help please with 4 year old who may have symptoms

christia22

Type of diabetes
Carer
Hi, my 4 year old has been having major tummy aches for a week now. He has also had majorly increased appetite to the point where he will eat breakfast, have another breakfast and then say he's hungry half an hour later. Also he's waking in the night saying he's hungry and also after dinner etc, despite having eaten well all day. He has been having the tummy aches for a week on and off throughout the day and night and says he's hungry and feels sick and yet last night I researched it and thought maybe it may be a hypo or hyper?! My sister has just been diagnosed aged 34 type 1 diabetes and I thought maybe he had some of the symptoms. He gets stressed easily and tired easily recently and with the tummy aches and extreme hunger I went to the hospital a&e. They examined his stomach and ears , but said they didn't do blood tests for kids and also he would be more ill than this. Can anyone help with some advice please?

Reactions: 2 people

christia22

Type of diabetes
Carer
He has been eating the same foods, I haven't introduced anything new. But I will look into this allergy theory .many thanks.! I was just surprised that the hospital wouldn't test him for diabetes. They said they don't take bloods from kids.!

christia22

Type of diabetes
Carer
Thanks .I'll see how he goes over the weekend and will give it a try. If he gets any worse I'll go back to a@e

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
one of the biggest symptoms of diabetes is frequent urination ( i am talking every 15 - 20 minutes) plus excessive thirst - drinking loads and loads
sudden weight loss is also part of the pattern
has your son had a bad infection recently ? ( often a pre-cursor of developing type 1 over a 2-4 month period following the infection )

hope this helps

hope your son is well and not getting D :)

christia22

Type of diabetes
Carer
He isn't going toilet that frequently! Its just the food that he is constantly saying he is hungry. my sister was really bad with frequent urination when she was diagnosed. She was seriously in the toilet every five- ten mins and drinking as often. It was that bad and her doctor tested her and rushed her straight to the hospital. Thanks for all your replies and help.
I didn't know how long it took for the diabetes to develop. I think my sister's got progressively worse over a month. I thought kids might have had a few different symptoms. Thanks again and I will keep an eye on him.

kallylondon

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snakes
Im not a doctor but my advise is that you take him to your general physician and request that they do a blood work on him . Explain what his symptoms are and what your concerns are. If you honestly believe something is wrong with your son then do not take no for an answer. I have learned the hard way that your health and your family's health is not something to play with.

christia22

Type of diabetes
Carer
Thanks. I think you're right. Its nice to know I'm not completely neurotic ! I think sometimes the doctors can brush you off and it can escalate to a dangerous level. Or other times, it is just being an over precautious mum, but better to be safe than sorry. Thanks for all your advice.

Janspice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You are not being over precautious you are obviously a good mum who wants the best for her child. Kallylondon has give great advice. But don't be fobbed off make sure you GP tests his blood and take urine sample with you to the appointment. I was told I was being neurotic when my daughter was ill, TOTALY different symptoms to you son she was diagnosed with a serious condition the doctor we had been seeing was struck off! So push hard until you get the result you and your son need. Take care of yourself as well as your son.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thanks. I think you're right. Its nice to know I'm not completely neurotic ! I think sometimes the doctors can brush you off and it can escalate to a dangerous level. Or other times, it is just being an over precautious mum, but better to be safe than sorry. Thanks for all your advice.

Hi, I am sorry to hear of your child being poorly. My granddaughter was diagnosed type 1 at 2 1/2 years old. She was grumpy, sleepy, irritable too, but we thought it could just be the terrible two's. Her mum took her to our GP and voiced her concerns, GP said to get a urine sample, but the nappies proved a problem. to cut a long story short, after a misdiagnosis at a&e by a doctor ( viral ) she was rushed to hospital during the night and in HDU.
Children can go downhill very suddenly when they are poorly and not all have the same symptoms or the same degree of severity with a medical condition. It could be something completely different. I hope you get a proper diagnosis soon and wishing you and your son all the very best as it can be such an anxious and worrying time.
Best wishes RRB

Edited to add link and also, increased hunger could be one of symptoms of diabetes.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/signs-and-symptoms-of-type-1-diabetes-in-children.81808/

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @christia22

First off.. Take him to the GP.

My syptoms as a child. (You don't forget this. Lol) the dehydration & unqenchable thirst, coupled with the constant "toilet breaks".
Tired all the time, sudden & drastic weight loss. I also went off food. It was difficult for my mum to get me to eat much...

Good luck to the little guy!

christia22

Type of diabetes
Carer
Thanks to everyone for all your brilliant and very informative replies. I will be taking my little one back to the gp Monday and ask them to test him for diabetes. His main symptoms being stomach pains,irritably, extreme hunger and tiredness. If he gets suddenly worse before then, I will take him to a&e, although they seemed unhelpful yesterday with me. Thankyou again

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thanks to everyone for all your brilliant and very informative replies. I will be taking my little one back to the gp Monday and ask them to test him for diabetes. His main symptoms being stomach pains,irritably, extreme hunger and tiredness. If he gets suddenly worse before then, I will take him to a&e, although they seemed unhelpful yesterday with me. Thankyou again

Hi Christa22, did you get to see your GP and any updated news ?

christia22

Type of diabetes
Carer
Hi. Thanks for asking. I have seen the surgery nurse who was really lovely and said he looked very pale. She agreed that he needed to see the doctor. I have booked him an appointment with a more sympathetic and thorough gp, but she is in high demand and this is not until next week Tuesday.! He seems to alternate between overeating with an appetite that is not filled, and at the moment is not eating really, just picking here and there. I have took the advice of another member and done urine glucose and ketone tests this morning, and they were normal.? So I am a bit puzzled. Maybe he just has some virus. But he still has the same symptoms and last night waking feeling extremely hot and feverish but saying he was cold and hungry, but then he didn't want to eat. It was very strange. I'm not sure whether to test the urine again at a certain time after or before eating . Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks

christia22

Type of diabetes
Carer
Hi. Just another quick update. my son just wet my bed. He never does this. He was as shocked as me. I rung my gp and asked if there were any cancellations and they are gonna see him this afternoon. I will speak to this doctor about all my concerns and ask them to test for diabetes. Thanks to everyone for all their help and advice. It's been a great comfort to have this support.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Perhaps your little lad has a urine infection. Hope you find some answers this afternoon.

christia22

Type of diabetes
Carer
Thankyou. I hope so too.he has been crying saying his tummy and eyeballs hurt. Only a few more hours and hopefully he will get a proper check. Maybe it is just a bug.

christia22

Type of diabetes
Carer
Hi I tested my son again before the doctors appointment . His urine tests showed ketones but no glucose.! Is this even possible.?
I started to think the doctor will definitely think I'm one crazy mom so I didn't tell her that I was testing his urine as she told me to do a urine sample on the way out. By then he had perked up again. His tummy wasn't hurting, his dad had given him some chocolate and his eyeballs had stopped hurting. The Calpol had kicked in too. I have to ring tomorrow morning for the results.

christia22

Type of diabetes
Carer
The doctor did say that his urine result from last week was for a urine infection and that was clear. Its a mystery.

Janspice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It could be a food intolerance or any manner of complaints, IBS etc. In any event for a little one who cannot yet describe his symptoms and is worrying you so much he needs to be checked out and my opinion is a blood test it can tell them so much. Do not be afraid of being labelled a neurotic mother apparently we all are when our children are young! Huh! When I was told I was being neurotic or words to that effect I told the doctor that to cure me would be a blood test for my daughter. If it is a virus fantastic, you are a good mum looking out for her child which is what you are supposed to do. You know your son better than anyone you made him. If you are worried don't be fobbed off. Please keep us posted. Take care of yourself it so easy to forget your own wellbeing when you are worried about a loved one.

christia22

Type of diabetes
Carer
Thanks janspice for your lovely post. Apparently the surgery have sent the urine to the hospital again instead of dip testing it themselves.! I was told to ring back tomorrow again. My partner and myself have both noticed that he always perks up after eating and so today we have let him lead us. He had orange juice grapes and crunchy nut cereal for breakfast ( but only ate a bit of the cereal but drained the milk and had a refill in his cereal bowl.. This has been followed by 2 strawberry peppa pig fromage frais yoghurts at lunchtime and pasta at dinner time, lots of juices etc and a choc pudding after. I have tested his urine myself and it's been ok today.