Help re Christmas please :)

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Hubby been doing very well with LCMF, last hbA1c was 40. But he's starting to get very whiney about xmas, not being able to enjoy it etc. Could anybody point me to a site or a list of nice xmasssy recipes for low carbing diabetics? Thanks!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love pintrest for finding stuff - or if you put low carb Christmas recipes in google you'll get thousands of recipes. You can refine it a bit by looking for the kind of foods your hubby likes such as low carb trifle etc etc, also look through the low carb recipe thread on this very forum - oodles of beautiful tasty recipes - it can be a bit depressing at Christmas thinking you are missing out but really there is an abundance of things we can eat it's just a matter of getting our heads around it :)

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Attachments

• truffles.jpg
    truffles.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 352
Reactions: Tannedhaggis

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
If you look at some of the recipe threads they will give you good ideas, especially the main one on the low carb section of this forum.

Last year I kept my BG under good control last Christmas and will be doing exactly the same menu this year. We had a proper Christmas dinner (without spuds) and I made a baked low carb cheesecake for dessert which was more popular with my guests than the alternative Christmas pud. I made chocolate brandy truffles (and rum ones) and other low carb desserts and - of course - all the lovely cheeses and cold meats that are available this time of the year.

This thread from last Christmas might help: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/how-do-we-have-a-low-carb-christmas.85310/

Reactions: Tannedhaggis

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just reading through that old thread and found my menu for Christmas Day - I had a lot of good food and fun so will definitely do it again:

I've just worked out my basic Christmas Day menu and Asda shopping order:

Breakfast: Lidl protein roll split and lightly toasted, topped with cream cheese and smoked salmon. Champagne or Prosecco. Possibly a high meat content chipolata or two because we've got guests that day who might not like my breakfast - its up to them.
Lunch: Prosecco and maybe a touch of nice red. Maybe a few nuts to keep me going - selection of brazils, walnuts, pecans, hazlenuts and macadamias.
Christmas Dinner: Big plate of rib of beef served with a selection of veg - choice of brussel sprouts, maybe a roast baby parsnip roasted in goosefat, steamed brussel sprouts, a couple of little carrots (chantenay?) sauteed in butter, roasted cauli+broccoli+baby fennel, roasted whole garlic bulbs, runner beans, red wine gravy and (if I feel deprived) one Delia Smith recipe Yorkshire Pudding. (I have to cook these because husband, guests and dogs will feel deprived if I don't.) Red wine

Dessert (an hour or so after dinner): Home made low carb Baked New York style lemon cheesecake

Prosecco

More Prosecco

Nibbles: Brazil nuts dipped in good chocolate, home made fresh cream brandy or jack daniels or rum truffles (or all three), home made coffee and walnut fudge. I'm not the worlds greatest for making sweets 'n' sweet things but I'm going to have a go cos Christmas wouldn't be Christmas for me without some truffles.

Yet more Prosecco

Supper (if required) Home baked ham, loads and loads of different cheeses, pigs in blankets, cuke & celery to dip in to pate, . I am experimenting with a no added sugar cranberry sauce to go with the ham.

Even more Prosecco

Boxing Day:
Brunch: Eggs, Bacon, low carb chipolatas (no Prosecco for breakfast today :( )
Dinner: Roast garlic and herb chicken served very warm (not hot) with loads of salady stuff and ham and cheeses and pate
Supper: As Christmas Day.

I really don't feel that I will be missing out on anything. There will be other more carby stuff available for those that want it such as goosefat roast spuds, Christmas pud, mince pies, brandy butter, bread and a mountain of normal sweets - but from remembering how I felt last Christmas (and the one before that) I really don't think I'll have any because I never want to feel like that again.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Look on the chocolate paradise thread for low carb christmas treats.

Reactions: Chook

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
If you look at some of the recipe threads they will give you good ideas, especially the main one on the low carb section of this forum.

Last year I kept my BG under good control last Christmas and will be doing exactly the same menu this year. We had a proper Christmas dinner (without spuds) and I made a baked low carb cheesecake for dessert which was more popular with my guests than the alternative Christmas pud. I made chocolate brandy truffles (and rum ones) and other low carb desserts and - of course - all the lovely cheeses and cold meats that are available this time of the year.

This thread from last Christmas might help: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/how-do-we-have-a-low-carb-christmas.85310/
THANK YOU :)

Reactions: daisyduck

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ditchthecarbs.com
ibreatheimhungry.com
alldayidreamaboutfood.com
lowcarbmaven.com

And on it goes. Whatever his is fancying, just try googling "low carb whatever" and you'll be astonished what comes up.

I also like Yummly, which allows filtering on low carb, no sugar, no wheat, no rice, and so on. There are literally thousands and thousands of recipes on there. I just keep an eye on the ingredients as some, whilst no sugar, do contain maple syrup or honey or whatever.

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Off to look at them now, thanks xx Yummly looks good!

3buoys

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cold weather
Does anyone know what's happened to the Diabetes Recipes app it doesn't work any more and I used to rely on it for low carb meals???

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh, yes please!!

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Reactions: lovinglife

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Awesome my dad loves Christmas cake and he is pre D so I can make him this for Christmas

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Cheesecake is one of the easiest things to make low carb. There are tons of recipes online, just google low carb or keto cheesecake.

Tannedhaggis

Here you go.....
271c99a9c7c6ff5d9232b4f2cd98e700.jpg
1050605439eb859302a662bd3bb25b29.jpg
d889f424bc9ab98eaaa7f06fa0695a10.jpg
I have made this cake twice now and it is so easy and tastes great. I found it on ditchthecarbs.com I doubled the recipe the second time and made 2 bar loaves. I slice it then freeze and have it as afternoon tea. No reason why everyday can't be Christmas!