mkzp123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

My son who is now aged nine has had type one diabetes since he was five
At present he is on insulin which is injected four times a day
He is doing well and his last hba1c was 55mm however he has been recommended to test a insolent pump
They have offered us the choice of the following three pumps
Omnipod
Medtronic 640g without cgm
Accuchek combo

We are not 100% sure of which pump to go for to trial
Any recommendations on pros and cons for the pumps will be highly appreciated

How often on insulin pumps will we need to change the cannula - is it every three days ?

Thanking everyone in advance for any responses

Kind Regards

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @mkzp123 The best way to start is to google each pump and list the options available on each and rate them. I can only speak from a 640g and wasn’t given an option however I would of been happy with anything given to me as I fully appreciate the benefits of pumping now and the ease with which I can exercise, improve HbA1c, bolus for ‘difficult’ mealtimes such as take always or restaurants, less severe hypos.

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry try again..we had no choice for our 9y old as she was having fits due to hypos so medtronic was the one with cgm that switches off when she.s low. Having said that it has worked brilliantly. We used mio sets initially (every 3 days change) but she didnt get on so now sure-t which is every 2 days. Refill insulin cartridge every 2-3days and sensor every 6 days. Seemed a lot at first but we do it so quick now it takes minutes inbetween getting home from school and going back out to drama/swimming/ cubs etc etc

Reactions: tircoed