Help! I have so much weight to lose

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Zand - When are you due to have your test results? I couldn't tell from your original post? Do you routinely call for them before your appointment?

If the doc didn't mention your kidney function, tHen try not to get hung up on it for now. You could be wasting mental energy on something that just doesn't exist.

Another take on your doc's approach: if you are asking for Metformin because "I don't seem to be able to stick to such a good diet nowadays", perhaps he is concerned that the Metformin won't help you stick with the diet any better?

Do you make notes before you see the doc, to ensure you cover all the points you want to cover? Even if you are confident you will remember everything, taking a moment to "review your notes" in your appointment can provide useful thinking time, if you need to think through something that's just been said for a moment.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Zand - When are you due to have your test results? I couldn't tell from your original post? Do you routinely call for them before your appointment?

If the doc didn't mention your kidney function, tHen try not to get hung up on it for now. You could be wasting mental energy on something that just doesn't exist.

Another take on your doc's approach: if you are asking for Metformin because "I don't seem to be able to stick to such a good diet nowadays", perhaps he is concerned that the Metformin won't help you stick with the diet any better?

Do you make notes before you see the doc, to ensure you cover all the points you want to cover? Even if you are confident you will remember everything, taking a moment to "review your notes" in your appointment can provide useful thinking time, if you need to think through something that's just been said for a moment.

I have an appointment to see my GP on Thursday. No, I don't routinely call for them before my appointment, it's a good idea. Not sure I'm brave enough to ask the receptionist though.

Yes, I know I might be worrying about nothing. It's just that in the past I have not been very assertive and I am trying to learn to speak up for myself more.

Yes, I made that comment a few weeks back when I was struggling. And of course, he does need to check if my kidneys are OK, he'd be negligent if he didn't.

Yes making notes is a good idea. I don't usually when it's for me.....but I did when I took my kids or my parents to appointments...and giving me thinking time looking at them is a great idea.

Thanks so much for this

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an appointment to see my GP on Thursday. No, I don't routinely call for them before my appointment, it's a good idea. Not sure I'm brave enough to ask the receptionist though.

Yes, I know I might be worrying about nothing. It's just that in the past I have not been very assertive and I am trying to learn to speak up for myself more.

Yes, I made that comment a few weeks back when I was struggling. And of course, he does need to check if my kidneys are OK, he'd be negligent if he didn't.

Yes making notes is a good idea. I don't usually when it's for me.....but I did when I took my kids or my parents to appointments...and giving me thinking time looking at them is a great idea.

Thanks so much for this

If you can get your results beforehand, you can look at them, versus the publish "normal" bands and have time to think about any discussion your doc might want to have. If the results are outside the "normal" range, you will also have time to think about any questions you might want to ask, to get the best from your appointment. Knowledge is power.

I think you will feel better if you feel you are part of the decision making process.

And finally, don't feel uncomfortable about asking your doc to repeat or clarify anything he says. He is your advisor, but you need to be able to understand and rationalise the advice he is giving you. This is particularly important if you want to challenge anything he is saying.

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can get your results beforehand, you can look at them, versus the publish "normal" bands and have time to think about any discussion your doc might want to have. If the results are outside the "normal" range, you will also have time to think about any questions you might want to ask, to get the best from your appointment. Knowledge is power.

I think you will feel better if you feel you are part of the decision making process.

And finally, don't feel uncomfortable about asking your doc to repeat or clarify anything he says. He is your advisor, but you need to be able to understand and rationalise the advice he is giving you. This is particularly important if you want to challenge anything he is saying.

OK, I can see what you are saying is right. It looks like I am going to have to be brave and face the receptionist then!
Wish me luck. I'll try on Wednesday. Gulp!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today has been lovely and we did lots of walking. I walked around 2 miles early morning and then my family said they would go walking with me later on. We did 5 miles, all in one go, no resting at all. I think that's possibly the farthest I have ever walked without stopping for a little rest. The first 2 and a half were brisk too. The only thing is....I didn't have anything to eat until 6 pm. I just forgot because I wasn't hungry, I didn't mean to wait so long. Still my BG after the long walk was 5.2, so that's better. It's so nice to be able to walk longer distances again.

Reactions: 6 people

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please can I open this post by apologising, I am so sorry that I have only just read this post. Zand, I find you so inspiring! You are on such a fantastic journey, thank you for deciding to share it with all of us on this forum - I will follow your story with great interest!

I am part way along a path of sooooo much weight to lose. I'm a Type 1, so not exactly the same. At my heaviest I weighed 131kg, I am now down to 80kg. Somewhere along the line I got tired and wandered away from my goals, my improved health and what I believe I truly wanted. Reading your story has filled me with enthusiasm and determination and tomorrow I will start the second part thanks to you! Please do keep us updated, I really do need your help. Thank you.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 5 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please can I open this post by apologising, I am so sorry that I have only just read this post. Zand, I find you so inspiring! You are on such a fantastic journey, thank you for deciding to share it with all of us on this forum - I will follow your story with great interest!

I am part way along a path of sooooo much weight to lose. I'm a Type 1, so not exactly the same. At my heaviest I weighed 131kg, I am now down to 80kg. Somewhere along the line I got tired and wandered away from my goals, my improved health and what I believe I truly wanted. Reading your story has filled me with enthusiasm and determination and tomorrow I will start the second part thanks to you! Please do keep us updated, I really do need your help. Thank you.

WOW thanks for that! yes I intend to make updates every Tuesday and also record anything unusual along the way too. I can't wait to lose as much as you!

Reactions: 6 people

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can't wait to lose as much as you!
Before you know it, you'll look back and the heaviest you were will be nothing but a distant memory!

If I can share something with you, that surprised me the most, as bad as some days or times feel at the time; when you look back you won't even remember them! The big picture tends to blur the times that didn't help, didn't get you to be where you needed to be. My wisdom won't help you minute by minute or day by day as you fight the weight, but one day quite soon you'll look back and say "darn, she wasn't as dumb as she sounded!"

Also, keep an outfit that you used to wear in a bag at the back of a cupboard. It is surprising how uplifting cloth can be when you are in a bad place . . . .

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, my fasting BG this morning was back to 5.3!!!! Looks like the long walk was a good idea. I have a slight pain in one leg (left shin) but other than that I feel OK. Only walked a mile so far today...argh, just checked the distance, only 0.97 mile. I'll have to add a bit for tomorrow. Yes, I'm serious, have I not mentioned I am a perfectionist at heart?. It's not a good trait to have because I have rarely been truly happy with anything I have ever done.....just a handful of times. So that's an extra 53 yards I need to add......

Reactions: 5 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds just like me your not a Virgo by any chance are you ? I am and it's one if the maddening traits !

No Connie I am not a Virgo.... but if you keep following this thread I am sure that eventually my starsign will become very evident!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now that I have Pedro (my pedometer) I have decided to record the number of steps at the same time as I tell you my weight update. It's important for me to do this because whilst at the moment I am doing this for me, there will come a time when I want to give up and I won't care that I am letting myself down. I will care that I am letting you all down and I am hoping that recording results here will drag me through the bad times. I only got Pedro last week and was slow to open his box and get on with things, so I'll start with Friday.

Friday 20162
Sat 10540
Sun 11458
Mon 24983

I have never been a consistent person, so I have decided to work with that trait instead of against it. It's just important that I do some walking each day and don't give up when I feel down. I am aiming for at least 10,000 steps a day, but will accept 5000 as a lower target when necessary. When I want to reach up higher I will.

Thanks to the Peter Kay clip, I had problems controlling my giggling at SW today. I tried to get him out of my mind, but then other comedians kept stepping in until I was nearly wetting myself. No danger of anyone else there doing that, because of course they have all been to the loo before turning up so they would be lighter. I noticed some of them were taking off more layers of clothes than usual too. I was just about managing to keep a straight face when the penny dropped! I heard one girl say 'oh, I've stayed the same that's brilliant', then I did a bit of eavesdropping around the room and all I could hear was '5 hot cross buns' and '6 Cadbury's Crème Eggs'. I should have realised this was not the right week to work so hard on my diet and exercise. I was in great danger of being 'Loser of the Week' and winning a spray of low-fat cooking oil or a pack of pasta. I really should have waited till next week when they all lose the 7lbs they have put on this week.

OK serious stuff now.... my weight. This week I have lost 5lbs making a total of 8.5lbs since I started this thread.

Oh and I got my 'half stone sticker'........sigh. I didn't stay a second longer than I had to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 11 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much Connie. I just hope it continues like this.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant stuff Zand, well done. Are those steps just from walks or a total for the day including in the house?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are a total for the day, including in the house and as such a 'step' doesn't really mean that much, because it could be either a fast walking stride or a tiny step when I am ironing etc. So that's why I tend to measure longer distances with a map too so I know how far I have walked as well. Sorry that's a bit muddled, I hope you know what I mean

Last edited by a moderator: