bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hello,
i have been a type 2 diabetic for 24 years, slowly my blood sugars are rising, my last Hb2ac was 8.2. As yet I am not on medication, but I do struggle to control my cravings. I have been following a lot of the forums here and I am confused that my GP is saying that I should be eating Bread etc, and then I read on the forums that high protien is the way to go.
does anyone else crave bread, cakes etc? :cry:

squirrel

Hi, i craved everything bread sweets etc etc, seems it was putting my bs up high, when i got the bs down thats when i got the cravings, this of course made my sugar rise again so the circle begins. Now low carbing and having no cravings at all, got bs under control and dont need my glasses anymore, also losing weight.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum ,Bernie and congratulations on keeping control of your diabetes for so long on no medication!!
The starchy carbs,bread,potatoes,pasta and rice and all flour based products are often recommended by the doctors/nurses as a way of keeping blood sugars 'even'. However ,in a type 2 ,especially on no medication they tend to send the blood sugars up and cause 'spikes'.If you have spikes everyday then your Hba1c will reflect this and be higher than it should be.Yours,at 8.2% is high and it would be good if you can get it down below 7%.
If you can cut down on the starchy carbs or even cut them out altogether you will find that your blood sugars will go down.Do you do daily tests with a blood test monitor?
Have a good read round the forum and you will pick up plenty of helpful advice.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Bernie, welcome to the forum.

Sue is right and your doctor is being foolish to recommend starchy carbs like bread to an unmedicated diabetic. You can see the effect it's having on your blood sugar!
If you restrict or cut out the bread then your blood sugars should improve very quickly and the cravings should subside.

All the best,

fergus

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Thank you to all of you that replied, I am really grateful for oyur advice.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi :
bernie.freeman
Is your doctor a diabetic? does he live with this condition 24/7? Unless he is, he only knows what he has been taught. He may not even know where that particular advice came from and the(faulty) reasoning behind it. We who live this codition, know what works from experience. NOT the outdated textbook. I haven't eaten a "Normal" slice of bread for years and not had rice, old potatoes or normal pasta either. I'm not suffering from deficiencies, my blood sugars are steady and low.

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Thanks to you all, i am starting to low carb tomorrow, and hopefully my BS will go down. I only test two days a week as my gp won't pay for strips for any more testing at the moment. thanks once again you have been a great help.i will continue to mooch around the other forums. :roll: :roll: :roll:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm only allowed strips for 2 tests per week too, but I fund my own( on an OAP) I test every day and try to do it at different times.