Help please - weight loss ground to a halt.....

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed Type 2 on June 8th last year and came straight home from GP in a state of shock and found this forum - the best move ever!!!!:)
I've been on a low carb regime since then and over the first 12 months I lost 23 kilos, and went down from size 28 to 18/16 and my HbA1c is down from 83 to 42. So that's really positive.
But since then, over the past 4 months, the weight loss has stopped and I'm hungry most of the time and I'm starting to feel depressed and not sleeping well. Whatever I do the weight just won't shift..... I'm 63 years old, 5ft 1' and weigh 12 stone - so I do need to lose more weight. How can I 'kick start' weight loss again?..... any ideas gratefully received. Thank you

Reactions: zand

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
You could try adding in more fat to your diet. Have a creamy coffee or two! I wish I knew more about the LCHF diet so I could answer you more appropriately :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah yes, my body did the same.
I effortlessly lost weight on very low carb, then everything halted.

Well done on that HbA1c! great achievement!

Can I ask what you are calling Low Carb? How many g carbs a day?
It can vary from 20g to 130 g a day, and still be called low carb.
The reason I ask is that most people find that their hunger fades away when they drop their carbs low enough, and then they add in extra fat (which will stop the hunger and won't put on weight if the carbs are low enough)

I certainly wouldn't suggest that you add more fat onto your current diet unless you drop more carbs.

Don't despair. You still have quite a few options.
You can
- get more active
- eat fewer carbs
- do intermittent fasting (https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/?s=intermittent+fasting )
- drop your protein intake a bit and replace it with fat

And I am sure that people will be along suggesting that you go hardcore with the calorie counting too - either NEwcastle Diet or the Michael Mosely 800 cal bloodsugar diet.

Hope that helps. :)

Hotpepper20000

First of all great work on bringing your numbers down!!i know it's hard to enjoy your accomplishments when you feel you haven't reached your end goal yet!!!
Maybe you do need to make sure there are not any other health concerns such as thyroid or vitamin deficiency.
Once you know that's ok then you can move on to find answers.
So for me I had the same frustrations.
I lowered my carbs. And stayed away from all grains. No rice, quinoa, wheat, and such. For some people stopping dairy is helpful.
Then what bumped me to continue weight loss was intermittent fasting. There are many ways to do those and many threads on the forum about it.
Remember weight loss is up and down. Most people plateau for a bit maybe even gain a pound.
don't give up. You've already come along way.

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks SO much for replies - I'm wary of too much coffee as this article shows: https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/3-upsetting-ways-coffee-impacts-your-diabetes-313718 and don't like cream very much. I'm cautious about too much fat as my Cholesterol is 4.7 which has gone up slightly over the year and GP is threatening statins.

This is what I'm eating: low fat cheese , chicken and fish and an occasional egg.Tons of stir fry and green veg including avocado. Discovered 'courgetti' -so easy to make and I eat red meat once a week (if that) I enjoy almonds and walnuts, pumpkin & sunflower seeds and flax seeds, natural bio yogurt, berries, apples, kiwis, satsumas and pears. I found I can have 20g of gluten free oats or oat bran without affecting BG levels. I do have a sweet tooth and have a square of Lindt 85% chocolate 2 or 3 times a week. Also have 20 -30 mls cider vinegar in sparkling water before eating lunch and supper
For a treat (occasionally) I love profiteroles (gluten free from Tesco) (25 carbs per portion) or a Kit-kat 2 finger @13 carbs. I'm trying not to see it as a restrictive 'diet' more as a lifestyle change.

Can I ask what you are calling Low Carb? How many g carbs a day?
It can vary from 20g to 130 g a day, and still be called low carb.
The reason I ask is that most people find that their hunger fades away when they drop their carbs low enough, and then they add in extra fat (which will stop the hunger and won't put on weight if the carbs are low enough)

Thanks for encouragement re HbA1c - hope it's still low in December when I have next check....I try to limit carb intake to no more than 60g per day - some days it might be up to 100g. I have a great book Carbs and Cals and use that a lot. I never eat potato, cereal, rice or pasta. Just started on high protein rolls from Liddl for lunch -topped with cheese or Philadelphia cheese and avocado or smoked salmon (when I can get it on offer)

I've tried intermittent fasting a few times-but got so hungry and felt faint. The answer could be more exercise and I confess I haven't been cycling or walking as much as last year... Perhaps I should stop weighing myself daily as the frequent disappointment is affecting my will-power!!

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
What marvellous numbers and stupendous weight loss.

Maybe your body just wants to catch it's breath before plunging lower ? Don't be disheartened you have come so far and I'm sure that someone knowledgeable will be along in a minute to advise you.

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First of all great work on bringing your numbers down!!i know it's hard to enjoy your accomplishments when you feel you haven't reached your end goal yet!!!
Maybe you do need to make sure there are not any other health concerns such as thyroid or vitamin deficiency.
Once you know that's ok then you can move on to find answers..

Thanks for the encouragement - yes, I was v low in Vitamin D on T2 diagnosis, so am on 1.000 IU and have levels checked alongside BG levels every 6 months. Have also had thyroid checked and all other 'function tests!! Last week, I had 250mls drained from a kidney cyst -and thought' brilliant' a quick way to lose half a pound -especially as it was under GA and I didn't eat for 24 hours. But the next day, I'd actually gone up by half a pound...:( My scales weigh in 1/8th pounds -that can be encouraging or discouraging!!! But at least I'm staying roughly around the same weight - though it was SO amazing to be 11 stone 13 and a half pounds for a week or so in August.... what is it about stone barriers...?

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
smoked salmon (when I can get it on offer)
Waitrose have smoked salmon on offer at the moment. NB Other supermarkets are available!

Hotpepper20000

Thanks for the encouragement - yes, I was v low in Vitamin D on T2 diagnosis, so am on 1.000 IU and have levels checked alongside BG levels every 6 months. Have also had thyroid checked and all other 'function tests!! Last week, I had 250mls drained from a kidney cyst -and thought' brilliant' a quick way to lose half a pound -especially as it was under GA and I didn't eat for 24 hours. But the next day, I'd actually gone up by half a pound...:( My scales weigh in 1/8th pounds -that can be encouraging or discouraging!!! But at least I'm staying roughly around the same weight - though it was SO amazing to be 11 stone 13 and a half pounds for a week or so in August.... what is it about stone barriers...?
You have been under a lot of stress. That can explain the slowdown. It's not as simple as calories in vs out.
We don't use the stone measurement here in Canada but I know what you mean.
I've been trying to get below the 230 pound mark for a month. I could officially say I lost 50 pounds then.
This morning I was 230.2. REALLY?? Some how saying I lost 49.8 pounds just doesn't sound the same.

Reactions: Serena51

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ou have been under a lot of stress. That can explain the slowdown. It's not as simple as calories in vs out.

Yes- and I think stress also affects us in other ways too :( Last week, when they tested my BG in hospital 3 hours after the op (no food since 11.00pm the night before) it was 11.4 - how crazy was that.....? as normally I'm in the 4 - 6 range all the time now!!!
I like to think I've lost the equivalent weight of a suitcase - 23K+ so when I go on holiday I can feel pleased with myself. I'm feeling more optimistic as well thanks to you lovely people on the forum and I hope that others will share their ideas / and experiences too.

Hotpepper20000

Yes- and I think stress also affects us in other ways too :( Last week, when they tested my BG in hospital 3 hours after the op (no food since 11.00pm the night before) it was 11.4 - how crazy was that.....? as normally I'm in the 4 - 6 range all the time now!!!
I like to think I've lost the equivalent weight of a suitcase - 23K+ so when I go on holiday I can feel pleased with myself. I'm feeling more optimistic as well thanks to you lovely people on the forum and I hope that others will share their ideas / and experiences too.
I know when I'm stressed my BG goes up. Its very frustrating isn't?
Wow a suitcase worth of weight. That really puts it perspective doesn't?
I notice that I've lost a lot of weight around my middle. Love it!!!
I firmly believe this forum and all the very helpful people here have saved my life. I have finally found a solution to improve my Heath.
Not everyone agrees here but Its good because it gives a person options that you would never think of.

Reactions: Serena51