Hello

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, my name is Ann. I was diagnosed Type 2 in February. My level was 7.7 so luckily caught early on but still quite a shock as I had no symptoms. I have been 'lurking' on this site ever since! I had 2 x 2 hour 'education' sessions and was dismayed at the information given, ie levels OK if below 10 after meals, two fifths of a meal should be carbs and type 2 weren't allowed to test. :!: I felt that this was rubbish from the information I had found on this site and the advice that you give to new people. So I bought a meter and strips and started to test as you suggested. I've tried all the 'tips for strips', but had no luck, was told that the PCT won't let the Doctors give strips out. Even people on insulin have very restricted strips.

I had my first HbA1c result this morning, down to 7.2 and 1 1/2 stone lighter! . I wouldn't have known what to do if not for you people on here so a big thanks to you all for your advice. Reducing carbs is definitely working for me so hopefully it will be less than 7 next time now that I am beginning to understand how it works.

Ann

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Ann and welcome to the forum :) You seem to be doing very well with your control now. I see you have already read the Basic Information for new members and have started following the advice in there. I'm sorry your PCT won't give you strips. I don't know where you bought yours from but a lot of members buy theirs from ebay. Ask as many questions you like as someone will always have an answer to them.

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
Congratulations, you seem to be doing well and with losing weight too so I figure you've pretty much already worked out how things work! But welcome and with results like that I look forward to learning what I can from your experiences too!