help with my diabetes

courty13

hi all i was diagnosed with diabetes when i was 15 had it perfectlyunder control until i had a very bad hypo and it worried me more then anything else and ever since then ive kept my levels a bit higher then normal ive moved to leeds now and finally got registered at a new doctors and had my bloods done because i had a feeling my hb level was ging to be high they did mention the dafne course to me aswel but said i will get seen by the hospital soon and then go from there i really want to get my levles back to how they should be the girlfriend is helping me i have been told different things to use for a hypo by different doctors and nurses ive been told lucozade is good to have then the other week i got told jelly babies was better someone else told me jam on a spoon was better and i thought it would be good to hear what other diabetics have when they have small hypos ive got mullerlight yoghurts now and wanted to know if they are ok to have because it said carbohydrates of which sugars was 7.0 we have got some stuffed mushrooms for our tea tonight with cheese and spring onions in and i wanted to ask what people thought about having them with some veg aswel i hope to have some replies

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. I'm slightly confused about when you have a hypo and when you are planning to have some extra glucose as you imply you are looking to have extra glucose foods as part of a normal meal? First, if you have had bloods taken for an HBa1C then the results should be available within a few days so do ask the surgery or hospital for the result if your appointment is going to be delayed. I assume you also have a meter to guide you in your blood sugar changes? Unless you are having a hypo of your blood sugar on a meter is less than, say, 4 mmol then you don't need to have any extra glucose other than the carbs you would have with a normal meal. If your blood sugar regularly goes down into the 4 mmol region then perhaps your insulin dose is too high or the regime needs changing? It's not normal to have extra glucose to avoid regular hypos as you should be adjusting your insulin if possible to avoid possible weight gain and to minimise blood sugar swings. If you do need to have some glucose to avoid an imminent hypo then as you suggest there are various options. Glucose tablets are the easiest, or Lucozade. Sweets and jam help but are sucrose based not glucose so a bit slower to act? The Yogurt will also help a bit if needed.

courty13

hi daibell ive got an appointment with the diabetic nurse tomorrow so i will be asking her if she knows when my appointment will come through as i really want to get myself back to how i use to be not worrying about low levels i dont want to change my life i use to play football but i had the bad hypo the morning after i had played and then slowly started to cut it all out. i am also looking for replies from other diabetics what there choices are for breakfast and other meal options