Help Needed Asap

xmas

Hello guys n girls

First of all sorry about my spelling here its not my best point but im trying my best

ive only been using this 5-6 days and im in thailand so havent got a lot of help right now or not help i understand for 7 years ive been a fool and havent seen a doctor at all and just carried on taking nonomix 30 on the same doses i was on 7 years ago silly boy i know, also the last 3-4 years ive been eating **** well sweets etc and drinking a fair bit so about week ago i thought i would sort this out.

I cant change what ive done or damage ive done but what i can promise is another drink will never pass my lips and i will real try my best to get this right i really want to get my results perfect but this isnt easy right now with 4 injections a day but im sure when i learn more it will become easier

im working in thailand and have a thai wife so i cant just see my doctor in the UK so i went to a hospital here and paid

Anyway i had my eyes looked at first and the photo taken etc and the eye doctor siad signs of diabetes in the eyes but only mild right now (i can post the photos later) then i had to wait about for ages and ages as i could not drive home

so this evening i fast from 10pm not a thing to eat or drink at 9am i see the diabetic doctor and they take my blood and then say ok go and eat breakfast and come back in a hour and we will check the blood now im sure im ok as i havent eaten anything but boy was i wrong

when i went back she was not happy all my reading were wrong my blood sugar was 22 after fasting all night and my triglycerides was 400 she siad this is very bad !!! so she gave me fibrill160 for this

and she told me to take 50 units of lantus in the evening and 30 units of novorapid before meals 3 times a day but this im sure is to much as ive been having hypos so ive changed my rapid depending on what i eat (is this right)

my problem i need to know is before a meal or shall i say 4-5 hours after a meal im low been getting 3.4. 3.5 make my dizzy as hell now do i need to bring down the lantus or the rapid

im on 50 lantus on the evening and novorapid 3 times a day different shots from 15 -25

im very new to all this and test a lot

like yesterday

i woke up very dizzy 3.4 had a couple of biscuits straight away and a tiny bit of mars bar

a hour later took 12 units of rapid and had

Had 2 ambled eggs on toast and half can bake beans

After breakfast 12.8

Before Lunch 8.4 (17 units)

6inch subway brown bread and ham aand a cookie

After Lunch 7.4.

Before dinner 4.2 (25 unit)

5pm, New spuds in skin, 5 vegs

After dinner 6.9

8.30pm. 3.9

Had some sugar

7.0 at 10pm

Had sandwidge before bed 2 slices

--------------

TUESDAY

Before breakfast 5.7

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Try to get yourself into a routine by eating the same quantity of carbs for each meal on a day-to-day basis. That way you can be predictable about how much insulin you need. Avoid fast food, you don't know how much carbohydrate is in it.

Well done for testing. If you go hypo within about 4 hours of eating then your Novorapid is too high for that given meal. The best way to know whether your Novorapid or Lantus is wrong is by not eating about 4 hours before bed, testing before you go to sleep and then test when you wake. Any changes in your sugar levels will be down to the Lantus only, so change accordingly. It is important that your Lantus levels is correct otherwise its impossible for you to figure out if your Novorapid is correct, so make sure that you've got your Lantus levels sorted.

You can reverse some damage done by high sugar levels, but you must improve your control. Sounds like your making the right decisions, so good luck. If you've got any more questions then just ask.

xmas

also when my levels are normal like 5 ish im still feeling tingly and a bit dizzy do you think this is because ive been so high for ages that my body needs to get used to it

and also my vision over the last 3-4 days is a little worst kind of blurry (short) long is ok

Lezzles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
CJ from the Egg heads
Shellfish
Leaving home without an umbrella
Hi Xmas,

When you have been running high for so long you're body will think it's going hypo even at a 'normal' level. This will soon even itself out and you will only feel this when you are actually low.

As for the vision thing it is normal to be a bit blurry for a little while when your BGs are coming back down.

a little patience is needed for a while but you will get there.
i am also just beginning to take full control and it's driving me mad but it will be worth it.

stick in there and good luck x

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Xmas, I am type 2 on diet only and so cannot offer any real advice but stick in there and the very best of luck to you, regards, Debra x

xmas

ive dropped my lantus tonight by 4 to 46 as i think to was to high so lets see what that brings

etmsreec

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi xmas,

My DSN suggested missing a meal out (and missing the short acting that went with it) to check whether the background insulin was working right. If it's right, then missing the meal and the short-acting insulin shouldn't affect your sugar levels.

The way that background is typically changed is to get the morning blood sugar level right, then adjust the short acting insulins to take account of the meals - often starting at a ratio of 1 unit of insulin to every ten grammes of carbohydrate. The ratio might be different at breakfast, at lunch and at dinner, but 1u to 10g is a starting point.

It's important, as others have said, to work out a pattern for what your sugars are doing rather than reacting to only one reading.

When you were first diagnosed, the regimen was probably take this many units and this much carbohydrate and that'll be fine. I know that it was with me! Now, there are many other factors that are involved, from basal/bolus to dawn phenomenon. It's become a complicated world with what we've apparently learned!

Steve

xmas

Hi again, sorry if this is boring you but its nice to have some one to tell as here in thailand its real not easy for me at all

woke up this morning and eyes are poor and kind of jumping all over the place but get a bit better after a fer minutes but still sight very blurry compaired to last week when i was very high i hope this changes as i have a job reading my blackberry now Lol, to me its very strange that my eyes were better when i was real high but as someone siad before maybe my bodys getting use to being normal

heres yesterdays results

TUESDAY

Before breakfast 5.7 (10 Units)

Mc breekkie

After breakfast 90 mins 9.1

3 hours 5.9

Before Lunch 3.9 (10 units)

Sandwich and 4 small biscuits

After Lunch 75 miutes was 7.1

3 hours later Got dizzy so had 3 small biscuits

Before dinner 10 (17 units)

Gammon, new pots, peas

After dinner 5.4

7.30pm 3.9

Eat biscuits and ham sandwich

9.30pm 9.0

Took 44 units lantus

11pm 5.4 bed time

----------------

WEDNESDAY

Before breakfast wake up 4.3 (10 units)

scrambled eggs on roast , half can bake beans

After breakfast 8.0

10.30am 6.4

its only 11am here now

---------------------------------------

so lantus

11pm 5.4 bed time and woke up i was 4.3 so shall i take less lantus this evening do you think

----------------

Thanks again guys you help has been great so far

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I personally wouldn't, you only dropped 1.1 units. Other's might, but I think that is OK and that you should aim to get your Novorapid amounts sorted. You should aim for consistent pre- and post-meal levels. Baked beans have lots of sugar in them so are best avoided, they are better than fast food, however. As mentioned earlier keep the amount of carbs for the same breakfast, lunch and dinner the same on a day-to-day basis. If you find that your levels are going up, or down then adjust your dose accordingly. It is a case of trial and error until you figure out what your carb/insulin ratio is.

If I were you, I'd stick to scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast. You may need more insulin for breakfast because of extra hormones hanging round in your system during sleep. If you find that your sugar levels are consistent before and after breakfast, but you're hypo before lunch then you may need a couple of biscuits mid morning.

xmas

Thanks for the advise

My sight is worrying me today very blurred for reading etc a lot worst then when I was very high I hope this sorts itself out to at least the same as it was a week ago

xmas

That's good to hear as it's a worry. I really need to go and get some reading glasses but I need my eyes to settle down first

Thanks