Kidney and back pain

amin13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m T2 for a year and a week and I’m now having severe lower back pains and left side lower pains as well, could that be kidney failure..?

Someone please give me more light
And yes my sugars range from 4.3 to 7.8

• Hug
Reactions: JoKalsbeek

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome. We can't diagnose on the forums - none of us are capable of doing that.

But here's my experience. When my BGs started to go out of normal range (HbA1c of around 43 or 44) this was accompanied by a number of other symptoms. One of them was pain in the kidney area - an acute ache rather than a stabbing pain, more like the aftermath of a kidney punch. I also stopped peeing almost completely (I'm one of those T2s who doesn't get the frequent urination problem).

I had the pain off and on for about nine or ten years. Once I went low carb and got my BGs back to normal levels the kidney pain (and the infrequent urination) vanished and hasn't returned.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the forum @amin13 If you're pain is severe it would be best to ring 111 for advice or go to A&E, as it could be caused by a number of things, and only they can tell you what it is.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’ve just started dialysis after years of poor kidney function following scepsis , as a matter of interest in I never suffered any back or kidney area pain and I still don’t , to be honest I just listened to the renal dept and my blood test , as far as I’m aware the renal bloods taken were the most important and the information and treat I got and am having is excellent

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m T2 for a year and a week and I’m now having severe lower back pains and left side lower pains as well, could that be kidney failure..?

Someone please give me more light
And yes my sugars range from 4.3 to 7.8
Doesn't have to be kidney failure, could be a kidney stone though. Could be a lot of things, but... Yeah... Maybe get in touch with 111 or the GP. Sooner rather than later?

I've been passing stones for a long time now, and some come through easier than others. You might be well served with medication for either pain or making passing a potential stone easier. And if it's not a stone, which is very much an option too, you need to know what's going on. Could be an infection or whatever. Loads can happen in a kidney that's sorted right-quick with antibiotics or something, but does need attention to prevent things going from bad to worse. So don't rely on a forum to diagnose you, as we're not allowed to do anything of the sort, and with good reason. Get help from people who can actually get you sorted with a scan, tests and/or medication.

Best of luck!
Jo

mouseee

It's easy to jump to diabetes as a cause for everything. Could just be a severe UTI, could be a kidney infection or stones but the only way to find out is the GP and if it's really severe pain right now, ring 111.
Having passed stones in the past I was in so much pain I literally couldn't sit still so I hope it's something a course of antibiotics will sort!

Reactions: jjraak