Help!! Changing to Porcine and can't get it right!

Disie

Hi all, I wonder if someone can give me advice? I've changed from Lantus and Novorapid a week ago onto Hypurin Isophane and Neutral. I'm on the same dose of Isophane as I was on Lantus, but have split it and have approx two thirds in the morning and the rest in the evening. The neutral puzzles me! Am I supposed to have it before each meal like I did with Novorapid? (except 30 mins before eating) or do you need less of it? I am testing all the time and can't get any pattern - other than a hypo late morning and another in the night. My results are all over the place and I'm really fed up and ready to give up and go back on the Lantus. What am I doing wrong? Any advice gratefully received.

Disie

Hi CarbsRok,
Thanks for the reply. Is it possible, if I'm often hypo in the night, that I don't need to split it then? I was told I must. Also, once all this is sorted (!) can you follow a low carb diet on porcine insulin the same as Lantus? At the moment, I feel as though I am always eating - even when I don't really want to, and am sure I'm getting fatter by the day!!

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Disie, don't give up! As Carbsrok says Rome wasn't built in a day, and you only changed a week ago.
Neutral replaces your novorapid, but you might be better off going back to novorapid till you get your basal Isophane sorted. Novorapid is out of your system quicker and you'll prob get a better idea of how your Isophane works by doing that.
Sounds like you do need to reduce your Isophane dose a little to reduce hypos, and yes, you will be able to low carb when you get your doses right.
Jus :)

Disie

Hi Janabelle,
Thanks for the advice. Good idea! I'm going to try sticking with the Isophane and going back on Novorapid until I get myself sorted. Don't like giving up on things generally - so I'll give this a go.
Ta ever so!!