Help needed for RH.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Honest answer!
Hi again, how are you feeling now that you have had a diagnosis?
I would definitely have a real deep think about going on a ketogenic diet rather than surgery. I really had my head churning and the anxiety and the doubt that I could keep it up.
In the end it is your decision. You know yourself.
Are you up to very low carb, could you do anything else?
I can only say that I know I made the right decision to stop eating those baddies, and I've not doubted myself since.
Really, after a while,you don't feel the hunger or the craving, it is about being strong willed and you should ask your family to help you.

I think I have just remembered, that sometimes after surgery, you have to eat low carb anyway, maybe I'm wrong!

The treatment is food, and not eating those that cause the problems!
Why do you want to eat those that make you ill.
If you had a peanut allergy, would you eat them?

We will help you regardless of what you decide.
Hope this helps, even a little bit.

Reactions: 2 people

tooner9

Type of diabetes
HCP
my nurse mentioned a protein only diet which im considering
im doing an indepth food diary and testing my blood sugar before i eat

tooner9

Type of diabetes
HCP
another question say my blood sugar is 4.9 then i ear then two hrs later it drops to below 4.0 does it mean what ever i ate is no good (carbs)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
my nurse mentioned a protein only diet which im considering
im doing an indepth food diary and testing my blood sugar before i eat

If you can do salad veg, like lettuce etc, that with the protein would be great.
Yes, you do need a diary, always put your readings before and one hour after,(for the spike) and two hours with a break down of what you have ate, how much, how many calories, and carbs if possible. As much info as possible. It will all help.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are a lot of variables.

But generally speaking, most people trundle along with pretty steady blood glucose.
If they eat something with carbs and protein in, their blood glucose with rise, then fall, and will return to the same, steady ish level
A type 2 diabetic could eat the same thing, their blood glucose would rise, and then take hours to drop again.
A reactive hypoglycaemic would eat the same thing, their blood glucose would rise (probably quickly) and then fall (probably quickly) and end up lower than they started.

So, yes, dropping to 4 after eating may be indicative of RH (and eating too many carbs)

But you REALLY need to do a lot more testing, to establish patterns, before drawing any conclusions.
Try different foods to see if you only get that reaction with carbs. or with carbs and other foods. then test just protein. and fats (for instance coffee with cream) and see how your body reacts to each food.

Even normal people have blood glucose that drops after eating sometimes, because it can be affected by stress, and exercise, and what they ate.

Hope that helps.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
another question say my blood sugar is 4.9 then i ear then two hrs later it drops to below 4.0 does it mean what ever i ate is no good (carbs)

Regardless of how low carb you go, you will be better eating very small meals every three hours, maybe less if need be. It is weird that regardless of how low carb we go, we have to keep eating regularly once we start in the morning, it's funny and weird that if I fast, my bloods don't go anywhere.
I'm now going to start my mid afternoon Small meal, first of the day, as I'm intermittent fasting today. My bloods have not been below 4.3 and above 5.1 mmols.

tooner9

Type of diabetes
HCP
im trying a protein day today
i was told by dietican to have my cup of tea before i eat what do u guys reckon

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry, been at work today.
If I was going to do a very high protein day, I would have something full fat to help to slow digestion down. If I could have cream in my cuppa that's ideal.
If you have something to drink before any meal, it is supposed to fill you up quicker and the less food is always better. Hope you don't have milk in your cuppa, as that has a few bad carbs because of lactose. Always remember to still drink plenty of water and add salt to your meals.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's ok, you are learning and its better to be asking than blindly going on not knowing.
yes i had milk oops i need milk in my tea

The higher the fat the better.
Do you buy full fat milk it has less carbs, but cream has virtually none!

tooner9

Type of diabetes
HCP
yes i buy full fat milk for my cuppa but have red milk in my porridge which im not sure in ok for me

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
yes i buy full fat milk for my cuppa but have red milk in my porridge which im not sure in ok for me

As I say you are still learning, and getting real beneficial advice from us, who have been there.

Porridge would have me feeling awful and send my bloods rocketing and that's with water! It was because of porridge that I got diagnosed when I did, I was following the recommended diet from a dietician that thought eating porridge and carbs was good for me. How wrong she was!
Can you give me some idea of what you are eating now, since you have been diagnosed?
I won't be judgemental, but I think that you were given the same advice I was.
You still could be eating too many carbs.

tooner9

Type of diabetes
HCP
brekkie-porridge
snack-two slices ham
lunch-scrambled egg
snack-low fat yoghurt
tea-meat of somesort/veg
snack-oat biscuit
supper-slice of seeded toast with diabetic marmalade

just a quick idea im still playing with it

Reactions: 2 people

tooner9

Type of diabetes
HCP
01715ad5a05d9b030ec04581e4816afc.jpg
0c73491f0ee2434914ee34524edfcd4a.jpg

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
brekkie-porridge
snack-two slices ham
lunch-scrambled egg
snack-low fat yoghurt
tea-meat of somesort/veg
snack-oat biscuit
supper-slice of seeded toast with diabetic marmalade

just a quick idea im still playing with it

That is almost very good,
But I would change the low fat yoghurt to full fat Greek style yoghurt and add a few berries to it. Low fat has added sugars to replace the fat that has been taken out!
Another one of them things that dieticians don't realise how bad these added sugars are for us.
Are you sure you can eat the oat cake? I know I can't.
The diabetic marmalade is not really good either. Too many carbs and sugar, anything that is described as diabetic is usually not good for blood glucose levels.
When I was in hospital, the so called diabetic allowed foods, I couldn't eat except the meat. The likes of weetabix, orange juice, mash, and baked spuds whole grain bread etc. were recommended for diabetics, I tell you, it would be a nightmare to be fed those, wouldn't it?
I do like the food diary and your blood glucose levels are really good and you are eating regularly enough not to go hypo.
Well done, that's really great!
You do seem to be slowly getting your head around it!
It's very hard and we all need to compare what we do.

Keep asking if you are not sure, we will keep guiding you!

Best wishes

Nosher

tooner9

Type of diabetes
HCP
yes i can eat porridge and oatcakes ok am gonna monitor them over next couple of days will re-introduce them and see what happens

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sometimes, you are convinced that things cannot possibly be that bad to make you ill. And sometimes you have to admit that maybe I was wrong and will try and do or not do things. Because ours is so rare and so unique, we are literally writing the rules on this and we are discovering things that apply to many and some to just only us.
A suggestion, can you have porridge with water instead of milk? so that you can test separately.
We do have to keep testing, how are you finding getting the testing strips? are you on prescription?

tooner9

Type of diabetes
HCP
i never knew food could have this affect on me until recently
i just want to get on with my lige
i get testing strips on prescription so thats cool
i will try porridge with water just for u in the morning