Help understanding Blood sugar levels

MPH

Hi Folks
Only diagnosed two weeks ago so still trying to get my head straight from the shock!
Having read up on LCHF mainly via this forum I know that controlling sugar levels is important
Over the last two days I've noticed my levels have come down but not sure if I might be going too far on the low carb side.
Yesterday morning pre food was 4.5
2 Hrs after breakfast of bacon eggs mushrooms in coconut oil 5.2
before lunch (approx. 4 hrs) 4.6 2 hrs after lunch of chicken thighs salad and chorizo with spinach 4.4
Went for walk in morning and again out to pub for evening meal of steak and salad and glass red wine
Tested at supper and down to 4.4 so had half Lidl protein roll with cheese to get me through the night
This morning I was 4.5
Most of the readings I see on here are higher and I have been told as a type 2 I shouldn't be going much under 5
So am I reducing carbs too much or just confusing myself with what's happening because of information overload from too much
research
Thanks in advance

M

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@MPH, welcome and wow! Your readings are amazing. Exactly where they should be. I'm not a T2, but your readings are pretty much normal, which is a good thing. It means what you are doing is good. Ignore the feedback from the medical profession who tell you otherwise! I'm sure other T2s will be along shortly to give you reassurance.

P

paula.nolan42

Hi there, morning

I got diagnosed T2 at the end of November 2015 - but have only started self-testing my BG this past week. Generally speaking in the mornings all my readings are in the 7's & 8's then in the afternoons I go to 6's & 7's then in the evenings I seem to go to 5's and 6's - I am eating 'greatly reduced Carbs' and I am noticing when I jump to over 8.5 and make note of what it was I ate to get me there ! I am trying not to be anal about my readings at the moment because I am in a learning zone now. But my rule of thumb for me is as long as I aim to be under 8.5mmol them I am doing ok. And while my HBA1C is coming down then I know I am going in the right direction. I'm not sure if there is a ratio or guide between BG & HBA1C - as in, my current HBA1C is 53 and my BG's average at 8mmol but when my HBA1C comes down to the 40's will my BGs reflect that and come down to an average of 6 ??

I'm no expert but your readings seem very good to me, I'm sure there are more experienced people who can give you some of their insights.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Folks
Only diagnosed two weeks ago so still trying to get my head straight from the shock!
Having read up on LCHF mainly via this forum I know that controlling sugar levels is important
Over the last two days I've noticed my levels have come down but not sure if I might be going too far on the low carb side.
before lunch (approx. 4 hrs) 4.6 2 hrs after lunch of chicken thighs salad and chorizo with spinach 4.4
Went for walk in morning and again out to pub for evening meal of steak and salad and glass red wine
Tested at supper and down to 4.4 so had half Lidl protein roll with cheese to get me through the night
This morning I was 4.5
Most of the readings I see on here are higher and I have been told as a type 2 I shouldn't be going much under 5
So am I reducing carbs too much or just confusing myself with what's happening because of information overload from too much
research
Thanks in advance

M

Those readings are in good normal range, those are the type of readings I get, when fasting. As long as they don't go above 2mms from your pre meal reading after two hours, that's great.
If you keep it up, then you have great control and what you are doing is right!
Many posters would be jealous of those numbers!
As long as you have steady readings, there is no need to eat before bed, as your body will automatically help you through sleep.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi there, morning

I got diagnosed T2 at the end of November 2015 - but have only started self-testing my BG this past week. Generally speaking in the mornings all my readings are in the 7's & 8's then in the afternoons I go to 6's & 7's then in the evenings I seem to go to 5's and 6's - I am eating 'greatly reduced Carbs' and I am noticing when I jump to over 8.5 and make note of what it was I ate to get me there ! I am trying not to be anal about my readings at the moment because I am in a learning zone now. But my rule of thumb for me is as long as I aim to be under 8.5mmol them I am doing ok. And while my HBA1C is coming down then I know I am going in the right direction. I'm not sure if there is a ratio or guide between BG & HBA1C - as in, my current HBA1C is 53 and my BG's average at 8mmol but when my HBA1C comes down to the 40's will my BGs reflect that and come down to an average of 6 ??

I'm no expert but your readings seem very good to me, I'm sure there are more experienced people who can give you some of their insights.

If you are low carbing, your readings will get lower, as long as you do reduce your carbs, your plate size and increase your exercise.
The readings you are getting for what you call is the experimenting stage is good, but your target of 8mmols is too high, you should target, slowly, down to near normal levels of between 4-6mmols.(ish). As we are all different and you can be happy below or above that figure.
This will take time and hopefully you are recording it in a food diary, to show your medical team what you are achieving, then your Hba1c average will show that.
Certain food types will be no good for you and this is what the 'eat to your meter' refers to.

P

paula.nolan42

but your target of 8mmols is too high, you should target, slowly, down to near normal levels of between 4-6mmols.(ish).

I obviously forgot to be literal enough - the 50 Shades of Diabetes Chart and the NICE recommendations say that BG's after eating should be under 8.5 - this is not 'my' target - this is the level I do not want to be over - and it is only 5 and a half days since I started this BG testing so cut me some slack. - I did say I was learning. You said I should be slowly reducing down to near normal levels - is 5 days not slow enough ????? and I didn't claim to be an expert and only said what I was doing for me in my 5 days of BG testing experience

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Folks
This morning I was 4.5
research
Thanks in advance

M

I wouldn't worry about where your readings are. Most T2s would give an arm and a leg to achieve those, routinely.

Personally, if I had to keep myself at or around 5, I'd constantly be grazing, as I do run low, but I put that down to just how my body works, and to be indicative of it recovering from any onslaught on diabetes.

Keep up your good work. I feel certain if you carry on as you are, your HbA1c will improve significantly, next time around.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I obviously forgot to be literal enough - the 50 Shades of Diabetes Chart and the NICE recommendations say that BG's after eating should be under 8.5 - this is not 'my' target - this is the level I do not want to be over - and it is only 5 and a half days since I started this BG testing so cut me some slack. - I did say I was learning. You said I should be slowly reducing down to near normal levels - is 5 days not slow enough ????? and I didn't claim to be an expert and only said what I was doing for me in my 5 days of BG testing experience

Slack, well and truly cut!

I misread your obviously quite target as your own.

But I did say you were doing well!