1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Help and Advice

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Peggy-Choc, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Peggy-Choc

Peggy-Choc · Newbie

Diagnosed with type two diabetes 11mths ago and struggling to find a diet that will help keep my blood sugars low.

I do take medication but my blood sugars are elevated and the diabetic nurse has told me that this should not be happening if I am taking medication everyday.

There is so much information on the Internet that contradicts each other, it is hard to know which is the correct information and which is not. It feels like a minefield with very little clarity.

I am hoping that you might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Yes it is a minefield when you first start.

First medication, what are you on? All medication, not just T2.

Diet, what do you eat in a typical day.

Do you use a meter to measure your glucose?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

As a general rule you need to keep the daily carb total down. Your nurse appears not to know that much about diabetes? The typical T2 med, Metformin, only helps to some extent. It may be that you are taking other meds as well but it's normal to have to control the carbs in addition to having any meds otherwise you could see large BS swings and gain weight resulting in insulin resistance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook