Why, thank you kind Dougal ! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Andy12345 I am enjoying walking now that I have Pedro. I used a pedometer before but didn't really use it to motivate myself properly, I just checked my steps at the end of the day and did nothing to try to improve. When you said that you watched those treadmill numbers rolling around and tried to hit and beat your targets, then I knew you were right, I could do that with a pedometer.
So, I have today taken on board the other bit of advice you gave back then. I have started a food diary. I am basically lazy so couldn't be bothered to do it before....but I am eating less now, so it's easier to write it down! It's also an incentive not to snack or cheat at all because I will have to do another entry in the diary. At the moment It's only two entries because I'm eating 2 meals a day.

Reactions: 4 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
@Andy12345 I am enjoying walking now that I have Pedro. I used a pedometer before but didn't really use it to motivate myself properly, I just checked my steps at the end of the day and did nothing to try to improve. When you said that you watched those treadmill numbers rolling around and tried to hit and beat your targets, then I knew you were right, I could do that with a pedometer.
So, I have today taken on board the other bit of advice you gave back then. I have started a food diary. I am basically lazy so couldn't be bothered to do it before....but I am eating less now, so it's easier to write it down! It's also an incentive not to snack or cheat at all because I will have to do another entry in the diary. At the moment It's only two entries because I'm eating 2 meals a day.

terrific :) although listening to me is generally a bad idea, i think these are both great ideas :) your doing brilliantly :)

Reactions: 3 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Way to go Zand! Keep up the good work.:) Your determined effort is an inspiration to everybody!

Mothership

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
dog mess anywhere
That's great news Zand. I have a lot of weight to lose too and mine is coming down nicely. I have lost weight before but that was when I was a lot younger and I have tried Slimming World and Weight watchers and they are exactly like that Peter Kay sketch . My daughter had lost a lot of weight and her friend's little boy asked his mother "how do people shrink like Susy?" Power to us shrinking people☺

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's great news Zand. I have a lot of weight to lose too and mine is coming down nicely. I have lost weight before but that was when I was a lot younger and I have tried Slimming World and Weight watchers and they are exactly like that Peter Kay sketch . My daughter had lost a lot of weight and her friend's little boy asked his mother "how do people shrink like Susy?" Power to us shrinking people☺

How much have you lost so far? Yes I agree SW and WW are like the sketch, I'm only going for the reliable scales to weigh on......and I usually weigh at home first anyway, but I just need to know that my scales are right! I know it's crazy, but it's working so far, so it's worth the effort.

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Terrific zand! I am so glad you are doing well. It's so hard to get out of the doldrums but you are doing it and doing it so determinedly!

You go girl! :D

Mothership

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
dog mess anywhere
Weighed in drs last Tuesday and I had lost 1sone 3 pounds in 6 weeks. I have been weighing at home as well and lost 3 last week and 2 the week before. I'm not going for dramatic weight loss but after 18 years as T2 I am finally taking control of my bs and my life. Like you my life had revolved around eating loads/dieting, virtually starvation diets and it did work in the short term. I am on Victoza and that has curved my appetite and I've lost my sweet tooth. Keep at it Zand you will win☺

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have posted this on another thread already, but thought it would be a good idea to record it here too. As you know I have been trying to walk more often and for longer distances. Most of this so far has been on flat ground. At the weekend I started adding in a few gentle slopes. I have struggled with slopes/hills/steps for a while because I had a minor heart problem for a couple of years or so. It's fine now and this morning I felt like stretching myself a bit more. So I tried a hill. I wasn't sure I was doing the right thing, because I had to walk down the hill first and then back up. When I told the family they were shocked to say the least; we have lived in this area for 27 years and I have never felt the need to walk up that hill before (and TBH it will be a little while before I feel the need to do so again.) Have just checked on a map and found that the road climbs 140 metres in 0.75 mile. I won't be trying anything steeper for a while(!), but at least I know I can 'do' hills now. The total distance of the walk was 3.5 miles.

So this morning was good, but I have had a lazy afternoon and evening.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

.....I was nearly wetting myself. No danger of anyone else there doing that, because of course they have all been to the loo before turning up so they would be lighter. I noticed some of them were taking off more layers of clothes than usual too.

LMAO :D

My memory of SW was members' endeavours to see how many muller lights they could shoehorn into their day :***: (That was only online. I'd have gone mental at club lol)

Congratulations on your fab weight loss, Zand :happy:

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LMAO :D

My memory of SW was members' endeavours to see how many muller lights they could shoehorn into their day :***: (That was only online. I'd have gone mental at club lol)

Congratulations on your fab weight loss, Zand :happy:

Thanks, I just hope I can keep on losing it.

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Zand, really well done on your weight loss, I knew you could do it, keep up the good work you are well on your way to losing your 1st stone. Fantastic.:D

Marilyn

Mothership

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
dog mess anywhere
I think your doing great with your walking I will be starting walking the dog soon in my 30 minute lunchtime.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I AM SO HAPPY
My doctor is the best doctor in the world! I have Metformin at last. He said I didn't really need it because my HBA1c has only gone up from 41 to 49, but he listened to me and I am so happy. I have lots more to say, but no time right now.

@Dillinger I really hope you get to see this post. Thanks so much for the advice.

Reactions: 9 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Bluetit1802.

The thing I am really pleased about is my resting pulse rate which was anything from 110 to150 a couple of years ago, when I was ill. It settled to 80 a couple of weeks ago and was 73 today. So I think the walking up massive hills is working.

I am struggling a bit in general today because someone was nasty about my weight. I shouldn't have let it bother me, I don't always. Also hubby broke the computer so I am having to borrow son's laptop

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey, well done on the pulse rate. I have problems with mine, although not anywhere near as bad as yours was. Mine is always under 100, which I believe is the cut off rate between normal and bad, but is always in the 80's. It was 77 the other day and I was delighted! My BP is good though, averaging 119/70. I have been told my pulse isn't high, it's normal, but it should be in the 60's really.

What a cretin being nasty about your weight. I hope you gave them a mouthful. And how on earth does anyone break a computer other than dropping it out of a window?
Anyway, well done you.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi Zand, you have come to the right place for advice, its helped me loads.
I was diagnosed a year ago , I weighed over 13 st.
I read loads on here and used various weight loss tricks suggested by people and now weigh 11 st 7lb. In the passed year I took
green tea and aloe vera capsules which hrlped
Walked
Bought an exercise bike
Used my fitness pal app ( helps loads
Now Im doing 5km a day for 50 days challenge.
I have an underactive thyroid too but it s well controlled.
The upshot is that I watch my carb intake, know foods to avoid , exercise each day and feel great.
3 people today have told me that I have lost weight .If I can do it so can you.
Another trick I have done is to buy a bag of flour every time I lost a pound , you will see that "just a pound"is actually more than you think.
I have my own page on here where I am recording my exercise daily , it helps me to focus.
Good luck , Im sure you , , like me, will get a lot of support.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Zand, sorry but I am confused, over the past year I have done everything I can to keep my bs within normal limits so that I don't need medication. Yes I go off the rails sometime but I am proud of myself because my HbA1c is fine and my cholesterol is normal.
Why do you want metformin?
I have 2 very good friends who are both overweight, very intelligent lovely people who think too much and analyse conversations and days events to the point where it is making them ill. I tell them to stop over thinking things because no one else is, life is for living. Be proud that you are fighting back, you are doing great . Xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Dee_226

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Zand, very very inspirational and just what I need to read right now as I have been feeling very down lately although I have been trying to fight against all negativity.

Recently diagnosed and doc said diet and exercise to control it. No apt to see a DN but am waiting for news on a DESMOND course (told could be 3 months) but my main problem is the amount of weight I have to lose :-( 10 stone in weight, yep, you read that right, I can lose 10 stone in weight. I have bought a pedometer which I put in my pocket everyday but don't take it out and check the step count (hangs head in shame), but I do use myLifestyle to record BG levels, BP levels and weight and I also use MyFitnessPal to record my meals and any exercise I do. It has to be easy to use or I would give up with it. I am just down because of a lack of weight loss since diagnosis. Its been 7 weeks and I may have lost 2lb in weight but that could be wishful thinking. I have given up the chocolate, crisps, biscuits, pastry and cut right back on pasta, rice, potatoes and bread, my stomach no longer bloats (which is great) and I limit myself to two cups of coffee a day and the rest of the time I drink low cal squash. I am not sure why I feel so low at the moment but seeing (reading) your story and updates is the kick in the backside I need to keep trying. Am back at docs on Monday and would love for him to give me some good news or just something motivational, I have always found him to be a good doc, we can laugh about things but he does not let me get away with anything.

I know that diabetes is about control and not about weight loss, I do understand that and I am testing 5 times a day (on waking) before lunch, 2hrs after, before dinner and 2hrs after and the average results since diagnosis show averages in the region of 6's so I think I am doing ok for now - still learning what foods affect me in a bad way, but, (yes, you knew that was coming), I just can't get my weight out of my mind. Does anyone have any idea's on why such a huge change in diet and portion size has not resulted in weight loss yet?

Am very sorry for rabbiting on like this, seems I had more on my mind than I thought.

Hugs,

Reactions: 6 people