Help with sensor

chambers0508

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
I’ve just replaced my sensor and immediately got the ‘your sensor is not working. Replace sensor’ message. However I don’t have a spare one and it’s 9pm so my local diabetes clinic and doctors are closed. I’m unsure what to do, so looking for some generic advice. Do I wait until morning and phone my diabetic clinic or do I need to get it sorted tonight? I’m newly diagnosed so this is all new to me

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
I’ve just replaced my sensor and immediately got the ‘your sensor is not working. Replace sensor’ message. However I don’t have a spare one and it’s 9pm so my local diabetes clinic and doctors are closed. I’m unsure what to do, so looking for some generic advice. Do I wait until morning and phone my diabetic clinic or do I need to get it sorted tonight? I’m newly diagnosed so this is all new to me
Do you have a glucose meter and strips to finger prick?
Do you usually feel your hypos so you can act on them?

chambers0508

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have a glucose meter and strips to finger prick?
Do you usually feel your hypos so you can act on them?
Yes I have a glucose meter, but I’m just concerned as my low glucose sensor alarm tends to go off a few times in the night as my levels are all over the place still. And I don’t tend to notice the low sugar through the night.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi all
Is the sensor a Libre 2 or a Dexcom G6 or other? You should be finger pricking in the first 24 hours with a new sensor anyway - bedtime, waking, before meals and 5 hours after a meal or when you get symptoms of a hyper or hypo. You will have to contact Abbott for the Libre or the Dexcom companies or other company directly. They will have technical help lines open tomorrow. They will ask you some questions and organise a replacement sensor.
I also finger prick when my blood sugars are outside the normal range with my sensor when it is past the 24 hour mark.

chambers0508

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is the sensor a Libre 2 or a Dexcom G6 or other? You should be finger pricking in the first 24 hours with a new sensor anyway - bedtime, waking, before meals and 5 hours after a meal or when you get symptoms of a hyper or hypo. You will have to contact Abbott for the Libre or the Dexcom companies or other company directly. They will have technical help lines open tomorrow. They will ask you some questions and organise a replacement sensor.
I also finger prick when my blood sugars are outside the normal range with my sensor when it is past the 24 hour mark.
Hiya it’s a libre 2 sensor. My concern is the low glucose alarm at night, I’ve been low through the night a lot recently but haven’t had any noticeable symptoms I just get woken by the alarm. I am worried I may not notice symptoms and just sleep through it, making it worse.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hiya it’s a libre 2 sensor. My concern is the low glucose alarm at night, I’ve been low through the night a lot recently but haven’t had any noticeable symptoms I just get woken by the alarm. I am worried I may not notice symptoms and just sleep through it, making it worse.
When I was first diagnosed and started insulin, I put my alarm on at 12 am and 3 am to check my blood sugars during the night to understand what was happening. After starting with the Libre sensor fortunately I didn't have to do that. If my sensor isn't working, I'm stable enough to not have to do that now. If you are hypo aware, you will wake if your blood sugars are going too low (below 3.5 mmol/l)? How low are you going before the alarm wakes you?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Are you certain the low wasn’t due to a “compression low?” Did you follow up the alarm with a meter to substantiate Libre?