Help! Is my T2 being managed properly?

Pandy54

This is the first time I have posted here, I'm doing so because I'm worried that my diabetes isn't being managed properly and would appreciate some help :?

Having suffered from depression for a couple of years, I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes in December last year. I was prescribed Metformin (1 tab, 3 times a day) and noticed a remarkable improvement in depression symptoms. My doctor dismissed the observation but decided to change my meds to Glycophage (2 tabs in the evening). This was much better in terms of remembering to take them! My first reading was of 10.5, this has come down to 9 recently as I have been very diligent in trying to remove any added sugar from my diet - a huge learning curve here - there is so much sugar 'hidden' in the foods that we buy. I have also tried to increase activity levels.

My job is quite stressful at times and requires a fair amount of driving around the country, so sometimes quite difficult to plan exercise.

I asked my doctor if I could measure my own levels with a meter but was told that she would be managing my diabetes - not me - and that she did not agree with me measuring my own levels. Problem is, I don't seem to be able to get my levels down and don't know what else to do.

Also, I have told the doc that I can recognise when levels are particularly high because I get a very familiar burning sensation in the 'knicker area' (Don't want to be too graphic here!) It lasts for days and is ALWAYS accompanied by some quite severe symptoms of depression. The doctor seems to ignore this completely and offers no suggestions to help.

I visited my dentist yesterday, who told me that there has been a marked deterioration in the state of my teeth and that it was evident to him that I was run down and perhaps my immune system wasn't working properly, probably because of the diabetes.

Can anyone offer my any help/support/advice please?

Lynne51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi pandy54 im sorry i cant advise you on much as im a newbie myself but the one thing that springs to mind is change your dr she really doesnt seem very helpfull my dr also told me not to test when i asked for script for test strips i said i have the diabetes so i will test as not doing so goes against everything i have read its teaching me what kind of foods i can eat and what i cant so ive had no probs with him since i get strips on repeat now all the best lynne x

Pandy54

Thanks Lynne, I might try to see another doctor in the practice. Although last time I did that, the receptionist refused and said that my doc wanted to monitor progress herself. I'll be a bit more forceful next time!

It seems that there is a fair amount of conflicting advice around, I think the only way to be sure of how a particular food effects you, is to try it and test afterwards.

Has anyone else experienced the link between diabetes and depression?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Pandy,next time ask your doctor if she is prepared to come and test you before each meal and then two hours after because, that is the only way YOU can manage YOUR diabetes!!! :D Testing is the only sure way to find the foods that affect your blood sugar levels and help you learn which foods to eat and which to stay away from or reduce.

Pandy54

I'm so glad I found this forum - thanks to all the people who have responded here and through PM's. I really appreciate all the advice given 8)

Action Plan:

Find a new GP
Start testing before and after meals
Follow a GI based diet
Reduce carbs
Get feet and eyes checked
Get more exercise
and Keeping a diary might help - food/meals and readings

It's good to know there are others out there who have 'been there, done that and got the badge' and who are prepared to help those like me who are floundering - big hugs to all!

Lin

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Lin ,a food diary with your readings is a very good idea.Showing these to a doctor can sometimes,depending on the doctor,be a very good thing as it shows that you are ready and willing to try and control your diabetes.This can influence them into prescribing test strips for you for instance.

Pandy54

Hi!
Just thought I would give an update - I went to see the senior doctor in the practice this week and boy, am I glad I did?!

He agreed that my diabetes had not been adequately managed so far and immediately put me on Gliclazide, a low dose of half a tab in the mornings. He also advised me to split my dose of Glucophage so that I take one at breakfast and the other at dinner. Not only that, he also recommends testing bg, once a day to start off with, at varying times - before breakfast, before lunch, mid afternoon and before dinner. I am to keep a diary and go back in a month.

At last - I feel that I am being supported by my doctor!

On the advice of people on this forum, I have drastically reduced my carb intake (max of 2 slices of Bergen bread each day) and have bought a book on GI diet!

Before I went to see the doc, I took an early morning reading and got 10.5 - before I had even got out of bed! Three days later, I took a reading at midday and it was only 6!

I know it's early days yet but I'm hopeful that - at last - I'm beginning to make some progress :D :D :D

Spiral

This is good news :mrgreen: I think you will find that you have more energy and less lethargy as your blood sugar returns to normal levels. This may have an impact on your depression. Good luck!

As far as easily digestible information on blood sugar goes I found that http://www.bloodsugar101.com gave me something I could work with because it took the blame (T2 diabetics are fat lazy slobs who brought their condition on themselves) away. You don't need self blame when you are dealing with depression. As a T2 she gives some really good advice on getting to grips with your blood sugar. I found that site before I found this one, and I think that what I learned about blood sugar over there and the support I have had here and at http://www.lowcarbdiabetes.comis responsible for my returning health :mrgreen:

However, if you go to bloodsugar101, remember it is an American website and their numbers are measured differently - divide the apparently very large number given there by 1.12, then that answer by 18 to get a number you would see on your own UK meter. Simples :roll:

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's good news. I don't think testing once a day at different times is ideal unless you're levels are particularly consistent from day to day (but how would you know that without testing?). At least you now have a doctor who wants you to test, so you could go back with your carefully completed diary (to show your commitment) and suggest that testing before and after meals would give you better information.

lesleyr284

Doctors doctors! They are a nightmare. I'm so glad you managed to get one to stop and listen. Mine has declared that after my last HbA1c of 5.8 I no longer need to test. Only when I'm ill!!!! So she won't prescribe any more test strips and there's not a thing I can do about it. Get them on ebay now.
You just need to watch the wide variance in guidance re diet. Test your foods and know yourself which set you off, then plan your meals round that. Be firm. It's your body and your life.

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
I am glad you are seeing another doctor. I had the same problem when my blood sugars were too high before being diagnosed, and then later when my blood sugars were not managed properly. I found I became depressed but also extremely snappy with my family, my tolerance level seemed to be very low. When I told the dietician she asked if that was a change from usual. This made me feel misunderstood but then she had already said before she didn't know anything about diabetes. The practise nurse tells me Metformin is very mild and she thinks she should be in control of my diabetes too, and not me, so I don't get prescribed test strips either and when I said that I have gone below 4.00 mmol/l she said that even she goes as low as 3.5 mmol/l. My first thought was 'is she diabetic ?' and then 'at least she can test her blood sugar?' I felt like I had been slapped in the face at the time but later realized she is only following orders from the PCT. Since then, after a long walk, I have gone as low as 2.9 mmol/l. My legs go like jelly and my hands shake badly when I go too low so wouldn't want to be driving if this happens. When I go too low it is because I have walked twice as far as normal or been weeding etc. and I would not get in a car after doing this activity without testing so I buy test strips online. Cutting down on carbs is very useful to lowering blood sugar and testing bg levels before and 2 hours after eating will be very informative of how carbs affect you. Testing is also useful if you get a fever or have diarrohea as both of these conditions dehydrate the body and can cause blood glucose levels to rise to high levels. I know this is more of an issue with type 1 diabetes but it would be sensible to monitor your blood sugars at this time.

wallycorker

lesleyr284 said:
Doctors doctors! They are a nightmare. I'm so glad you managed to get one to stop and listen. Mine has declared that after my last HbA1c of 5.8 I no longer need to test.....
Initially my doctor refused to prescribe so I bought my own on eBay. However, now that I've self-managed my HbA1c down to 5.3% he has decided to start prescribing strips.

It is a crazy world!!!!!