Help needed please

pinkjude

I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2018. I was told to try diet and exercise for 3 months and when retested levels had dropped so allowed to carry on and dropped to 6 monthly tests then 12 monthly. Advised not to test own BS but to lose weight for my cholesterol.
November 2020 was told my levels had gone up to 54 but could be stress and come back in 12 months although possible I would be recalled in 6.
Now I have had thrush, am losing weight and have sweet smelling wee so I rang the DR who said BS levels could be too high I need retesting.
I am booked in for it next Monday so have a week. I can however go to the hospital sooner.
Do I go sooner or wait the week? If I wait is there anything I can do to potentially lower my BS in the meantime?
I am worried about going on medication.
Also is it okay to eat a small portion of carbs daily? at the moment I havnt and my husband thinks thats unhealthy

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did your doc give you any idea of what symptoms to look for, in order to decide when/if to go to hospital?
They really should have.

Here is some published info on what to look for to trigger a trip to A&E
(taken from https://www.sja.org.uk/get-advice/first-aid-advice/diabetic-emergencies/diabetic-emergency/ )

Hyperglycaemia
This is where the blood sugar level is higher than normal. It may be caused by a person with diabetes who has not had the correct dose of medication. They may have eaten too much sugary or starchy food or, they may be unwell with an infection.

Signs and symptoms
Look for:

• warm, dry skin
  • rapid pulse and breathing
  • fruity, sweet breath
  • excessive thirst
  • drowsiness, leading them to become unresponsive if not treated (also known as a diabetic coma)
  • medical warning jewellery or medication.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would buy a glucose meter as soon as you can to check that your sugar levels aren't really high. Anything in the 20s or above needs urgent attention. Yes, keeping the carbs down is the right thing to do but as you say you already doing that. Eat a good measure of proteins and fats. Your wife needn't be concerned about not having any carbs as the body will burn fats if needed. The sweet smell (ketones)implies the body is already doing that (ketosis) which is OK without high BS but both together can be very dangerous (ketoacidosis). You may want to buy some Ketostix or similar brand from the chemist to check ketone level. There is a small possibility you are moving to T1 (LADA) but the GP can do two tests for that if needed when you do see him/her. If you feel unwell or have more concerns do get to A&E. Drink plenty of water.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I believe many Chemists do offer BG spot tests (basically the same as you would do for yourself if you invest in a meter). See if a local chemist can offer you a test - ideally in the morning before breakfast, or else at least two hours post any meal/snack.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @pinkjude, I really think the first thing you need to do is to get your glucose levels tested asap, if they are high and you have ketones then this could be/turn into DKA especially given that you have also lost weight. None of us can hazard a guess as to what is going on with you right now but my opinion is that waiting another week or more is not a good thing without knowing your levels. You say you are not eating carbs 'at the moment' but how long has this been for?, there is a difference in having ketones BECAUSE of a low carb diet or ketones because of high glucose levels. Don't rely on how you are feeling either, I felt absolutely fine when a last minute ketone check by my GP (after I had gone to see her for symptoms like yours) had her shouting for an ambulance. Straight into hospital on the verge of DKA and feeling fine ALL the way through it. x

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to agree. Losing weight if you are not trying to do so may be an indication that your body is no longer producing enough insulin. You need to get your glucose level checked asap.

Duncan_Scott

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @pinkjude, I really think the first thing you need to do is to get your glucose levels tested asap, if they are high and you have ketones then this could be/turn into DKA especially given that you have also lost weight. None of us can hazard a guess as to what is going on with you right now but my opinion is that waiting another week or more is not a good thing without knowing your levels. You say you are not eating carbs 'at the moment' but how long has this been for?, there is a difference in having ketones BECAUSE of a low carb diet or ketones because of high glucose levels. Don't rely on how you are feeling either, I felt absolutely fine when a last minute ketone check by my GP (after I had gone to see her for symptoms like yours) had her shouting for an ambulance. Straight into hospital on the verge of DKA and feeling fine ALL the way through it. x
Its a tricky one, I had really good blood sugar control when I was on a low carb diet 50g-75g per day and unbeknown to me ketones shot up which turned into DKA and I ended up in hospital. This was recent for me after being 14 years of being diagnosed as type 2 ...Im still trying to come to terms with it and to understand how this could happen...Hospital consultants are currently undecided if I'm type 2.