Help! recent v high sugars

RPNKW

Dear All

Can someone advise. I have had good to reasonable control until last autumn, partly due to lifestyle.

I have recently been rushed off my feet tryiong to do 2 jobs and did not use insulin for over a week. This is clearly my fault but in thr uk you would not believe the ammount of chemists who have one of your insulins but not the other meaning loads of chasing around.

Any way after I resumed my usual routine I checked my BM 1 hour asfter a meal with lots of rice and got 18 mmol. It went down but only to 11mmol. Lowest I got it last week was 7.8. 2 mornings ago reading was 10, this morning around 7.5. This is after me increasing lantus and novo rapid. I have had a chest bug and loads of stress recently (ie eveything going wrong at once at the wrong time). Now the dry mouth and blurred vision are back (Though ony moderate). No recent ketone warnings after the 18 reading.

I am seeing my GP about something else but any advice, would obviously like to avoid going near a hospital. Anything like this happenned to anyone else.Usual insulin is 30 lantus pre bed plus 6 and 6 and 10 in evenings.Too much alcohol in recent months as well

RPNKW

PS maybe a timely wake up call as I have sdtarted watching what I eat more again

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Hmmm ... I'm sure that you do not need anybody to remind you where you have been going wrong, but I wonder if anybody has told you that when your body is under stress from illness or external pressure, your system will call upon your liver for more glucose to be released into your blood supply.
I do not use insulin so I do not understand the suply chain, but living kinda out in the sticks, I do understand that apart from a few popular stock meds, anything else on a script has to be presented in our very small Boots by 10am for ordering and collection after 3pm the following working day IF you are luxcky ...sometimes a script left before 10 on a Thursday is not available for collection until the following Tuesday, which was my last experience with Victoza.

jim_slim

Hi I understand that when you have so much going on that you can miss meals & insulin etc. I think you have been very lucky to keep you levels below 25 without using your novarapid.

You are fortunate on your regime that the Novarapid and Lantus gives you a lot more flexibility, In future bear in mind that you don't need to miss injecting or eating. If you are in a rush reduce your dose and have a snack, this will regulate your sugars and you will feel so much better. I find with Lantus that this is the main area to get your dosage correct so try increasing by a couple of units and test your blood to be safe, once you are sorted when you wake up then the rest of the day is easier to control.

Stress and overwork will effect your sugars but the thing with Novarapid is that you can alter your dose to combat either high ot low readings. When I am stressed I have been to known to overdo the booze a bit the main thing is be aware that spirts lower your sugars and lagers etc (pilsner excluded) raise it but the odd glass of wine or short with mixer is ok if you are aware of the effects.

I have been type 1 for nearly 20 years and have always had this juggle with fast acting and long acting insulin and have had to start again a couple of times. With blood testing machines these days they keep a log for you to go back and check so it should be easy to build up a picture of how carbs affect you and how much insulin is required. Remember that most good diabetic nurses will also be able to help.

End of very long message hope it helps even a little bit, just remember that you need to keep yourself well

Skippysmum

I am in the same sort of state with my diabetes. :oops:
My mother suffered a stroke last year & for the last 6 months the family (mainly myself) has looked after her and to be truthful I have thrown myself into cooking cleaning & caring for her & left my own health problems behind festering. :shock:

On Friday I went for my eyes to be photographed & discovered my eyes are haemoraging (not sure if that's spelt right !) :roll:
Over the last few months my blood sugars have run out of control & the neuropathic pain in my feet & legs is driving me mad. :(

I know what I need to do but it is extremley hard when you are used to looking others & not yourself. :oops:
I am lucky in that my Children now have homes & little one's of their own & I have a very understanding Husband ... but in truth I know I need to take care of myself better & I think in this case you need to do the same ... listen to your own body ... easy to say than do I know but we owe it to ourselves.
Good Luck
:wink: