Help! hyperglycemia Symptoms but perfect sugars?!

vmhall93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I'm hoping someone could shed some light on my situation as speaking to my healthcare is like banging my head against a wall!!
The past week or so I have being having symptoms of high blood sugars but when i check they are relatively "normal" (around 7.1) my symptoms are, dizzyness, palpitations, very short fuse, very fatigued, excessive thirs, smelly breath....all feels very familiar!
With my wedding coming up in April I have recently adopted a low carb diet and can honestly say since then I have lost weight and sugars seldom exceed 11 on a daily basis!
I just wondered if anyone else has had this problem. The last time i felt like this daily was when I was diagnosed back in Nov 2012 and I have never had such great control over my sugars ever!
I have asked my nurse and she just says its stress of the wedding but it feels more than this?
I'm hoping someone might be able to help
Thanks

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Ah @vmhall93, that's the process of going into Ketosis that you're experiencing. It's when your body runs on lipids rather than carbs. The process of getting into the state is often described as low carb flu.

You'll need to drink (a lot) more when you get into ketosis, and to me it feels like when you experience hyperglycaemia as well. There's a certain bodily feeling to ketosis that is just like when you were diagnosed or have very high glucose levels. I put it down to the ketone production that is a necessary part of low carbing. You'll also notice the familiar acetone on the breath, which is also part of the ketones in your system.

I can't say I've had dizzyness, palpitations or a very short fuse, and the fatigue goes away after a couple of weeks. YOur ketone levels aren't high enough to cause issues, and it's a normal part of low carbing, so you shouldn't worry if your glucose levels are where you want them to be and normal.

vmhall93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Makes perfect sense! Thank you so much for the help, I really appreciate it!! You've put my mind at ease, I've been throwing back pint after pint of cordial and know I know why!