Type 1 Help ear infection high sugars

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just got antibiotics today, how long does it take to settle the sugars anyone have any past experiences?
It depends on the individual. Any infection, anywhere in the body, raised blood glucose. Keep checking and treat your high glucose readings as you would any other highs. In my case the duration of highs varies according to the severity of the infection.

Reactions: Nadia19

Nadia19

Please can someone tell me when sugars will return to normal . I have ear infection these highs are daunting to me and I am struggling to cope Without worrying about highs

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Please can someone tell me when sugars will return to normal . I have ear infection these highs are daunting to me and I am struggling to cope Without worrying about highs
High BG is very normal when your body is fighting an infection.

How high are you going? Are you taking corrections?
Do you have a means to test for ketones if you're consistently high?

While things will likely go back to normal once the infection has clear, this doesn't mean that it's safe to be at high levels until then. If in doubt, please contact 111 or your hospital for advice.
If you are in the high teens or higher and don't come down, please contact them anyway.

Nadia19

I go away up then I come down, today I reached 17! Then came down to 11 2hrs later. Hopefully things level out soon in stressing lol

Reactions: Antje77

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Will they eventually return to normal? I’ve been gave a course for 1 week x
Now you are asking. 'Normal' may be different for each type one diabetic, depending how good their control is. I am sorry that I cannot be more accurate because it seems that you are really worried, as you have now asked the same question in three threads.

I think it will be difficult to gage what is 'normal'. Looking at your previous posts, it seems that you have now had type 1 diabetes for some four years. You have been extremely lucky if this is the first time that you have had antibiotics for an infection. But just do your best, and use the experience you have already gained. If things get worse do ask for advice from your diabetes team.

Last edited:

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you been taught how to work out correction doses if your blood sugar is high? Do you have the sick day rules?

Nadia19

I’m just a very worrier. I just want to be able to eat and not see these big massive spikes it’s terrible. This is one of the worst ones I think. Can’t get my head round it.

Nadia19

I have sick day rules but my sugar will come back down eventually just very slowly . Is this because of infection? I just hate being unwell, I know nobody likes it but me personally I worry far too much

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m just a very worrier. I just want to be able to eat and not see these big massive spikes it’s terrible. This is one of the worst ones I think. Can’t get my head round it.
I am sorry to hear that you are so worried. Your antibiotics will do their job, and then you will feel better.

I am wondering what country are you in? Most answers assume that you are in the UK, so we talk about our 'diabetes team' and '111' service but these are UK terminology.

Nadia19

Yep I’m in UK. I talk to my diabetes team every week as I’m that worried. Hope it passes soon it’s just out of character for me x

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep I’m in UK. I talk to my diabetes team every week as I’m that worried. Hope it passes soon it’s just out of character for me x
That is good. I find that my diabetes team is supportive, so I hope that you have the same confidence in your team.

The Balladeer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arrogant doctors spreading misinformation insulin price
that happened to me its probably gonna take 3 days to a week depend on the infection just take a correction dose and try to relax anxiety and stress will make it go higher