Help ! reading is now 13.5 before lunch !

yoda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glucose meter is heading for the bin ! along with metformin tabs ! ( I must have a duff batch )
I am at 13.5 reading on the monitor . just BEFORE Lunch ! Only had a tiny banana greenish for breakfast .
I am doing no different than before .But the metformin hasnt kicked in after a week .
I am 12 stone of muscle , eating what i should , doing all the right things ............
Dunnno what I can do more . I am very fed up. .......... This isnt good ! ;( anyone else had this situation ??

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Maybe you're not Type 2, maybe you are 1.5. Have you had the juice test?

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bananas are to be avoided! They are all sugar. That's why tennis players eat them between games to keep their energy levels up. Metformin takes a while to kick in, and isn't a miracle cure. It has very limited effect on BS levels. It just helps your liver and other things. Only by diet and exercise will you see those levels drop.

Reactions: 6 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I get an unexpected reading I test again, but wash my hands again first.

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your liver may be dumping glucose. Are you stressed about anything (including high bg level.). Have you got some underlying medical complaint, fever, bad teeth even, cold, allergy?

Don't worry you are not alone in this boat, I am also really struggling to get my levels back down again after a carb blowout this weekend (that won't be happening again.)

Give it a little time, it should come down, but will take a few, perhaps many hours.

It amazes me how even when I haven't eaten my bg can rocket, (also it can plummet just as fast.)

Remember you have a metabolic disease. You are not well, it wasn't your fault, but you are trying to do the best you can. It's just your body has different ideas sometimes. It's a complicated design.

ps metformin can take two-four weeks to kick in and you are usually started off on a low dose that might not yet be high enough. What dose are you on? Metformin works on the liver to try and stop it dumping glucose, not on bringing high levels down - gliclazide or insulin for that.

Refer to http://www.bloodsugar101.com/ for some details on meds.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
metformin takes 3 weeks to kick in and will help...diet [cut carbs] is the main control

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
A Banana for breakfast would probably give me the same numbers if not worse. you'd be better of with a fry up or greek full fat yog with a few berries or nuts. You'd probably feel a lot fuller too.

yoda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all !! I feel happier !! Frustrated as I was doing well on diet only for 3 years. Now my BG has gone crazy .... My second week on metformin 500mg hope I get the levels down. After lunch was 17.5 !! Interesting advice and comments . thank you !! Knowledge is power !!

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all !! I feel happier !! Frustrated as I was doing well on diet only for 3 years. Now my BG has gone crazy .... My second week on metformin 500mg hope I get the levels down. After lunch was 17.5 !! Interesting advice and comments . thank you !! Knowledge is power !!
I also found my bs rise sharply when I started the metformin, but the LCHF diet seemed to sort it out .. when I questioned the metformin with db nurse she ignored me .. but then she seemed to ignored everything I said anyway !

Reactions: 4 people

yoda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks that`s encouraging comments !! Maybe when I increase the dose next week it will start falling !! Thanks again !!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks that`s encouraging comments !! Maybe when I increase the dose next week it will start falling !! Thanks again !!

It will help, but please don't rely on it too much. Your diet is the most important factor in bringing the levels down.

Karen8

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I am having trouble controlling my blood sugars as I am on a blood pressure tablet too (started the blood pressure tablet approx 2 months ago) called Amlodipine. When I stopped taking it i noticed i could control my levels better. When I asked my GP he said no the tablet should not affect my levels, but i saw on the NHS webside that one of the rare side effects on Amlodipine is an increase in sugar levels. So my GP reluctantly changed my tablets to one called Lisinopril so i need to see if this one is any better.

I am type 2 and on Diagemet 500mg prolonged release.

Has any one else noticed blood pressure tablets interfere with their sugar levels?.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I'm on amlodipine amongst others, and haven't noticed any increase in BGs, but we are different and drugs (chemicals) affect in different ways.
See how,you get on with lisinopril.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@No1crew. Welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately you seem to have joined in a discussion that is over 5 and a half years old. You may not get a reply from the original posters on this thread.
As for the 15 you are referring to.
It’s actually 1.5 and refers to a type of diabetes. It’s where the onset of type 1 diabetes is very gradual and doesn’t require such intense and rapid treatment as type 1.