Help!!! Need to get back in control

mouseee

Diagnosed 18 months ago t2 with hba1c of 101. Got it down to 38 in 6 months. Lost weight, felt healthy etc.
However, over the past year I have lost more and more control over my carb intake. Lock down has definitely impacted on me - just like most people.
There are many reasons for my current situation, wont say failure, but they are all pretty lame when I look at them.
I think the main problem is that, when diagnosed, I had masses of bad symptoms, could see the end result of t2 in my mum and had motivation to change. Now, I have no symptoms and I'm not dead! So, now I'm finding it hard to need to eat properly. As my brain is insistent I don't have to avoid carbs now.
My latest hba1c was 49, weirdly I was hoping it was higher so I'd shock myself into action again.
Everyday I start fresh and as the day goes on, my will power goes and the carbs go in.

I know all the bad stuff, I know why I shouldn't be eating as I do, but I am struggling.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
do you test?
I find seeing my numbers, and the high ones in particular, remind me of the otherwise unseen damage that I am doing to myself. Helps motiviate me to stay away from carbs

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @MrsA2 I test at least three times a day. Not because my levels aren't in control but to keep myself motivated. I can see straight away when I have too many carbs that my levels increase- still with normal range but- and the big but for me- I may live for a while yet- mid 50s so I have a while to go. I don't believe it will become easier with age to keep my levels within normal range I suspect it may get more difficult so I keep them as low as possible now.

Another thing- it is about health. If my levels stay as low as possible there is much less risk of diabetes complications.

The last thing - I find the lower I keep my carbs the easier it is- 2 reasons the first is the physical cravings are less but the second is that I have strict rules about what I can and cannot eat. I keep my carb intake less than 20 grams a day and usually less than 10-this is my limit and my brain knows this so there is no 'cheating' or days off or anything like that. No choices to be made on a daily basis. I have made my choice and this is my life. I find it easier not to do any (or at least much) weighing. Most of what I eat has very low or no carbs so I have crispy skin salmon for example- I just have as much as I need to satisfy me. If I am a bit hungrier- just have a bit more. It's easier for me than the continual weighing of low calories. I just focus on the stuff I can eat.

We had lollies at work- I looked up the carb intake of a mintie- 6 or 7 grams- my entire days allowance practically- no way it was worth that. so no decision to be made. I think I would find it harder on say 80 grams of carbs- yes I could have a Mintie but could I just have one? similarly I could have some (name carb of choice) but a limited amount. That would be harder for me than none,

My last thing is that I really suffered from the keto flu- don't fancy doing that again.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Make a plan.
Stick to it if it works.
If it doesn't work, make another plan.
Maybe starting off with a meal plan and a shopping list, making sure that you have an abundance of things you can eat - maybe make a casserole or stew and divide it up into portions to freeze, make some desserts or low carb baked goods, always have something to eat on hand.

Reactions: VashtiB

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @mouseee lovely to see you back.

Great that you’ve come back - shows you’re ready to get back.

I’d say the following:

- You’ve done it before and know all the tips/tricks, so this is really about reawakening your ‘why’ and finding the right mindset to get going and keep going.
- As a starter, make a plan. Even if it’s just for today. Stick to it and then repeat it tomorrow.
- Each day will get easier and if you slip a bit, notice it and notice what you were doing, but without criticism. Rather it’s an observation to learn from. Then draw a line under it and keep going.
- Try and think of the positives and what you’re gaining rather than what you’re giving up.

And I highly, highly recommend this book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fork-Road-Hopeful-Guide-Freedom-ebook/dp/B08XZL1LLJ

And the associated website: https://forkintheroad.co.uk/

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

mouseee

Hi @mouseee lovely to see you back.

Great that you’ve come back - shows you’re ready to get back.

I’d say the following:

- You’ve done it before and know all the tips/tricks, so this is really about reawakening your ‘why’ and finding the right mindset to get going and keep going.
- As a starter, make a plan. Even if it’s just for today. Stick to it and then repeat it tomorrow.
- Each day will get easier and if you slip a bit, notice it and notice what you were doing, but without criticism. Rather it’s an observation to learn from. Then draw a line under it and keep going.
- Try and think of the positives and what you’re gaining rather than what you’re giving up.

And I highly, highly recommend this book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fork-Road-Hopeful-Guide-Freedom-ebook/dp/B08XZL1LLJ

And the associated website: https://forkintheroad.co.uk/
Yep.... thats it. I know what to do... I know it works... and I've done it and supported and advised others on it too.

I will have a look at the ebook. I've seen that mentioned on here before.

If I hadn't done it the first time, I would have been really poorly. I saw my mum be very ill from not controlling carbs.

Every day is a fresh start. I had slipped into a slice of toast, then two slices for breakfast. This morning, a yogurt with 8 carbs. I know that's still carbs but better than the 50 from toast.
I have to sort the 'carb binge' when I get home from work. Always been an issue.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to sort the 'carb binge' when I get home from work. Always been an issue
I've just been listening to a podcast about changing habits.
Basically be new and fresh, so rather than heading straight for the cupboard (or whatever you do) go for a walk, or to a different room, or for a shower or phone a friend...anything that is different to what you have habitually done.
Of course it will help if those carbs aren't there or available either, and have been replaced with stuff you can have...
Each small step can make a difference . Just make sure you do take a step
Good luck