Help - I need more info on type 2

bluestar

Its been a meek since I have been diagnosed. Everything is still a mystery to me. My HBa1c leves were 11.4 and I have been testing my bg levels before and after meals. Can someone clarify these issues to me -
1- When are the best readings 1 or 2 hours after meals
2- As my BG levels were reaaly high last week ( around 15 and above) this week they have reduced from 6.5 - 8.5. Are these ranges acceptable? I have cut all the carbs this week and I have found out that it reduces my BG levels.
3 - I was told to go on the medication (metromofin) but I persuaded the health proffessional that I would like to try diet and exersice. (Has any one read the online book DEATH TO DIABETES - the writer states that it is possible to this). Please let me know.

Is it possible for someone with a diagnosis as mine to go on for years reducing the BG levels with diet and exercice. I need to hear from people who have achieved this for years (without meds) and also if there have been any problems on the way

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Bluestar.
This subject was covered in a previous post you made. Did you read the information in Sue's post.....
Here is the link:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=14942&p=136362#p136358

The information about when and why you test is in that post. As regards the 1 hr test that some people use when newly diagnosed or when trying out new foods it is just to show any 'spikes' in your Bg levels. No more. By two hours you should normally be back down to something close to your pre-meal reading.

Have a read of Sue's post in the link, it should answer most of your questions.

There are many people on this Forum who have managed to keep good control of their Bg levels by using just diet and exercise.

Ken

markd

I can't say how long it will last (hopefully a long time!), but exercise/diet/weightloss has certainly worked for me.

At the beginning (2+ years ago), I was: very overweight, with a BMI in the high 30's - fasting 7+, A1c around 8 - blurred eyesight and tired all the time - high blood pressure (165/95) - failed one OGTT, but passed another. Really, just on the tipping point between very high pre-diabetic and runaway diabetes.

Since then, I've: exercised frequently (moderate walking) - cut out most refined carbs - was on Metformin for a brief period then Glucobay (which is really great stuff) also for a short period.

Today, : lost well over 100lbs, bringing my BMI down to 24, waistline down to 34" (from 48") fasting this morning was 4.3, last A1c was 4.7, BP 126/71 and have twice passed an informal OGTT.

From my trusty OneTouch meter's software, my two week averages:

fasting:4.6
2hrs after lunch: 4.4
before dinner: 4.7
2hrs after dinner: 4.8 (OK, confession time, had burgers in buns with fries twice this month)
night: 4.4

(one month averages a little higher, I had a glitch caused by a temporary anaemic episode)

So, do I have diabetes any more? if I were to walk into a GPs office (and they did not know my history), they'd look at my present numbers and say that I have no excess risks and that I do not have diabetes, nor am I even prediabetic.

Obviously, if I went back to being a slob, I have no doubt that diabetes would be back with a vengeance!

I'm of the opinion that early intervention with Metformin as a good idea, since it helps get you down to non-damaging levels much faster, only then try and come off it when you are able. There are reports that the earlier you start it, the longer you are able to avoid other - more side-effect prone - drugs like insulin and those that force the pancreas to produce more insulin.

I still have a supply of Glucobay/Acarbose - taken with the occasional high carbohydrate meal (Christmas/Birthday/vacation &c.) it prevents damagingly high spikes, effectively turning a 'bad' meal into a low GI one - to an extent.

I still test reasonably frequently (more than I ought/need to, I think - it is easy to get a bit paranoid and anxious about BG - trying to wean myself off it). I'm subject to occasional anaemia and that pushes my BG up a bit, until I take supplements that brings it down again.

I've slacked-off on the exercise a bit (but still do it 3 or 4 times per week) but my weight remains stable at around 35% less than I started from. If anything, there is still a very slight downward trend in my blood glucose averages.

So, long rambing reply to your question boils down to - yes, I think you can.

This is the time when you have the best chance to improve your long term outcome - go for it.

Hope this helps.

mark

C

catherinecherub

Hi bluestar,
You are always going to be a diabetic.

With hard work using diet and exercise you may be able to go into "remission" but a lot depends on how long you were a diabetic before diagnosis. It has been suggested in various research papers that this can be as long as 10yrs so your poor pancreas would have taken a battering.

There is no shame in taking medication and some people find that this gives them a good start and they eventually are able to manage without it. Some of our members with Type 2 started on insulin but came off it later.

You say you have cut out all the carbs but you have to remember that there are carbs in most foods.
You have lowered the obvious carbs is probably a better suggestion unless your diet is very bland.

My HBA1c has stayed steady for a few years now and does not fluctuate. The endo explained that non diabetics have a consistent HBA1c and because I have good control then that is probably why mine stays where it is. This may or may not last as nobody can predict the outcome and there are other factors like stress, illnesses and non diabetic medication that will make a difference. Because we are diabetics it does not mean that we are immune to other problems along the way and these do influence our blood sugars.

All anyone can do is to manage to the best of their ability and there is no blueprint. Testing in the early stages is the key to success. You could follow my diet and have totally different readings.

As to how long anyone has managed on diet alone. I did ask this question recently but did not get any answers. I have been diet alone for 7yrs. I did have a blip when I got fed up with it all and had to take metformin for a few months but I sorted my head out and got back to managing the beast. It is relentless and has to be managed. There are no days off but once you know what you can and cannot eat then it becomes easier. It is also not cut and dried because you could eat the same meal two days running at the same time of day and get different results. You could have been stressed, done less exercise, be sickening for a cold. There are so many factors to take into account.

This is not a race or a competition and we are all here to support you. It took me about 6months to get it sorted and it may well take you less or more.

Lastly, we are all different and have to manage this ourselves with support from our HCP's and this forum.

Hope this helps at this bewildering time.

Take care,

Catherine.

herisson

I'm confused. How do you get an HbA1c value less than 5 ? Yet markd has a reading of 4.7. Goalposts seem to shift constantly.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
herisson said:
I'm confused. How do you get an HbA1c value less than 5 ?
By having an average blood sugar of less than 5.6 mmol/l. Is that what you meant? Or do you mean how does he control his blood sugar so well?

markd

herisson said:
I'm confused. How do you get an HbA1c value less than 5 ? Yet markd has a reading of 4.7. Goalposts seem to shift constantly.

Since I was only borderline diabetic at diagnosis and I've lost a huge amount of weight (most of which I'd gained in quite a short period before diagnosis - effectively forcing me faster into diabetes in a short time), much of my insulin resistance has presumably reversed itself.

If I could post images here, I'd print the summary output of my OneTouch software, so you could get an idea of the pattern of my daily and weekly levels that generally keeps my A1C at 5 or below.

I gnerally don't drop below 25miles per week fast walking (but sometimes double or triple that if I've gained a couple of pounds and/or eaten a 'naughty' meal or two) and eat moderately low carb.

mark