Help understanding

Davkay70

Hi all I’m new to diabetes 2 weeks diagnosed, so come home with new test machine and I have tested my kids daughter 1 age 10 fasting test 5.4
Son 2 age 6 fasting 13.0
Should I get him to doctors for blood test ? I might test it over this weekend to have the information to take to doctors on Monday

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Davkay70, Welcome to the site !!
Again just to clarify: what type of diabetes have you been diagnosed with ??

Now from my experience as a Tye 1 diabetic, not as professional advice or opinion:
Finger prick blood test readings can vary:

# If there is any sticky lolly residue, which might contain glucose on one's fingers, that will give a falsely high reading.
So washed hands, fingers, dried off before testing.

# glucose meters have an error rate which means that compared to a set standard their results might be
+ or - a certain percentage. The standard for new machines is supposed to be +/- 5 % but in the past some machines
have been +/- 12 to 15 %..

Even so if your machine was reading 13 mmol/l from your son's drop of blood at an error rate of 15% that is about
11 to 15 mmol/l which is still looks outside the normal range..

(I am using the blood sugar levels (BSLs) quoted on the Home page of this site , under the Living with Diabetes heading,
fat left)

# Of course the timing of the test in relation to food is important:
You will see under Type 1 diabetes, BSLs levels that there is a fasting test levels, on waking up, before any food etc
and another one at least 90 minutes after food.

Sometimes a BSL reading taken 45 to 80minutes after a meal can be higher for various reasons and is not used for testing
except for during pregnancy.
But please record any such results from your son and mention those to your GP too just to be sure.

Please be mindful that finger pricks do hurt, but I hope that gives you some background about testing.

Of course you need to discuss what you are doing and what results you obtain with your GP.

And be mindful not to become too distracted and not look after your own diabetes !!

Best Wishes:):):)

Davkay70

Thank you both,
I have just had gad test to see what type, I’m going keep low intake on him as I do for me and monitor it over the weekend and talk to gp if results show high blood sugar,
When I tested mine this morning it was 10.1 I am on metform and glicazide,
Fasting test this morning I’ll check 2 hour after breakfast

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Son 2 age 6 fasting 13.0

If he's really running that high then you could buy some urine testing strips and use them to test for sugar in urine. If they come up positive then definitely go to your GP. (This is what I used for my kids whenever I was worried they might have diabetes - it's non invasive and will come up positive if they run blood sugars over 10. They are 23 and 27 now, still not diabetic :))

Personally I'm not a fan of testing kids' blood sugars unless you have significant reason for concern (eg they are extra thirsty, wetting the bed, etc). No need to stress them out unnecessarily.