hello

LINZILOU

Hello everyone!

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes two weeks ago and on my first nurse visit all of my results have gone up since I last saw the doctor!

I am overweight and the nurse told me today I may have heart attack I will definatley have problems with my married life and that my feet may be very bad as well!! I have to have my cholestral tablets doubled and my blood pressure is too high!

she frightened me to bits!!

I told her shoot me now!!! :(

anyway, I will try and cure myself, I asume pie and peas are out now lol :D

seriously what can I eat? I thought I was doing ok yet I seem to have a really swelled up stomach, the nurse said it might be the tablets they have given me but she also gave me some blood readings
and I dont understand them I must be honest, Im a simple man, my grandaughter is typing this out for me I cant even use a computer!

can any of you good people direct me as to what foods to buy tomorrow when I do my weekly shop
just some tips would really be appreciated, one page my grandaughter read said I could have real butter! is this true? can I eat bacon? and eggs? I just need a bit of good advice what I can eat, I know I cant have sugar in my tea anymore and I have stopped that, Im eating more fish and have stopped chips and fried foods. I intend to lose a lot of weight now I have set my mind to it.

oh and the readings she wrote down were as follows

trylyardes fat 3.2
LDL 2.5
HDL 0.75
HBAC 8.5%
does anyone understand these at all please? are they very bad?

I am having my feet looked at next week and I have to see the optician for a retinopathy test but boots have said the waiting list is 6 weeks, do any other opticians have these manchines does anyone know?

I know I sound a bit dim but I hadnt been to the doctors for most of my life until two years ago and it seems at 62 I'm ready for the local tip!!

anyway, thank you for reading this, my grandaughter has signed me up for it,all the best
tony

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Those blood results are outsie the ideal range by quite a bit, but I have seen worse.
As to what to buy for food
meat,poultry, bacon, fish, eggs, cheese, fresh green veggies, salads, as colourful as possible, a little fruit, preferably berries, sugar free drinks( all sugar, not just added sugar.)
If you keep off the baked goods, potatoes, root veggies, pasta, rice and breakfast cereals, you CAN eat fats, any kind, butter included.
learn to read nutrition panels and check for "total carbohydrate" Anything above 10% is to be treated with care
Cooking from scratch is usually better then ready meals. You'd be surprised where they hide sugar.

Katharine

Knowledge is what will save you from the scrap heap. The great thing is that you have found the forum and your grandchildren can help you with the fiddly computer stuff.

There is a comprehensive free course at: www.dsolve.com

Just google "solve diabetes now" and it will pop up at the top.

The basics are that you need to learn how to test your blood sugars and eat the sort of foods that your pancreas can handle so that your blood sugar rises after meals are not too high.

You can start with a target post meal (one hour after finishing) blood sugar of under ten and then bring that down to under 8 once you have the hang of it.

LINZILOU

thank you all for your kind replies
I am just writing out my list for the shops tomorrow
and it is good to find the future is not as frightening as it was this afternoon!!

I shall make my mind to walk around with a smile on my face now as the clouds part overhead

I shall certainly be looking in on here regularly you are very kind people,
once again many many thanks

tony

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
LINZILOU said:
thank you all for your kind replies
I am just writing out my list for the shops tomorrow
and it is good to find the future is not as frightening as it was this afternoon!!

I shall make my mind to walk around with a smile on my face now as the clouds part overhead

I shall certainly be looking in on here regularly you are very kind people,
once again many many thanks

tony
I hope I'm not too late to help with your shopping list. Please click on this:
What to Eat Until You Get Your Meter.

Earlier, you asked what these meant:

triglycerides 3.2
LDL 2.5
HDL 0.75
HBAC 8.5%

The HbA1c is an indicator of past blood glucose levels. It confirms that you are definitely one of us and will improve as you get things under control. Eventually your aim is to see that number under 6%.

This is probably more than you need to know right now, but save it somewhere to read again after your next set of lipids tests.

The triglycerides number is an indication that your diet is poor and is probably the number that will improve most rapidly as you change your menu and cut carbohydrates. Your HDL is your "good" cholesterol and needs to be higher, preferably over 1.3. That will come with a better menu and exercise. The important number is the ratio of your trigs to your HDL: yours is 4.3, eventually you want to see that under 1.3, because that is an indicator that your LDL components are good, not nasty, regardless of the LDL number.

Many doctors will incorrectly focus on the high LDL number without looking at the real cause and thus it is likely you have been, or will be, prescribed a statin.

Finally, this is something I wrote for new people in your position. Click on it, I hope it helps: Getting Started

belinda_b

Hi I'm new here. I was diagnosed as type 2 three years ago and managed to keep my levels ok until recently when they started getting high. I'm now on Metformin x 2 daily but the thing that has really horrified me just now is the information I am reading on low carb eating. I have been eating a high carb diet since diagnosis and only four days ago was advised by the dietician to try and increase my carbs !!! Why on earth are they still giving out this advice when going by what's being said here, it's all wrong? I must admit I'm feeling misified and just a bit miffed.
Belinda

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Belinda, Welcome.

As aT2 for 11 yrs who rigidly followed that same diet advice you have been given and having got progressively more overweight, more complications and ending up on a huge cocktail of drugs - I finally saw the light and turned things around after visiting this forum and avidly devouring the information about diet on here. I finally settled on a low/reduced carb/low fat/low GI/low salt diet. This works fine for me although many others take a different route. You have to choose your own way.
As I said my life now is far better and improving all the time. No thanks to a series of NHS Dietician's.
Why do they push all the carbs - because no one is prepared to stick their head over the parapet and say, " There just might be another way."
Good luck with your choices and hope you can now take control of YOUR life.

Ken

belinda_b

Hi Ken

Tanks for that reply....Ive been feeling like I was swimming through mud....can I ask....do you still need meds?

Belinda

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Oh, yes - most definitely. Check my profile.
11 years did a lot of damage to me. Things are now changing and I am reducing meds all the time.
If you want chapter and verse give me a PM. I'll be happy to put you in the picture.

ken. :D

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
belinda_b said:
Hi I'm new here. I was diagnosed as type 2 three years ago and managed to keep my levels ok until recently when they started getting high. I'm now on Metformin x 2 daily but the thing that has really horrified me just now is the information I am reading on low carb eating. I have been eating a high carb diet since diagnosis and only four days ago was advised by the dietician to try and increase my carbs !!! Why on earth are they still giving out this advice when going by what's being said here, it's all wrong? I must admit I'm feeling misified and just a bit miffed.
Belinda
G'day Belinda

I read the later replies. I was more than a bit miffed, I was angry when I realised the situation several years ago. Sadly it is the same world-wide. I wrote this letter (Diabetes Authorities and Diet) to Diabetes Australia and later the ADA in 2004.

It was probably filed in the wastepaper bin. That misinformation is part of the reason I still write on the ADA forum and others like this one trying to correct that deadly dietary teaching.

Trinkwasser

belinda_b said:
Belinda

They ARE trying to kill you, you aren't paranoid!

The serious answer is, they are afraid you will die of cardiovascular disease which is the reason the high carb low fat diet was invented. However it was based on seriously flawed statistics but has now taken on the status of a religion, despite that cardiovascular disease including Type 2 and obesity have never been so widespread since it was imposed on everyone.

It's going to get worse before it gets better too

http://www.satfatnav.com/

http://www.fsascience.net/2009/02/10/th ... of_science