Help Please, Need Advice

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
update on pc, think its ok now,
been mooching around on here, for a few days, trying to read as much as i can,
i am quete bemused with it all, the info, for instance about monitering, were i,m at , at the mo, is wondering if i should be doing tests, i did buy a monitor , with 10 test strips, not sure how many tests to do, if any, per day, for instance, not done any, as yet, and lowcarbing, does it apply in my case, as i,m not overweight, i,m 5ft 7",... in fact i have lost weight , was 11st-4lb at dx, i am now 10st -6lb, think i,m proberly, not eating things , that maybe i could,
as i said before was dx on 15th May,with type 2, had one other app with nurse, last one on 22nd may , one with a spoke person for the dietacion, it was a group session ,
everyone there had a monitor, i was told i didnt need one, by the nurse,

I was getting upset, so made app to see doc, last week, he, too seems to say i dont need one, told doc, didnt feel anything was happening, had no control , over what was happening to me, and that i wanted to monitor my levels, got upset in surgery, he sent me for another blood test, to check my haemoglobin , not had results yet, and said , to see nurse, next app is on 13th aug, with nurse, is it early days yet, am i worriyng unnescarsarly, my oh isnt being very supportive either, with meal times etc , he cant cope with it, wont read any of info about diabetes,
i went for the echocardigraph yesterday, another one, went on 3rd july , for one, wasnt injected on that occastion, just had a scan,
should get results on wed 6th, for that,

not sure , if this is right place to post,
so sorry if it isnt,
would appreciate some feedback, thanks in advance,
is there any lowcarb thread i should be reading ,
and if so, please where can i find it

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Type 2s are meant to be given home monitoring, whilst they are learning what to do. look up your localPCT's policy and take it to your doctor. Type 2s are not being given monitoring nowadays to save money. It sounds like you are being left in the lurch. doctors and DSNurses don't usually like low carb diets, so you won't get much help there. i would suggest you get THE book
Dr. Bernstein's complete diabetes solution.
It's quite expensive, so try your library.
Be assertive and firmly, but politely tell your doctor you need help.

ChocFish

Hi Jeenie
I am sorry you are being given the run around, so typical of a lot of surgeries, you can buy your own meter, they are only about £10-£15, and you should get test strips on prescription, but you probably have to insist and demand that they are prescribed, just tell your doctor that this is YOUR body and that you want to watch what is going on, and learn how the different foods you eat affect your bg and without testing you just wont find out. Just be really firm with your doctor, tell him/her you want to work with him/her as a team to control this diabetes.

As for what you can eat, everyone is different, some people swear by having porridge for breakfast and their bg stays pretty good on it, others go high, some people just want to carry on eating as before and just try to achieve control with lots of medication or insulin and thats fine too, and some people want to go low carb and not take so many meds, so this is where it gets a bit confusing, and you have to decide what you personally want to go for.
I rebelled against my diabetes diagnosis and made a point of stuffing myself with all the wrong food, custard slices and doughnuts and I dont know how many boxes of cadbury's roses and that kind of thing, horrific even for a non-diabetic, I was forced to take drastic action and was put on a special diet in a clinic, I didnt even know that this diet was actually LOW CARB, nobody called it that and there was nothing in the news about low carb anywhere, it was just reducing bread, pasta, potatoes and rice, the only bread I was allowed to eat was sourdough rye bread and not too much of it either. But it brought down by bg from 20s to below 10, this was the recommended bg level in those days.
I continued with this diet, cutting out all additives/chemicals and cooking everything from scratch, a kind of mediterranean/stone age combination thing really, again very low carb though, filling up on vegetables, I didnt understand carbohydrate and all this really, never thought of it, but my bg fell further and then much later I did Atkins but only for a couple of week, it made me ill, low GI worked better but really I have been doing low carb for years without realising it.
Now I just do what I want, I have learnt about carbohydrates and I am stable on around 130-150g and I am not on medication anymore, I suggest you look at the arguments in this forum viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2213 and decide what you want to do, and if you have questions just ask away, there are very clever people in here to help you along whether you go low/high or in between carb.
And read the Diabetes Solution by Dr Bernstein too, its an eye opener, I have always been worried about my kidneys though, so when I cut out carbs I didnt really increase my protein intake too much, instead I filled up on loads and loads of vegetables. You also might want to consider using cinnamon and fenugreek, and last but not least, cut out transfats as much as you can.

All the best to you

Karen

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, hanadr, and Karen , for your feedback, i will, talk to the nurse,/ doc , will look out for the book/s mentioned, and thanks for the link, have b/marked it
regards jean