Help scary stuff

markm90

saw a artical about a 34 year old woman with diabetes dying from the complications i was thinking can this happen if only you abuse your insulin e.g not taking it and not managing it

my hba1c was 90 last year its now 69 i am 29 years old ive been up and down with my diabetes but getting to the point were i am controlled taking CBD to stable my sugars also nova rapid nova lantus solo star and metaformin for a better control my kidney function last year was brilliant like it always has been just woundering if this could happen to me i dont drink i smoke ecig CBD and nicotine whats the best advice to give for diabetics like myself

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Frankly the answer probably isn’t CBD.

It’ll be boring stuff like testing more, checking basal dose, adjusting ratios, accurately carb counting and timing of doses.

Without knowing the cause of death for the person mentioned it’s hard to say.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, @markm90 , and welcome to the forum!
Yes, that can happen but no, it doesn't happen often, even in diabetics having trouble getting reasonable numbers.
Before insulin all t1's died within months or a couple of years at the most, so simply not taking your insulin will kill you.

While your hba1c is on the high side, you've already showed a big improvement in the last year, well done!
Have you looked at how you can improve your numbers even more? What would be needed to do that? Have you done a carb counting course and are you testing a lot to find patterns?

D

Deleted member 308541

Frankly the answer probably isn’t CBD.

It’ll be boring stuff like testing more, checking basal dose, adjusting ratios, accurately carb counting and timing of doses.

Without knowing the cause of death for the person mentioned it’s hard to say.
Or nicotine which is a known killer.

Possibly the person who died could not pay the exorbitant price for insulin in the US, as did other T1's die for the same reason in 2019...

markm90

Hi, @markm90 , and welcome to the forum!
Yes, that can happen but no, it doesn't happen often, even in diabetics having trouble getting reasonable numbers.
Before insulin all t1's died within months or a couple of years at the most, so simply not taking your insulin will kill you.

While your hba1c is on the high side, you've already showed a big improvement in the last year, well done!
Have you looked at how you can improve your numbers even more? What would be needed to do that? Have you done a carb counting course and are you testing a lot to find patterns?
thanks yh ive done all that checking sugars etc but thanks its helped me not be scared as long as am taking my meds il be fine Cbd has worked for me for some reason or another ive had more control since taking it even though its not classed as a med it works wounders for me yh 69 is high but i am going get that down even more its the best ive ever been to hit that score

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
69 is high but i am going get that down even more its the best ive ever been to hit that score
Sounds good, grab that bull by the horns!
Please don't hesitate to share your experiences and ask your questions on the forum. While members aren't allowed to advise you on what to do, reading about how others solve particular problems can be very helpful!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
i smoke ecig CBD and nicotine whats the best advice to give for diabetics like myself

Not going to comment on the CND but I will say that you will be doing your body an enormous favour if you drop the nicotine. Unfortunately it is much worse for diabetics than non-diabetics. (Speaking from personal experience as my T1 mum only managed to give up cigarettes when she was 70 - she died at 77 on oxygen and in a wheelchair for her last 6 months - am pretty sure it was the nicotine and not the T1 that killed her.)

As regards the hba1c and diabetic control, much of it is just down to testing, carb counting and working out your insulin ratios. I've always found my control improves drastically when I test more, but you do need to have an idea of what your insulin ratios are and get your basal dose right. Your clinic should help with this if you are unclear, but they'll need to see some accurate blood sugar and food/carb records.

Good luck. I've had several periods of terrible control in my past but am (fairly) happy with them now, I wish you luck on achieving the results you want. (T1 for 49 years, everything's still working :)).

Reactions: Marie 2