Help needed from "experienced" diabetics....

Anwen2011

I have all of the symptoms of diabetes and went to the doctors. I had a test on the glucose meter in the nurses office then went for a random non-fasting glucose test which came back clear. I was curious so I bought an Accuchek Aviva meter. The first time I checked it was 8.9 straight after drinking coke. The next time I checked I had my tea, left it an hour, drank half of a bottle of Lucozade, waited another hour and tested. It came back as 14.9.... :( What should my next step be? Should I try a fasting Lucozade test or just take those results to my doctor? Thanks for any help guys.

jaykay

Hey Anwen. No-one on here can diagnose so we would definitely advise you to go back to the doctors. You could perhaps keep testing and keep a food diary, that way you would have something to show the doctor. Test your bg, write down what you have to eat, then test 2 hours afterwards and keep the records. Just eat your normal foods. Good luck!

Anwen2011

Does 14.9 indicate diabetes? I want to know roughly so I know what to expect. :) I Would type for longer but I'm using my iPod, so apologies if I seem rude!

jaykay

No worries mate :D It sounds high and is definitely in the 'diabetic' range but you say you've had a fasting test and that was negative so there may be something else going on. Whatever it is you need proper medical diagnosis and that only comes from your GP. If you do get diagnosed Diabetic you can come back here for all the support and help we can give but the diagnosis has to come first.

jaykay

Aah sorry, didn't read properly. Well a stand alone test doesn't really tell you anything and your numbers are out of 'normal' range so it's got to be something to pursue. You could do your own fasting test. First thing in the morning, before you eat, drink or even shower, do a bg test.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Anwen2011 said:
I had a test on the glucose meter in the nurses office then went for a random non-fasting glucose test which came back clear.
Do you know what the results of these two test where? clear is not much help, but if they were clear then you are not diabetic.

Anwen2011 said:
I was curious so I bought an Accuchek Aviva meter. The first time I checked it was 8.9 straight after drinking coke.

Sounds normal to me after a big hit of sugar.

Anwen2011 said:
The next time I checked I had my tea, left it an hour, drank half of a bottle of Lucozade, waited another hour and tested. It came back as 14.9.... :(

Sounds normal to me after half a bottle of glucose.

Anwen2011 said:
What should my next step be?

If you are still worried after having seen your doctor and getting a negative fasting blood test result. Go back and see him/her again and relate your fears to them as no one hear can diagnose you over the internet.

If you do turn out to be diabetic then come back and you will be given all the help and support that you need, but I regret there is nothing we as diabetics can do for you till then.

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How about a Hba1C test perhaps? If you tend to have higher bloodsugars your average will be higher than a normal person's as well. Maybe something you could discuss with your doctor?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Anwen,

Definitely go back and discuss with your doctor. Your BGs are too high for 'normal' and you seem to have some difficulty metabolising the sugar - even after the lucozade, a non-diabetic should mostly regain pre-lucozade figures within 2 hours. (This doesn't mean you're diabetic, but it is not normal).

Ask your doctor for a Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT). You have a fasting blood test and then drink a measured amount of glucose. You wait 2 hours and then they take another blood test. In my opinion, this is the best way of diagnosing diabetes. Two elevated fasting blood tests can diagnose it for some people. An HbA1c can diagnose it for some people. However, I am perfectly capable of having HbA1c in the 'normal' range and having near-normal fasting levels - but I am still diabetic as my body does not produce enough insulin (or any?) after I eat, so my BG can very quickly rise into the 20s - they can also fall back into the 4s over a period of a few hours, so at fasting tests I can look like I'm not diabetic. Random tests can be, well, random :lol: It depends what I ate and when in relation to the blood test - if I'd had a glass of orange juice within the last few hours I'd be in double-figures, if I'd just had a cup of tea and nothing else, I'd probably be in the 4s or 5s.

Go back to your doctor, explain your concerns and ask for a GTT.

Let us know how you get on.

Smidge

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Anwen2011 said:
The first time I checked it was 8.9 straight after drinking coke.

That's pretty much what I would expect with all the sugar in a Coke.

The next time I checked I had my tea, left it an hour, drank half of a bottle of Lucozade, waited another hour and tested. It came back as 14.9.... :(
So you ate some food, that would normally elevate your Bg levels, it also depends what the level was before your food ? You waited an hour and then topped up with half a bottle of Lucozade, what quantity was that then ? 500 mil ? That contains 17.2g per 100 mil a total carb intake of 86g of carbs. So, in theory you could have consumed something like 100g or more of carbs which converts to Glucose in your blood........that's a pretty big hit and I wouldn't have been surprised if your Bg level had gone even higher. Pretty much a normal reaction, even in a non Diabetic. If you had checked your level at the 2 hr stage AFTER drinking the Lucozade.....that would have told you more. Topping your Bg levels up in the interim tells you nothing.

What should my next step be? Should I try a fasting Lucozade test or just take those results to my doctor? Thanks for any help guys.

As the others have said, if you are concerned then you should discuss it with your GP and get proper tests done. Accurate tests, not hit or miss as here.......

Anwen2011

Just to clarify guys I will be checking with my GP. I wanted to do my home-test so I had something to go back to him with and I'm not expecting you guys to diagnose me, I was just worried about the high number when I checked that's all, I only came here for advice, not a diagnosis.

I just thought I'd let you all know, since many of you are saying I need to go to the doctors. I will. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Levy said:
How about a Hba1C test perhaps? If you tend to have higher bloodsugars your average will be higher than a normal person's as well. Maybe something you could discuss with your doctor?

Sure I read that the UK are going to follow the Americans and use the Hba1c test in diagnosing diabetes.

Nigel

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
noblehead said:
Levy said:

Sure I read that the UK are going to follow the Americans and use the Hba1c test in diagnosing diabetes.

Nigel

Pretty sure they already do Nigel, as it was the only test I had, mind it was 12.9% so not too much doubt there :lol: