Rude people
Busibodies
Screenshot_20210610-133433_Drive.jpg

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Think I would have something from: pigs in blankets, olives (no bread), goats cheese (maybe ask for some salad with it instead of bread), chorizo/prawns from the mezze board, baked camenbert, burger without the bun, steak, chicken au poivre ( think this should be ok, maybe ask that it's just cream/brandy and no flour in recipe) and swop out the potato/sauce for salad/veg. Salad/veg/mushrooms as sides. Cheese board for pudding.

Getting the recipe early like you've done seems like a really good plan!

Hope you have a fab time out :):)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From all those courses you could have, pigs in blankets and pork scratchings, paté, baked Camembert (no marmalade or bread), burger (no bun or other listed accompaniments) with a side salad and garlic mushrooms, so long as they are not coated in bread crumbs. Then if you still have room the cheese board at the end without biscuits or bread.

Reactions: Sarahjane41

Sarahjane41

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Rude people
Busibodies
Thanks I've only been type 2 for 8 weeks I'm still learning, I've got 3 family meals out and a wedding in the next month!!!!
I am great controlling what I make and eat but unsure when I go out, it's been a bit overwhelming if im honest!!!!
Thank you for your reply xx

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh my...
Think I can dress up as you and go in your place? This menu is getting me hungry!

Lots of options if you either ask them to leave out the bread, substitute the bread or simply leave the bread on your plate if you don't want to make a fuss.

Appetizers: Tricky. Olives, pork scratchings or pigs in plankets without the blankets. Or simply ask for olives and pork scratchings, provided you like them.
Starters: Careful of the glazes (Ask!), don't trust the soup.

Grazing boards: Mezze board: ask if they have chicken without the honey. Ask about the ingredients of the falafel. Steer clear of the marmelade. (Ask for combination of the different boards.)

Mains: Steer clear of buns, batters, rice, pasta and chips. (Ask for veggies or salad as substitute.)

Steak: Go ahead!

Kids: Nope.

Sides: Vegetables, mushrooms, salad bowl (Ask what's in the salad and dressing, ask for oil and vinegar depending on their standard dressing.), yes,

Desserts: Cheese board.

If you call ahead to ask what is possible you'll get the best meal. If you just leave what you don't want on your plate you'll get the least fuss.
In both cases I can se a very good meal in your future!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks I've only been type 2 for 8 weeks I'm still learning, I've got 3 family meals out and a wedding in the next month!!!!
I am great controlling what I make and eat but unsure when I go out, it's been a bit overwhelming if im honest!!!!
Thank you for your reply xx
And don't panic if you make a mistake, it's part of the deal and you shouldn't forget to make sure to enjoy those festive occasions!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From that menu I’d have one of the steaks - probably the sirloin and ditch the chips. I’d ask for a fried egg instead - I don’t eat veg often and am allergic to mushrooms, so depending what was on offer would ditch all the sides and just have meat.

There’s quite a lot on that menu that looks easy to tweak.

Never be afraid to ask for what you want - if you’re unsure about a sauce, ask for it to be brought on the side so you can decide how much, for example. And also don’t feel you must eat every course or in the same way as others. If you want one large course, that’s fine. If the only things you fancy are starters, ask for a few of those and have some brought with the main course. It’s your health and most people won’t notice what you actually eat, even if you feel self conscious about asking for changes.

Enjoy - I’d happily eat at that place!

And editing to comment on the blankets saga - I’d keep them on too. The bacon ‘blankets’ are likely lower carb than the sausage ‘pigs’.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The blankets are bacon usually, so I’d leave the blankets on!
Google is stupid. I googled them to make sure I wouldn't give ridiculous advice and saw pictures of sausages in bread :banghead:.
I now want pigs in blankets!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would also probably stick to steak. I have gone very low carb so I would find the menu a bit challenging to be honest. One of the many things I like about this site is the ability of others to see options where I don't. So a great idea to post the menu. I personally after hearing others would feel a lot better. If you have time a phone call ahead is something I have done also.

Have a wonderful time and I really agree- this journey or lifestyle or whatever you want to call it is not about perfection- it is about a balance of a lot of things. That balance can change from time to time so a decision today is not binding for life. One of the things in the balance is relationships, friends and family. It is also about doing the best you can at the time and not beating yourself up for any decision.