Help! I have so much weight to lose

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The amazing thing is I am consuming so many more calories and am losing weight. I am eating so much butter that there might be a shortage soon! At less than 30g carbs a day (one day was 9g) I must be in ketosis now, it's a pity I can't find those ketostix to test and confirm this. :rolleyes: I'm not hungry at all either and have lots more energy.

I have always tried to low carb, but it's the high fat bit of the equation that I was never sure of. So now I have upped the fats and calories and I'm losing weight. Just shows that not all calories are equal. :)

Reactions: 13 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The amazing thing is I am consuming so many more calories and am losing weight. I am eating so much butter that there might be a shortage soon! At less than 30g carbs a day (one day was 9g) I must be in ketosis now, it's a pity I can't find those ketostix to test and confirm this. :rolleyes: I'm not hungry at all either and have lots more energy.

I have always tried to low carb, but it's the high fat bit of the equation that I was never sure of. So now I have upped the fats and calories and I'm losing weight. Just shows that not all calories are equal. :)

That is EXACTLY my experience.

Isn't it marvellous? Like being given a totally unexpected present. One that you never imagined would ever be yours.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is EXACTLY my experience.

Isn't it marvellous? Like being given a totally unexpected present. One that you never imagined would ever be yours.
Yes it is! I still can't believe it! I was so close to the answer for a few years but just didn't quite get there before. I was probably just 10-20g carbs a day away from it. Will it stay like this now? It's so easy to have willpower when something works. Will it really keep working? It's so exciting :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it is! I still can't believe it! I was so close to the answer for a few years but just didn't quite get there before. I was probably just 10-20g carbs a day away from it. Will it stay like this now? It's so easy to have willpower when something works. Will it really keep working? It's so exciting :)

Will it continue? Yup. Until you either add carbs back, or eat HUGE amounts of fat, to stabilise.

I lost about a stone (blown away by it!) but it took about 6 months. Not much by normal standards, but for me? Unheard of.
But then I started messing with the magic formula. Ate according to phase 1 and 2 of the Diabetes Miracle eating plan, and ended up yoyo ing the same 7 lbs.
Only just settling down after that.

To be honest, at my age and BMI I only want to lose about 2 stone a year. Max. And I've lost 20 lbs in 9 months, so I don't want to speed up! I would rather my skin has time to shrink than I hit some target on the scales. I have no expectation of reversing my diabetes, so I'm not aiming for that target.

But really, yes, it will continue.
As long as you keep the carbs down low enough to prevent carb bloat and carb cravings.
And don't get obsessed and dispirited if you plateau.
Don't change the formula, just wait it out.

Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I just wish someone had told me this 10 years ago. I consider I am eating huge amounts of fat already! :)

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I just wish someone had told me this 10 years ago. I consider I am eating huge amounts of fat already! :)

Pleeeease can you define a HUGE amount of fat? I've reduced my carbs to 17g a day and don't think I have the ratios right yet....:(

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pleeeease can you define a HUGE amount of fat? I've reduced my carbs to 17g a day and don't think I have the ratios right yet....:(

For me, a huge amount of fat is, typically:

A coffee with cream (to taste) in the morning.
Maybe a coyo (coconut yog) 17g fat

Lunch: a 40g bag posh pork scratchings and 100g Brie

Evening: meat, veg, with some cheese on top (to taste) followed by a bowl of berries&cream (maybe two heaped tsps of extra thick double cream)

Plus a large dessertsp of peanut butter at bedtime.

I would describe all my portions as generous.

It defies logic, but I am losing. Happily. Slowly. No cravings. No hunger. No distress. And a touch of awe.

Edited to add: but I also need to drink MASSES of water, and walk 7,000 steps a day. Or the weightloss stalls.

Last edited by a moderator:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
For me, a huge amount of fat is, typically:

A coffee with cream (to taste) in the morning.
Maybe a coyo (coconut yog) 17g fat

Lunch: a 40g bag posh pork scratchings and 100g Brie

Evening: meat, veg, with some cheese on top (to taste) followed by a bowl of berries&cream (maybe two heaped tsps of extra thick double cream)

Plus a large dessertsp of peanut butter at bedtime.

I would describe all my portions as generous.

It defies logic, but I am losing. Happily. Slowly. No cravings. No hunger. No distress. And a touch of awe.

I would say,
one coffee and a yoghurt, a bag of scratchings and some cheese, some veg, with cheese, berries with a couple of teaspoons of cream, and a spoon of peanut butter, for an entire day of food, is portion control as an extreme sport.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[
I would say,
one coffee and a yoghurt, a bag of scratchings and some cheese, some veg, with cheese, berries with a couple of teaspoons of cream, and a spoon of peanut butter, for an entire day of food, is portion control as an extreme sport.

You missed the bit about generous portions.
And the fact that fat is deeply satisfying.
I'm averaging 1800-2600 calories a day.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
[

You missed the bit about generous portions.
And the fact that fat is deeply satisfying.
I'm averaging 1800-2600 calories a day.

I didn't and I didn't miss the edit on meat either.
I think you need to itemise the calories in the amounts you eat, I think you may be surprised.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Me too. :)

I would be hungry on those calories, but i probably have a much higher BMI, so I can eat more and lose weight. For now.

I AM hungry now since calorie counting but wasn't before. And I was losing weight before too but am not now #hackedoff!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't and I didn't miss the edit on meat either.
I think you need to itemise the calories in the amounts you eat, I think you may be surprised.

I did. On myfitnesspal.
The cream quantities are scary high. Well, they were. I've mentally adjusted now.

For me, 'a coffee' is 450ml of filtered, with about half an inch of cream poured in on top.
Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.
And, like zand, it delights me.