1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Help please! Advice needed

Discussion in 'Gestational Diabetes' started by Expat24, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Expat24

Expat24 · Newbie

Hi, hope everyone is keeping safe.

I recently failed my 1 hour screening for gestational diabetes, and it's fair to say I got little upset. My husband uses a glucose meter, so I've been proactively measuring myself to try put my mind at rest (if I have it or not, I want to do the right thing).

My problem is my fasting level is too high, but all my other scores seem to be ok. So I'm confused and it's been causing mood problems as I can't stop thinking about it. I'm measuring in the morning, 1 hour after breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm only on day 3 but my fasting number was high and freaked me out a bit!

Can someone with a bit more experience please give me some advice?

Day 1:
    Fasting -109.
    After breakfast - 119
    After lunch - 108
    After dinner - 103

Day 2:
    Fasting - 99
    After breakfast - 105
    After lunch - 104
    After dinner - 95

Day 3:
    Fasting- 105

2. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

It's possible you have a touch of DP or dawn phenomenon. Those are not high numbers , barely over what "normal people average. Your other numbers look good to me!

But DP is a release of hormones before you awaken for the day. This usually occurs about 5 in the morning. It just happens to some people and if you are normal your numbers should return to normal pretty quick . You can test that by waking up at say 4:30 am and doing a blood test to see if your numbers are "normal".

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Expat24

Expat24 · Newbie

Thank you for your quick reply!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mareebah99

Mareebah99 · Member

Your numbers are like mine!!! Well I have a controlled diet of course but my fasting level is always over 100. I don’t understand why the dr’s get so concerned bc our bodies are different especially in the early hours w hormones. And even alittle over 100 isn’t bad. I can understand if it’s over like 125.

Don’t worry bc stress will make yoour levels worse.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook