Hello

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Want to tell us some more about yourself and your diabetes? Or your surgery?

Reactions: bazzasbird

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome

There are many many other diabetics on this site. You are among kindred spirits, The few few days/weeks after diagnosis are often a very emotional time and you may feel overwhelmed. The more you tell us about yourself the more support and advice we can offer.

The people here are truely amazing and give their time generously to offer advice, support and a listening ear.

Welcome.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Welcome, we've all reluctantly joined the T2 club and this is the place to get help, advice, ideas and a hug when needed. Getting your head around what you need to do is bad enough without having a supportive surgery. Being on the forums will get you the information you need to go forward. I was very lucky when I was diagnosed as my GP told me to LCHF and has been really supportive, he also told me about these forums and three years on I'm still learning.
Always look around the forums, ask questions when you need there is always someone to help.
What are your biggest worries?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome, we've all reluctantly joined the T2 club and this is the place to get help, advice, ideas and a hug when needed.
Agree with your friendly message, but don't forget some of us have joined the T1 club (but reluctantly all the same ;)) and we don't know yet what type @bazzasbird is.

Want to tell us, bazzasbird?

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hello Worrywart, not everyone who gets diabetes has eaten badly, but it is a wake up call to eat the best for your condition. Everyone of us is different and the way we obtained and go forwards with diabetes will be different as what one can eat without spiking will result in a huge spike for others. What type have you got and what were you told on diagnosis?
The forums are a very friendly place to be, always someone around to listen and tell how there deal with it, with lots of friendship and help available to everyone.
Please tell us a bit more about yourself and what your main worries or fears are and we will do our best to help and support.

bazzasbird

Welcome, we've all reluctantly joined the T2 club and this is the place to get help, advice, ideas and a hug when needed. Getting your head around what you need to do is bad enough without having a supportive surgery. Being on the forums will get you the information you need to go forward. I was very lucky when I was diagnosed as my GP told me to LCHF and has been really supportive, he also told me about these forums and three years on I'm still learning.
Always look around the forums, ask questions when you need there is always someone to help.
What are your biggest worries?

My gp tells me my hba1c is normal but it’s 75mmol I have been t2 for 2 years and I work for a medical practice the diabetes nurse there says that’s way to high I had necrotising pancreatitis 3years ago and that’s is what caused my diabetes she says my history and the fact that I’m on highest does of tablets poss and t2 is still uncontrolled she says I should be on insulin and refer to diabetic clinic at hospital but my go just keeps saying another hba1c test I’m 6 months

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It sounds as if you've been having a rough few years. Are you on any tablets for the t2 now? I don't understand why if your h&b a1c is normal why they are suggesting you take insulin. Has the pancreatitis stopped you producing your old insulin? It's not something I know anything about but they will be others on here that do.
Have you been low carbing as that appears the right way to bring your BG down?
Sorry I've given you more questions than answers!
:)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My gp tells me my hba1c is normal but it’s 75mmol I have been t2 for 2 years and I work for a medical practice the diabetes nurse there says that’s way to high I had necrotising pancreatitis 3years ago and that’s is what caused my diabetes she says my history and the fact that I’m on highest does of tablets poss and t2 is still uncontrolled she says I should be on insulin and refer to diabetic clinic at hospital but my go just keeps saying another hba1c test I’m 6 months
I agree with the medical practice nurse, try to get seen by an endocrinologist in hospital. Not only for the type 2 but also because if your pancreas is damaged you may need additional enzymes.
If the diabetes is because your pancreas is so damaged that you're not producing enough insulin anymore, you may want to look into type 3C diabetes (https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/type-3c-pancreatic-diabetes.73/). I don't know much about it but an endo or internist does.

If your GP says an hba1c of 75mmol/mol is normal they likely don't know all that much about diabetes.

Good luck!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi bazzabird,
I don't know much about pancreatitis, apart from that it can be very nasty, but I do know that many members (both Type 1 and Type 2 and others) have reduced the amount of diabetes medication that they need and have well controlled Blood Glucose from variations on a Low Carbohydrate diet.
I myself am controlling BG through just a Low Carb High Fat lifestyle (it is for life) with no diabetes medication, no additional exercise etc.

If you are serious about your condition get yourself a Blood Glucose Meter so you can test the effect of each meal on your BG levels. If they put you on Insulin then they will have to prescribe a meter for you, but I feel it is better to make an early start in getting back control of your body.

Good luck,
Ian