Help with understanding BG readings

babs5489

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all
I’m a new member here - am officially undiagnosed but have been tracking my BG as type 2 runs in family and my mum has recently been diagnosed.

Most random tests have come back as 5.1-5.3 - however did my first fasting test this morning after an hour at the gym and it was 7.3. Is this a high reading to worry about or could the exercise have caused the spike?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We cannot diagnose you. Only a doctor can do that.

Random tests are normally a waste of time and money because they tell you nothing unless you know exactly when they were taken and what you had been doing in the hour or so beforehand.

Fasting tests in the mornings should be taken as soon as you get up and certainly before any exercise, including showers. Yes, exercise changes blood glucose levels especially on an empty stomach.

If you are very concerned, the best thing to do is test yourself before a normal, typical meal and 2 hours later. Forget the morning fasting as they are too unreliable and many factors other than food play a role.

babs5489

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, thank you. Sorry I should’ve been clearer I realise for full diagnosis I will need to visit GP, which I will be doing. Just wondered if excerise can have an effect of levels as I’ve been quite stable until this reading, so thank you for clarifying that it, along with others factors could affect the reading.

Thanks again

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Is your Mum testing as suggested by @Bluetit1802 i.e before the first bite of a meal then two after the first bite? Just in case you are unaware, the difference between the two readings should be no more than 2mmol preferably less than that.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and yes, exercise can cause a spike for me. I think it's the liver thinking you need some extra energy and dumping some glucose for you to use. For me brisk walking or dancing lowers my BG but if I run or add weights or go over 45 minutes then it raises. I often dance for over 3 hours so take some nuts to nibble and that seems to keep the BG down

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, thank you. Sorry I should’ve been clearer I realise for full diagnosis I will need to visit GP, which I will be doing. Just wondered if excerise can have an effect of levels as I’ve been quite stable until this reading, so thank you for clarifying that it, along with others factors could affect the reading.

Thanks again

It isn't just food that affects readings. Exercise has a big effect, stress has even more, even small things such as having a shower. Hormones play a huge part.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
with readings of 5 your very unlikely to be diabetic. however take the opportunity to alter your lifestyle to reduce the risks. stop smoking if you do. lose weight. get your bp checked and try to keep it low. basically live a healthy and happy life and try to not worry about what may happen.