1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

help!!! new member

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by fairyprincess, Dec 14, 2008.

1. fairyprincess

fairyprincess · Newbie

Hi all, i am new to the site and looking for some advice, i am wondering if there is a possibility i may have diabetes, as both heels of my feet itch really, really badly and so do my palms on my hands but my feet are the worse sometimes very bad. recently though i have started to get numb fingers on both hands throughoput the day but always when i wake up in the morning. I don't appear to have any of the other symptoms but would love some advice please, thanks for reading, Donna :O)

2. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

There sre lots of things could be causing the itching, including the weather, but it's not a typical early symptom for diabetes. If you are worried, go see the doctor

3. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

Hi Donna ,welcome to the forum.best advice is to go and see your doctor and get checked out.Although what you describe could be attributed to diabetes it could also be a lot of other things.For instance,if you were to be overweight then lying in bed at night can put pressure on the nerves of your shoulders/arms causing numbness in hands.there are so many variables that you really need to talk to your doctor about this.

4. Trinkwasser

Trinkwasser · Well-Known Member

It'a plausible this could be early neuropathy but equally plausible that it's circulation problems, fungal infection or a gazillion other things.

See if you can get a Glucose Tolerance Test, or failing that buy a glucometer and do this for a while

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

see what happens to your BG numbers especially after eating and if they are correlated at all to the symptoms.

Many chemists/pharmacies will do an on the spot glucose test, try and eat something really carby about an hour beforehand, and get your blood pressure checked while you're there.

That may give you some information to take to your doctor.

Also a podiatrist may be useful, they will check your peripheral pulses/circulation and do some tests with a fine filament and a tuning fork on your feet to see what you can feel and where.

5. fairyprincess

fairyprincess · Newbie

thanks so much to everyone, yes i agree these symptoms could be caused by other things but i am not over weight so lying on my hands is not the reason for the numbness, i forgot to say i also need the toilet quite alot and seem to be eating loads, but i will go take a test and let you all know, merry xmas to you all xxxx

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook