Help please I can’t keep my levels stable

Martine111

Please could someone help me I’ve been type 1 for 15 years an can’t stable my levels for long for example I’m on a low fat diet an after food my levels could be 7.4 but then within 10 mins I’ll drop like 10 units
Please could someone assist me to maintaining stable prolonged levels plz

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. First don't have a low-fat diet. You need fats to help you feel full and to smooth carb absorption which will help smooth BS peaks. Also fats don't make you fat but carbs do. Are you on the Basal/Bolus insulin regime? It sounds like you may need to adjust the timing of your Bolus injection before meals. What insulins do you use? I assume your Basal has been balanced and that you carb-count for meals with the Bolus.

Reactions: EllieM

TypeZero.

Please could someone help me I’ve been type 1 for 15 years an can’t stable my levels for long for example I’m on a low fat diet an after food my levels could be 7.4 but then within 10 mins I’ll drop like 10 units
Please could someone assist me to maintaining stable prolonged levels plz

An important thing to consider is... do you do any sort of physical activity after injecting? No matter how small it is. I found that even if I was quite high around 10.7 mmol/L I would drop to 3.3 mmol/L within 10-15 minutes if I walked to the shops or played with my niece. Physical activity is a big cause of hypos for me, I could eat plain sugar, inject insulin into my leg and walk around for 20-30 minutes and I wouldn’t even have a blood sugar spike.

Basal maybe be too high, but you can check this by going carb-free for 1-2 days and having only your basal insulin to see if it is enough.

Your insulin-to-carb ratios may have changed so every time when you thought you were injecting enough bolus to cover the meal you were actually giving too much.

Your basal may be low and you may be over-correcting slight highs with too much bolus.

Your daily energy requirement stay the same regardless of what diet you do. I suspect that when you went on this low fat diet you probably increased percentage of carbs and protein and as a result it became more unstable.

There is no purpose of a low fat diet unless it is specifically prescribed by a doctor. If you want to lose weight then remember it’s the total calories/energy that matters. Having a CGM could allow you to spot any recurring patterns. For example maybe you always drop low during evening meals so you would have to change your ratio