HELP PLEASE

Ange1a65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry if I waffle but nervous.
Was diagnosed type 2,
4 months ago put on metformin and managed to get levels from 11.7 to 7.00 so nurse said I no longer needed med as I managed on diet.
This was 6 weeks ago.
Today I have shakes, sweating and bit blurred vision, but as my nurse did not give me a test meter I am unsure if I have gone low or high.
I am on holiday and nearest late chemist is 30 miles away so can't get a machine. I have done a lot of walking today which I would not normally do.
Sorry, I just don't know what to do.......please advise and can you also recommend a machine I can buy myself.
Thanks in advance

redtree92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry if I waffle but nervous.
Was diagnosed type 2,
4 months ago put on metformin and managed to get levels from 11.7 to 7.00 so nurse said I no longer needed med as I managed on diet.
This was 6 weeks ago.
Today I have shakes, sweating and bit blurred vision, but as my nurse did not give me a test meter I am unsure if I have gone low or high.
I am on holiday and nearest late chemist is 30 miles away so can't get a machine. I have done a lot of walking today which I would not normally do.
Sorry, I just don't know what to do.......please advise and can you also recommend a machine I can buy myself.
Thanks in advance

Hello,

I am type 1, but I may be able to help you,it sounds like a hypo (low blood glocose) to me, but defiantly buy a metre, most chemists will see them, I would just ask for the simplest one they have.

Drink lots of water, but if you don't start to feel any better I would go to the emergency department, and have your levels tested sooner rather than later. You don't want to treat the wrong way!

I hope you feel better soon xxx

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
First of all relax, try to have a cuppa,
Sounds to me like a blood glucose drop which could be from a false hypo.
Please take some quick acting glucose to boost your glucose levels.
Have something to eat soon after.
Because of your diabetic blood glucose levels. Your drop develops this type of symptoms.
Ring your GP in the morning, so they can take your bloods.
If you can't settle, and are still feeling rough, phone for the paramedics.

Ange1a65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for replies. I have taken 2 glucose tabs and see how I go. If I don't feel better will go to a and e but will feel quilts about going. As I said typical when I am on holiday and no chemist near by and nearest a and e is about 15 miles away.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Your health is more important than worrying about feeling that way.
Hope you do feel better, but do follow it up tomorrow.

Ange1a65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will follow it up tomorrow as will buy a machine from chemist. But as I have not used one before do I just take my blood then test or is there a procedure to follow. Sorry for my ignorance .

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The meter will come with instructions.. when you get home chuck it away and buy an SD Codefree which has far cheaper strips and is much more economical in the long run. Or you could order one online so its waiting when you get home.. or even get it delivered to where you are. If you;re not taking any meds then it is most likely a false hypo. I get a odd feeling when I get to the high 3's maybe have some salt in some water and see if that helps at all. Made me feel better anyway.

Ange1a65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, but still confused as to what you mean by "high 3" as when I was diagnosed the nurse just said levels were 11.7 then recheck 3 maths and down to 7, that is as much info I got, trying to read up on it now to find out what levels mean what.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When my blood sugar reading was 3.8 mmol/l I had a slghtly odd feeling. If you are in the 7's then you should be fine although if you have been higher for longer then it could be an adjustment period while your body becomes used to lower blood sugar levels. Does that make it clearer?

Ange1a65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not really, as no idea what mmol/l. I feel so stupid. I will get checked tomorrow.

Ange1a65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was put on metformin sr but felt as I do now, so was taken off them (but I do have allergies to many other meds) so basically lived on veg, fish, chicken, porridge and an orange and lots of water. I was shocked when first diagnosed as I had no symptoms it was picked up in a blood test for a virus.

Ange1a65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's so overwhelming as it all just happened over the last 4 months.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Ange1a65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. Is there a good site to order the codex meter?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here they are

5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Put the codes in when you put the strips in your basket and the discount should happen when you get to the checkout.
You will probably use a lot of strips when you first start testing as you shoudl test before you start to eat and then 2 hours after the meal to see the effect of what you have eaten on your sugars. You can then start managing what you eat to reduce "spikes".
Your aim is really to keep your blood sugar levels as flat as possible best between the 4-6 mmol/l range. That's probably enough info for tonight so tomorrow when you have a spare hour sit down and scroll through the forums and the info on the home page on this site. You will soon know much more than your medical team about Type 2 diabetes so then you can start educating them!

Reactions: Serena51

Ange1a65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry another question. As I am ignorant the codex asks what meter I want and obviously not sure. Is the mg/dla the one that gives the range ie 7 ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you want the one that reads in mmol/L that's the UK measure.. assuming you are a UK person of course.

Ange1a65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I am in uk.
Seriously though, thank you very.much for your help .