Help / courses for Pre-Diabetics?

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just wondering why there are no courses for pre-diabetics? Well, I've not found any so far :(

It seems there's only help and advice via the NHS and GP/Nurse if you're actually diagnosed T2 or T1 (with the exception of this fantastic forum of course :happy: ). I've even tried LIFT Psychology who run CBT based courses in the area in which I live. They do one for T2s but as I'm NOT actually T2 I can't register for this and wouldn't want to take a place up that a T2 may want.

I would have thought that the NHS and GP would want to educate people in order to give them a fighting chance of NOT going on to develop T2? :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know of any. You need to be a registered diabetic to qualify for any of the "perks". Don't worry though, we are all here for you and you will learn more here than any current course.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Your education on how to be in control starts now.
If you read up on all the great threads about how successful the posters have dealt with their condition and how to maintain control.
You have had the warning, unless you ignore the great advice on here, you will start a new lifestyle and a much healthier future.

Reactions: 5 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just wondering why there are no courses for pre-diabetics? Well, I've not found any so far :(

It seems there's only help and advice via the NHS and GP/Nurse if you're actually diagnosed T2 or T1 (with the exception of this fantastic forum of course :happy: ). I've even tried LIFT Psychology who run CBT based courses in the area in which I live. They do one for T2s but as I'm NOT actually T2 I can't register for this and wouldn't want to take a place up that a T2 may want.

I would have thought that the NHS and GP would want to educate people in order to give them a fighting chance of NOT going on to develop T2? :rolleyes:
Hi Tigerlily,

I'm surprised too, I was diagnosed 'Pre' approx 9 months prior to diagnosis and although I made changes to my diet etc.I had no idea how serious this medical condition is or was.

I did lose weight approx a 1st and followed what I thought to be a very healthy diet, which included a very large amount of fish vegetables but also include Pasta Rice etc, I was still eating all these carbs. I hardly ate any fruit before I was diagnosed Pre, I then took to eating fruit and in addition Majool Dates, plus Honey, I id not have a clue. The fruit eating I believe contributed to the raising of the sugars.

I t was not until I was diagnosed as Diabetic Type 2 and given all the doom for the first time, did I have any idea what I was dealing with and then found myself here on this forum. Fortunately I am borderline and improving.

Neil

Reactions: 6 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
unfortunately it is deemed more "cost effective" to "clear away the debris with a brush and shovel" than to spend money on flagging down the cars approaching the "pile up"

Reactions: 6 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Tigerlily,

I'm surprised too, I was diagnosed 'Pre' approx 9 months prior to diagnosis and although I made changes to my diet etc.I had no idea how serious this medical condition is or was.

I did lose weight approx a 1st and followed what I thought to be a very healthy diet, which included a very large amount of fish vegetables but also include Pasta Rice etc, I was still eating all these carbs. I hardly ate any fruit before I was diagnosed Pre, I then took to eating fruit and in addition Majool Dates, plus Honey, I id not have a clue. The fruit eating I believe contributed to the raising of the sugars.

I t was not until I was diagnosed as Diabetic Type 2 and given all the doom for the first time, did I have any idea what I was dealing with and then found myself here on this forum. Fortunately I am borderline and improving.

Neil
Me too word for word.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Tigerlily,

Neil

I would think a lot of "pre's" do as you did. I know that I most probably did around 3yrs ago when I had my 1st initial scare. Although I joined this forum back then I only had a browse and I suppose didn't take it too seriously. There was no follow up or real advice from the Dr or Nurse at that time. I did adopt some aspects of the GI diet but didn't stick to it for very long but I DID lose weight whilst doing it!

Like you I think I increased fruit and veg consumption and thinking this was "healthier". I now know that not all fruit and veg is "good". I still ate pasta, rice and bread although I think it would have been wholemeal. At present I limit my bread and have reduced it dramatically to what I used to consume (it is wholemeal).

I am educating myself and know so much more purely by being quite active on here and taking time to browse the threads.

Well done on the fact you're now borderline and improving :)

Reactions: 4 people

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like

There are the X-Pert Diabetes courses for self-management. I am prediabetic and have just started this course. I have written about it if you want to check it out.

You get a lot more (and better) advice on this forum, though.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are the X-Pert Diabetes courses for self-management. I am prediabetic and have just started this course. I have written about it if you want to check it out.

You get a lot more (and better) advice on this forum, though.

Thank You. I will take a look . . . .

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Gudrun How do I go about finding out more and possibly getting a place on this? Does my Dr have to refer me?

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
@Gudrun How do I go about finding out more and possibly getting a place on this? Does my Dr have to refer me?
Tigerlily, go to their website: www.xperthealth.org.uk. They have got the information on where courses are being held together with telephone numbers.
I phoned them in April last year and was told there was a long waiting list. Only got my invite for January this year. Between April last year and my start I got myself educated pretty well on this forum and so haven't really learned anything new (although got quite a few contrasting ideas from the course to what I have learned).
There are also some good books out there: how to stop prediabetes, etc. Gretchen Becker wrote a good one on year 1 of diabetes.
If I were you, I would phone up Xpert, go on the waiting list, but in the meantime get as informed as you can while you wait for the course to start. And then, when it has started, you will have experienced with your meter readings what you can and can't eat and are able to judge what of their information you want to take on board and what goes against what you KNOW to be right for you.

spirits

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

There is a diabetic course on the other diabetic website called type 2 diabetes and me it covers most diabetes types and it save on time waiting to see a dietician or course face to face if you need fast answers like now here is the link http://www.type2diabetesandme.co.uk/lnt/Login.aspx?ts=635585771862305254

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
The X-pert course X-POD is available, depending on your location. Try contacting your CCG or your surgery!
Here is a flyer I saw this week in the X-PERT head office so if you are near Hebden Bridge, it could be a possibility.
X-POD.jpg