Help! I have so much weight to lose

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I expect that it will even out, I think we all have different weight distributions, we lose it all over but it's going to be more noticeable in the places we weren't really that big so haven't much to lose.
If I lose weight, I lose my boobs because they are naturally small .if I lose a lot like I did before diagnosis then then it looks absolutely dreadful . ( the skin there isn't elastic when you've had children and are now a grandmother)
Your hands and face fortunately have bones for support and not really that much fat so a small amount will make the difference. I agree about the moisturising of the face it can't do any harm and there are certainly people with good skin who swear by it. I wonder though if that is just lucky genes (creams on the outside, unfortunately can't effect the elastin that enables the skin to stretch and contract, genetics can)
@ Brunneria, May I ask if you were doing the walking before? I've just done a rough calorie/exercise count and that 5km or so a day makes quite a big difference to your net calories (providing you aren't now down to eight and a half stone.
I know that I cannot eat the amount of calories I do,albeit using a different diet, without at least that amount of daily exercise and maintain let alone lose weight.

I'm not suggesting merely moisturising the face; I mean moisturise everywhere. Asde from the benefits of the emollients. The massaging action is good for blood flow, which also encourages tone, look, texture etc. And, of course, one feels just a little pampered.

Shea Butter, Aloe Vera gel, Coco Butter,.................. even Nivea is fine. Just lots of it, often.

Reactions: 4 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Brunneria
You will also have reduced your insulin resistance from the weight loss ;a circular good thing, because losing the weight probably makes it easier to walk more which again reduces resistance.. The 'bad' thing is that as you lose weight you don't expend so many calories when walking (think if you had to carry a 20lb backpack, I've done it and can tell you it makes you more tired and you need a lot more fuel
Off topic.
Calories are complicated so I'm not going to try and discuss that on this thread! (I wrote far too much on the GI one the other day)
Two books you might like to add to your collection (or get out of the library) They are not from a low carb perspective . They show that conventional thought isn't that straightforward either.
Marion Nestle Calories Count From Science to politics
and perhaps not so conventional; a theory of how cooking/processing made fuel (calories) more accessible and influenced man's evolution.
Richard Wrangham Catching the Fire

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria
You will also have reduced your insulin resistance from the weight loss ;a circular good thing, because losing the weight probably makes it easier to walk more which again reduces resistance.. The 'bad' thing is that as you lose weight you don't expend so many calories when walking (think if you had to carry a 20lb backpack, I've done it and can tell you it makes you more tired and you need a lot more fuel
Off topic.
Calories are complicated so I'm not going to try and discuss that on this thread! (I wrote far too much on the GI one the other day)
Two books you might like to add to your collection (or get out of the library) They are not from a low carb perspective . They show that conventional thought isn't that straightforward either.
Marion Nestle Calories Count From Science to politics
and perhaps not so conventional; a theory of how cooking/processing made fuel (calories) more accessible and influenced man's evolution.
Richard Wrangham Catching the Fire

Yes.

Just finished reading Phinney and Volek's Art and Science of Low Carb Living. They go into the calories issue in quite a lot of detail. and Insulin resistance, which I understand far better now. Fascinating. Previously, I really didn't appreciate the huge impact that insulin resistance has, especially in women, especially in women with hormonal stuff going on.

Volek and Phinney have also done studies on groups of morbidly obese people (like me) and 1 study observed the effects over 56 weeks. The diet was something like 1600 cals, ketogenic, with 2g of added sodium. Their observation was that exercise wasn't much of a factor, and that, for the year, plateauing and stalling of weight loss was far less than on low fat diets of the same calorific intake. The blood panel benefits were very impressive.

I found their book has increased my understanding dramatically, and it has inspired me to buy the New Atkins Diet book that they co-authored. I'll see what other pearls of wisdom I can pick up in there. :)

Edited to add: they have also done some work on the levels of fat needed for weight loss and maintenance, in ketosis. I must admit the graphs looked rather intimidating. To eat their projected amount of fat for weight maintenance, at my current weight, would be frankly impossible, I think. Unless I stopped moving altogether!
Shucks. It looks like weight loss is inevitable for me. How WILL I cope? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If only I had time to read all this right now! I've just had my counselling session and am now going to visit my Aunt. I can't wait to get back to read this lot properly. :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's almost a year since I started this thread so I thought it was time for an update.

There's not a lot to say though! My weight is around the same as when I last posted, so are my BG's. I am still having counselling which is going OK mostly. It all seems a bit slow I was hoping to be a lot further on by now. Still, I'm well over 2 stones lighter than this time last year so that has to be good. :)

Reactions: 20 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's almost a year since I started this thread so I thought it was time for an update.

There's not a lot to say though! My weight is around the same as when I last posted, so are my BG's. I am still having counselling which is going OK mostly. It all seems a bit slow I was hoping to be a lot further on by now. Still, I'm well over 2 stones lighter than this time last year so that has to be good. :)

The bit I like most about your post is that you have sustained your weight loss. That sort of gives you the option to pick up where you left off, of you follow my logic.

Reactions: 5 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You should be so proud of yourself zand, you have kept the weight off and your beating your demons, that in my book makes you a winner.
:):):):)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You should be so proud of yourself zand, you have kept the weight off and your beating your demons, that in my book makes you a winner.
:):):):)
Thanks I just wish I could start losing more weight now, but I guess those demons are more important than the weight for now. :)

Reactions: 3 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agreed ! Two stone off has stayed two stone off while you have been demon busting :) that's actually one hell of an achievement ! :D Well done you ! :D

Signy

( Ya know, I'd forgotten what a cracking thread this was ! :) It got to 84 pages ! And it's not over yet )

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
@zand glad you are feeling you can post again , keeping the 2 stone off is a huge achievement xxx

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Keep at it @zand we're always here for you.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hurrah! I had wondered, but didn't like to ask.

Well done zand!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Zand - you've managed to keep the weight off which is a great achievement and your BS is still benefitting from it. Keep fighting those demons!

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
Brilliant! Well done @zand. Keep going - it is worth it!

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well done Zand. Keep training harder, and check your diet. Keep updating your weight, bmi with dates. I wish that you get this T2D under your control and stay healthy

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Zand. Keep training harder, and check your diet. Keep updating your weight, bmi with dates. I wish that you get this T2D under your control and stay healthy
Thank you for your encouragement :)

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness

hi Zand, haven't been on here for some time, saw this and had to say well done, you've done amazing. I hope you give those demons a good punch, get some boxing glove on (in your mind at least) and punch them out of your life. Stand tall and be proud, so happy for you. Take care Jill

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yay! It's been a long time coming but I've lost another pound! I am taking half the dose of anti-depressants now and my counselling sessions are coming to an end in the next month or so. I will be making an appointment with my chiropractor again soon as my neck/back are playing up again. (Oh how I wish I could tell the man who gave me this whiplash injury 25+ years ago just how much trouble he has caused me through his careless driving. grrrr)