way and end up going nigh on Hypo, rather than hyper as we are, I have done it myself, feeling weird/ weak as I had dropped just about everything I thought suspicious in food terms, and ended up with BG of 2.7, not a clever state of affairs on my part.
Take it easy, read up lots and get well, and remember no question is a stupid question, if you are genuinely seeking knowledge, but you won`t half get some real dozy answers sometimes. :)

Debbiedodah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Can’t think of any
Thank you

I will be seeing my PN every week until I’m down to proper levels (maybe that’s a good sign).
I do find there is no better advice than from those who have been through it, even though we are all different and not all advice will work for everyone.
I’m good at asking dozy questions so will look forward to dozy answers

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Welcome, and feel free to mooch around all you mooching well want on this very moochable forum!