Type 2 Help me please

Gilbey

Hello, this is my first time on here so please bear with me, I’ve only just started doing the finger prick testing and I don’t know what it a good or bad reading. It’s going between 6.7 and today it’s 20…….can anyone help me please.???

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, this is my first time on here so please bear with me, I’ve only just started doing the finger prick testing and I don’t know what it a good or bad reading. It’s going between 6.7 and today it’s 20…….can anyone help me please.???
Hello @Gilbey ,

Take a breath, you're going to be fine. Can you tell us a little more about yourself? There are many kinds of diabetes, and treatment varies, so... Can you tell us what type you are, what medication you use, your HbA1c and such?

To answer your first question, 20 is a bit too high indeed. Preferably blood sugars should stay below 8,5 throughout the day. I'm a Type 2, and I went well into the 20's when first diagnosed. Now I range between 4.-something and 5.-something. So if you're a T2, it can be done, alright? As for testing, it helps if you have a bit of a system in place. test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. You're aiming for a rise of no more, and preferably less than 2.0 mmol/l. That's more doable than you might think right now, still assuming you're a Type 2, just takes a little tweaking in your diet. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help some in that area. Just be careful. I don't know what medication you're on, and while changes can be made just fine when you're on metformin, some other medications could increase the risk of a hypo. So do get back to us so we know what advice to give you eh. And if you see numbers climbing higher than that 20 and you feel unwell or worried, don't hesitate to call 111 for help, alright?

You'll be okay. Honest.
Jo