Help! High morning blood sugars

Wen0917

Have been T2 for about 3 years now, was diagnosed very young (17 yrs) but have never been overweight or particularly unhealthy.

Have been managing my bg and have managed to keep my morning bg under 5.7.

However, this month(s) or so I have been noticing that my morning bg has gone up to 6.7.. haven’t been able to get the numbers down.

Tested during midnight and the number was lower than my morning bg.. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Wen0917

Also wanted to mention that I work out regularly (cardio and weight lifting) at least 6 times per week. And I am and have been at a normal weight (49 kg 160 cm)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Wen0917 , are you on any medication for your diabetes? Low carb diet?

A lot of diabetics (T1 and T2) have higher blood sugars first thing in the morning because of something called dawn phenomena, when your liver pumps out sugar when you wake so as to give you energy for the day.

Wen0917

Hi @Wen0917 , are you on any medication for your diabetes? Low carb diet?

A lot of diabetics (T1 and T2) have higher blood sugars first thing in the morning because of something called dawn phenomena, when your liver pumps out sugar when you wake so as to give you energy for the day.

Hi! No, im currently not on any medication and im not on any particular diet, just generally watching what i should and shouldnt eat according to my after meal numbers

Reactions: SaskiaKC

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi! No, im currently not on any medication and im not on any particular diet, just generally watching what i should and shouldnt eat according to my after meal numbers

Now I'm curious, how do your numbers impact on your diet? Most conventional T2s find that lower carb improve their figures but you seem to be very far from a conventional T2 so I wouldn't necessarily assume that for you.

Wen0917

Now I'm curious, how do your numbers impact on your diet? Most conventional T2s find that lower carb improve their figures but you seem to be very far from a conventional T2 so I wouldn't necessarily assume that for you.

Yep! Being diagnosed as a T2 so young was definitely out of the blue, I was put on metformin but eventually stopped as I could control my numbers through my diet. I do try to eat low carb but definitely not as low as the conventional low carb diet.. right now the problem seems to lie with my morning bg, the rest is generally fine. Just trying to figure out how to lower my morning figures..

Reactions: EllieM

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Does it really matter if your FBG values are a bit high ? I also found that my numbers were significantly lower during the night. Perhaps you can get a HbA1c test ie your average BG over the last three months, I guess the result would give you a better idea of what is happening. In any event its best to consult with your doctor and discuss the issue with him/her.I wish you all the best.

JayBee28

I was diagnosed in September, I’m not on medication. My HBA1C was 56. Eight weeks later it was 48. I cannot get my morning reading below 7 for 95% of the time. During the day it goes down in the 5’s. I’m not unduly worried at the moment, I’ll see what my HBA1C is next time. I’m putting it down to Dawn Phenomenon. I’m mega low carb and lost almost 2 stone.